FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What's with the bad rap about Grado cartridges?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:58pm
Listening now to one of favourite albums, Depeche Mode "Ultra".

It is well known that this album was recorded digitally, but then passed through a valve stage to give it that particular luscious warmth and make it sound not robotic or too electronic.

The Grado Gold gives a weird performance. It somehow fails on the songs which need to be brutal (such as "Barrel of a gun"): the bass is thumping and fat, but not as raw as it should be. Too smoothed out. On the other hand, it shines in the most intimate tracks: "Love thieves" and "Freestate" have a lovely rendition of the guitar, with lot of decay, and a particular warm rendition of the voice.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:22pm
... and go figure, but with another Depeche Mode album, "Playing the angel", the cartridge really flies.

Considering how this album sounds abrasive and gritty (on CD it's almost unlistenable, and on SACD and vinyl at least it has a decent dynamic range and no clipping, but still a very raw mix), I never would have said that. The Grado really brings out an extra layer of darkness to this fantastic album. Just listen to that hair raising burst of distorted guitar feedback in "The sinner in me": it's so ominous, even more than usual!

It looks more and more like this cartridge is unpredictable: until you try it with a specific album, you'll never know how it will be. Probably the least consistent cartridge I have ever had the pleasure to try, and thus defnitely not recommended as the ONLY cartridge to have: more as an extra to experiment with.

Edited by Lucabeer - 06 May 2019 at 8:28pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:44pm
Strange results. I would've expected similar results on the two DM albums but the production is really different on each. I never liked Ultra all that much but it has grown on me a lot over the years. My only copy is a CD version. 

For PTA, I have the CD and the original UK 2xLP. My vinyl copy is a little rough as I bought it used but the sound is only a little better than the CD IMHO, if at all. I like the music on the album a lot but the recording and mastering are pretty far from "hi-fi". "Raw" as you say is a good descriptor. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Strange results. I would've expected similar results on the two DM albums but the production is really different on each. I never liked Ultra all that much but it has grown on me a lot over the years. My only copy is a CD version. 

It must be said that Ultra is not a great pressing on vinyl. 30 minutes per side is not exactly a recipe for good sound quality.

Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:35pm
Surprise, surprise...

I put the Grado to the test with Muse "Drones", an album with a very "modern" mix (although the double LP pressing is something stellar, in spite of being on red vinyl: one of the most silent and cleanest albums in my collection).

Well, who would have guessed that the Grado could make this album sound so dynamic, with some very appreciated added warmth on the drums and the bass guitar? A bit less CD-like, let me say.

Enormously entertaining and energetic.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:18pm
Oh well, after one week my friend has let me keep his Grado Gold (after all he wasn't using it anymore, after the update to the Platinum) in exchange for a bottle of my whiskies. Big smile

I'll keep using it with pleasure!

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

Oh well, after one week my friend has let me keep his Grado Gold (after all he wasn't using it anymore, after the update to the Platinum) in exchange for a bottle of my whiskies. Big smile

I'll keep using it with pleasure!

I suppose that's a good way to add another fun cart to your stable. Smile
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic