FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What Turntable Mat ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 8:51am
I have not tried any of the commercial solutions but instead use a 1 1/2 inch block of maple wood underneath my turntable and that is isolated from the supporting shelf with silicone rubber feet from Herbie's audio (http://herbiesaudiolab.net/)

Herbie's is a good source of isolation material.

Keith
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Paul P Paul P wrote:

Thanks for that . What about isolation platforms that the Turntable sits on I've seen ones made by Pro-ject and Russ Andrews any thoughts?
I've a couple of platforms from SRM/Tech which do the business for me. Stuart's a nice guy to deal with, and was happy to facilitate a bespoke size platform for my little SL7.

Edit: talking about TT mats you'll see that for the QL1 I ditched the Technics rubber mat and had a copper platter bonded on top of the stock metal (steel?) one. Though the rubber mat deadened the ringing a fair bit, the copper makes it totally dead.

Edited by morris_minor - 03 Jan 2013 at 9:30am
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 10:33am
Those platforms look great Bob. I've used soft wooden cutting boards for small boxes with some success, usually on spikes.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 10:46am
Thanks Jon. I also use some small sorbothane feet under some components - you can just see them under the Solo to the left of the QL1. Whether or not these make any actual difference I don't know LOL. But it's nice to know you're giving the kit the best chance of working well . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Paul P Paul P wrote:

Hello. I was wondering what the difference between a Felt Turntable Mat  a Cork and also a leather one  is ? Thanks .

Just done a quick test with leather and the original felt mat and I thought the leather sounded a little bit clearer but there wasn't much in it.I cant say I noticed any difference in surface noise.

Record Deck ...Rega Planar three (1992)Rega RB300 arm
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 9:43pm
My turntable has a rubber mat. It doesn't seem to attract dust or encourage static buildup, doesn't leave any residue on the vinyl underside and provides plenty of grip so that it would never slip during playback. I only have a cheap £90 Ferguson turntable but the last time I listened to it through a HD250II, I thought it sounded pretty awesome.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 11:45pm
I can second Bobs' comments about the SRM Tech platforms, I have a SRM Silent Base under a Rega Planar 3, my second turntable. The three adjustable feet also make TT levelling a breeze

Edited by Drewan77 - 03 Aug 2014 at 11:46pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic