FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgraded to Ultra Linear!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

To get the levels you require would require a power supply greater than op-amps are designed for, and that got me thinking of it.

Count one paying customer if you can do that! Wink

I shall be completely open to you, Graham: I see that there are headphone amps around from "other designers" that do wattages that are crazily higher than the Solo (albeit with the use of gain switches that you detest...). So high that I wonder if some crazy guy has accidentally blown some headphone drivers with all that power.

But I don't want amps from "other designers", because in 10 years of headphone (and phono stage) usage, I haven't heard anything better than YOUR designs.

The problem here is not your product, but simply a combination of low output MM and "quiet" LPs. The 140 mW that the Solo can do at 32 Ohms with an input of 511 mV RMS should be PLENTY to blow one's ears. The problems is that with such a combination of cartridge AND records, the input goes into a region of about 150-200 mV RMS which is obviously too low (although not because of your fault).

So I will patiently wait. And cost of the final product shall not be a problem. Smile

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:56pm
With sensible impedance load and lower gain/dial positions, a pair of Proprius monoblocks make a very capable headphone amplifier. Higher impedance loads recommended; in-ear devices not recommended. Start with lowest dial positions on everything and creep it up from there to prevent overdriving.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:08pm
Yes, but wouldn't they be overkill, especially considering that all the headphones with a sound signature that I like are between 20 and 32 ohms? 
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm
Yeah, I wouldn't try with impedances that low, although it depends on sensitivity as well.

Edited by Ash - 14 Mar 2019 at 9:09pm
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
If anyone has an old Solo SRG and was in doubt about upgrading to the Ultra Linear, just make an experiment with ONE CD to be immediately won over: Massive Attack "Mezzanine".

The difference in the quality of the bass with this album is IMMENSE with the UL! I am in awe!

capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

If anyone has an old Solo SRG and was in doubt about upgrading to the Ultra Linear, just make an experiment with ONE CD to be immediately won over: Massive Attack "Mezzanine".

The difference in the quality of the bass with this album is IMMENSE with the UL! I am in awe!

I own just about every recording you have made reference to in this thread, and I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Solo with ULDE upgrade as we speak.

I will use your recommendations once it has arrived and compare notes!

Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 1:51pm
And give it time when it arrives!

Two months have passed since my upgrade, and I feel that the tightness of the bass and overall balance has still slightly improved since then.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic