FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Am now about to enter the Dark Side of MC for the first time after prolonged immersion in Bob's wonderful YT videos featuring the AT-33 mono cart.

. . . . .

"Also I like to watch it go round."

My apologies for tempting you! LOL A mono MC is the Dark Side of the already Dark Side MC Wink

I asked some of my YouTube commenters at one point whether a video with a still image over a vinyl rip was enough for them. But they like to watch the record spin! 

"Why Vinyl?" for me is a combination of the sound, the physical product (cover design, labels etc), the ritual of playback and the continuing amazement that dragging a rock through a wobbly groove can actually produce music with stunning sound quality Shocked.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 6:50pm
Bob. you have hit the nail on the head, "Why Vinyl?" this is the same for me.
I like looking at my collection weather on CD or Vinyl.
Someone once said to me, Talk to someone with a passion for Vinyl, they will never give a logical answer to someone that doesn't. I just knew what he meant.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 7:55pm
You are absolutely right about handling the artwork and reading the sleeve notes. And the pleasure of enjoying an old technology that still gives great results.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 6:53am
For me, it just communicates the feel of the music in a better way, sometimes it may not "sound" as good as digital media but almost always feels better and that's really what counts. That's on top of the other wonderful things mentioned above
Derek
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 11:19am
Does anyone know when digital recording became common place and took over from analogue? I read in the sleeve notes of a 1979 Stevie Wonder album 'The Secret Life of Plants' that mention is made of it being digitally recorded  and edited on Sony PCM 1600.  A little digging shows this to be a very early pro video recorder and the use of video format for audio recordings seems to be the source of adopting 44.1kHz frequency ( I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable folk). Remembering that in '79 we were just seeing Commodore PET come into business use with Visicalc and Wordstar, it is interesting to see that cds are said to be invented in the same year becoming common by '82.
So I guess the album was a early trial of digital by Motown but IMO it isn't one of Stevie Wonders best, it served a purpose as a film sountrack and maybe pioneer of the digital take over.

Edited by Mikeh - 11 Aug 2021 at 11:20am
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 2:29pm
The BBC started using PCM feeds to the transmitters in 1972.

Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop" (released in 1979) was the first major label album release in popular music - it had to be released on vinyl or tape because there were no consumer digital playback formats or equipment available.
It'll be the same with the Stevie Wonder LP.

Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 3:35pm
Some lovely evocative comments in this thread about the physical and tactile nature of vinyl (the sleeves, the artwork etc) but, as far as I can see, nobody has mentioned the smell. I love the smell of vinyl records and a warmed up system. There's something comforting about it  -  or is it just me? Embarrassed
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic