Print Page | Close Window

Upgraded to Ultra Linear!

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Headphone Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Headphone Amps
Forum Description: Questions, answers and product information zone for Graham Slee Headphone Amplifiers
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4675
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Upgraded to Ultra Linear!
Posted By: Lucabeer
Subject: Upgraded to Ultra Linear!
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:49am
Today I received the Ultra Linear DE upgrade card for my Solo!

I have a Solo SRG since January 2009, and I have always been satisfied with it, never felt it lacked anything. After 10 years... well, I simply was curious about the upgrade!

Now, a word to those who might be afraid about doing the upgrade themselves: it's a breeze. The instructions here on the website are very clear, and if you have the right keys/screwdriwers it takes just 15 minutes. Really, it's completely error proof.

Of course now I will leave it plugged before giving it a complete evaluation, but may I say that the bass while not necessarily more plentiful seems much tighter and more controlled, with more slam? Not fatter, meaner.

And just a curiosity from other owners... I guess I had misunderstood this image:

Since I have low impedance headphones (Denon AH-D7000), I was expecting the Ultra Linear to be much louder compared to my early 2009 Solo SRG. I was expecting that the same position on the knob would be louder on the ULDE than on the SRG.

It isn't: I find myself listening at EXACTLY the same knob position I was listening to before the upgrade.

What didn't I understand about that picture? Is it the same for other owners who have done the upgrade?

Replies:
Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:53pm
My take on that diagram is - don't be afraid to turn it up for high impedance headphones or down for low impedance headphones; the sound quality at any setting will as good as at any other. (Which is to say excellent!). I don't think there's very much difference in output (if any) between SRG and ULDE.

I had some Denon D7000 'phones for a while . . . they worked very well indeed with the ULDE!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 3:08pm
Thanks! So I guess that the meaning of that diagram is simply to say "it works great with any impedance", and not that the behaviour of the knob changes according to phone impedance. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
OMG, listening to "Little wonder" (David Bowie, "Earthling" album, green vinyl from MOV)...

It's so much more dynamic than it was before (I had listened to it yesterday before the upgrade), and even when played loud, that naughty infrasonic bass doesn't swallow everything: every intrument stays more separated from it instead of swamped, and detectable.

If it wasn't silly to dance with big headphones, I would be dancing now.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
This was specifically developed for headphone dancing https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/interconnects-cables/headphone-extension-cable.html

Wink

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

This was specifically developed for headphone dancing https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/interconnects-cables/headphone-extension-cable.html

Wink

Clumsy as I am, I would get tangled in a few minutes!

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:03am
Another curiosity arises... I am a controls engineer, so I like to understand things related to gain, phase margin, etc

Since I tend to listen at rather loud volumes, and since I have some LPs which are not cut particularly loud, I tend to have the volume knob often in the 3 o'clock position even with low impedance phones.

If in future I found myself switching to headphones with a larger impedance (but similar sensitivity), would the Z-match system automatically adapt the gain and allow me to listen at the same volume or would I find myself always at 5 o'clock and maybe wishing for more power?

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:04am
In the past, I used a Majestic DAC into Solo Ultra-Linear to drive the AKG K1000. This headphone is 120 Ohm, 76dB/mW. With the drivers placed open about halfway or slightly closer to the ears than that, I do recall having enough gain on DAC pot and headamp pot to achieve high volume. (my Majestic line-out is variable level, not fixed level, though). I have also used HD540II from the Solo, which is 300 Ohm impedance and has a sensitivity around 94dB/mW if I calculated it correctly.

I tried a 600 Ohm HD540 Ref I headphone from the Bitzie once and it could go really loud so the Solo could definitely drive it just as loud. Other people here have also tried planar magnetic headphones with the Solo.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

Another curiosity arises... I am a controls engineer, so I like to understand things related to gain, phase margin, etc

Since I tend to listen at rather loud volumes, and since I have some LPs which are not cut particularly loud, I tend to have the volume knob often in the 3 o'clock position even with low impedance phones.

If in future I found myself switching to headphones with a larger impedance (but similar sensitivity), would the Z-match system automatically adapt the gain and allow me to listen at the same volume or would I find myself always at 5 o'clock and maybe wishing for more power?

The LPs must be very quiet?

My background was in loud music (loud but clear). My last ever dealings in such was 2003 when on commissioning a lecture theatre system, the venue's caretaker and I were enjoying some Who played at concert levels, when several young office workers from elsewhere in the rather large office building begged me to turn it down or off (I of course obliged).

I know what loud is, and that level of loudness is achieved with a Solo ULDE driving 300 ohm Sennheisers (any) and at around the 3 o'clock volume position.

However, I have a brother-in-law who says it's too quiet. John C (a bass guitarist also used to loud music) couldn't believe that, and I was lost for words, and still am.

That is about all I can say on the subject.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 10:08am
Perfectly clear, Graham!

I guess it's very much a matter of taste. Yes, the LPs I was speaking about are very quiet indeed (each side running at 30 minutes... So some compromises had to be made).

And I agree that it might be a matter of personal preference: my wife finds the Solo (the one before the upgrade) already too loud at much lower knob positions than I usually listen at. Let's say that if I listen at 2 o'clock, she won't go on the same record beyond 10 or 11. I might be tempted to say my ears are shot, if I hadn't recently made a test which shows I can still easily hear up to 18 KHz at my age of 44! 😂

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
After almost 30 hours of settling, I am listening to the Solo UL with some very very heavy metal (Ill Nino).

My impression is of complete ease of listening. Even such a heavy, congested and "dirty" kind of music does not give ear fatigue. Bass is plentiful: the difference between the UL and the 2009 SRG is that even when the mix gets really bassy, you can feel the vocals clearly and not swamped in bassy mud. And anyway I am a bit surprised by one thing: I was expecting a completely neutral signature, almost clinical. It's not: it's warm, and I feel that there's a certain "euphonic" quality to the decay of notes. Not a reverb, but it seems like they have more "presence". The same euphonic quality that differentiates vinyl from digital. Overall, anyway the UL seems "natural". Detailed but not shrill.

Is it a mandatory upgrade from the traditional Solo? Maybe not, it's just a 5-10% improvement in bass, airiness and instrument separation. The Solo SRG was 95%, this is 100%. Being a perfectionist, the small investment was anyway very worth it to me. So far, I really like what I hear!

PS: with this "loud" album on CD, I dare not go beyond 12 o'clock position on the volume knob

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:43pm
It's great to read of the pleasure the new amp has brought you. Happy listening!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:56pm
3 o'clock position on the Solo ULDE into 300 Ohm Sennheisers?? That would probably be uncomfortably loud but it depends on the preamp level going into it too. For headphones like HD600, the upper bass would thump my head in at 3 o'clock. The HD250 with shallow sealed pads would be a bass monster. HD540II would lose its sound balance and the treble would stick out of the mix and be quite fatiguing. HD800 is even more sensitive and would leave me with ringing ears at 3 o'clock if I listened for too long.

Although my ears hurt when I'm in the street and an ambulance passes with blaring siren.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:34pm
Listening to The White Stripes "Icky Thump" on vinyl now (2 LP all-analogue cut by Steve Hoffman)... "Impacftul" is an understatement. 4 o'clock position, and yes, the bass thumps in my head (I feel air being sucked on each drum beat), but that's how I like it.

(cartridge Ortofon 2M Black, into Reflex M preamp, into Solo UL via CuSat 50 cables, into Denon AH-D7000)

You know what makes the Solo ULDE seem "a tad bit less loud that I would like it to be"? That it does NOT distort. As a consequence, you can crank it up, and still find it tolerable to the ears. Of course, it would still be dangerous on the long term, but the lack of distortion or unpleasantness makes it seem enjoyable and it invites to turn it up. Dangerous! LOL

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:26pm
The D7000 has a bass hump (it's far from flat) so it will be quite prominent even at lower volumes. The bass is very clear IIRC but is certainly elevated so loud volume would exacerbate this. Nightclub roomshaking bass in the ear 'ole.

These days, I often judge the evenness of frequency response of a headphone or speaker by how much information I can hear from it at very low volume. If the device conveys an even emphasis of the frequencies, very low volume is enough to be extremely resolving of nuances. Crank it up a bit for extra immersion and the balance/nuances should remain unchanged. If certain aspects of the mix are much more difficult to pick out when listening at lower volume, it may be that the relative difference in level is masking over particular nuances.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:38pm
Question to Graham... Is it possible that the UL design reduces surface noise on vinyl?

Because now I am playing Madonna "Ray of light", which has never been the cleanest of pressings. And it is showing NO surface noise at all. I remember you saying that the "wide bandwidth" approach of the Reflex M helps in reducing tics and tocs, so I was wondering if having now the same approach on the Solo could play a part in it.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

The D7000 has a bass hump (it's far from flat)

That's why I like it. No headphone can ever reproduce the "fist in your chest" that speakers can easily do. The Denon comes close.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 10:11pm
I enjoyed 'Icky Thump' earlier this evening through my Proprius amps and GX300 speakers. Arguably not a hifi recording but definitely great music. IMO

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I enjoyed 'Icky Thump' earlier this evening through my Proprius amps and GX300 speakers. Arguably not a hifi recording but definitely great music. IMO

Well, it's raw and dirty, but visceral. It's meant to be that way. Mastering and cutting IS hifi, though, meaning that it perfectly puts on vinyl the sound it was meant to have. Steve Hoffman knows his stuff: another work of him that I love is Red Hot Chili Peppers 4LP "Stadium Arcadium". Blows the double CD away.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 11:47pm

Question to Graham... Is it possible that the UL design reduces surface noise on vinyl?

An amplifier having little in the way of phase and gain margin, or one suffering from parasitics, will ring, or accentuate, sharp/high frequency transients, which might sound "richer" but also makes record surface noise more prominent.

This is something which stands out when auditioning design work with vinyl as the source, and as many of my customers started with one of my phono stages, I know I need to make my designs, which will most likely be used to listen to vinyl, as "quiet" as possible. This requires a considerable amount of work in dealing with parasitics, phase and gain margins, and is one of the reasons I'm not that prolific in introducing new products - it takes such a long time.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:54pm
The ultimate test for any music system... A great album, but an album with a congested and veiled mix. Definitely not as clean as "Selling England by the Pound". How will it fare?

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:17pm

The ultimate test for any music system... A great album, but an album with a congested and veiled mix. Definitely not as clean as "Selling England by the Pound". How will it fare?

Know it very well, and it's such a bad recording complete with mains hum. Very bright and brittle in places. The Chamber of 32 Doors has Gabriel's voice multitracked and can sound extremely brittle. The band members sound like they couldn't hack it (or Hackett...), probably because Gabriel was using it as his resignation from the band?

I use it as one of my test records and admit it's a challenge.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:24pm
Well, one thing is sure from this spin with the Solo UL: I had never heard Mike Rutherford's intricate playing stand out so well. It still isn't a perfectly mixed album, but again I feel more separation between instruments than ever.

Very enjoyable!

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:46pm
Today it's Peter Gabriel "Up" on SACD (with Oppo BDP-205D player).

I can definitely say that the bass with ULDE is much tighter, meaner and harder than with the 2009 SRG. And this is an album which heavily relies on its percussions ("Growing up" puts my headphones to the limit). Well done!

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Today I have listened to some more music:

- Depeche Mode "Violator" and "Exciter" on SACD: wonderful, wonderful. I know these albums by heart, and the warmth WITH transparency brought by the Solo ULDE to them is absolutely stellar. Listen to those electronic drums and the vocals in Exciter!!!!!
- Rage Against the Machine S/T on SACD (Steve Hoffman remaster): raw, visceral music. Violent, nasty, meant to played at ear-shattering volumes. But still, in spite of this, it's a reference recording like few others. The ULDE impressed me in showing how such an angry, punkish and ripping album can still have finesse, dynamic sound (absolutely not the crappy compressed and congested digital loudness feast that many "hard"/metal albums usually are). Exciting to say the least. I am listening to it at high volumes, and it's aggressive, but never fatiguing: kudos to both Steve Hoffman for the mixing and to Graham for the amping.

Overall, after 4 days, I can reasonably say that the components in the upgrade have settled (I understand electronics burn-in, but I think that it doesn't take more than a couple of days in my experience).

And that said, I must say this ULDE upgrade was well worth it. Fantastic sounding headphone amp, that I would recommend to anyone. The ease of listening and dynamics are wonderful. After a couple of hours with the SRG, I would take a break. With the ULDE, I would like to go on listening.

I can really find only one suggestion to give to Graham for foture evolutions: I would like to have a little bit more gain on it. I don't plan to upgrade headphones soon, and if I will, it will be for the Bowers & Wilkins P9 which are even more efficient than my Denons. But I would like to have the freedom to try some less sensitive headphones sooner or later. I know... I listen to music at too loud levels, which are probably not safe on the long term. But I also drink a lot of single malt, beer and wine, and I smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars. I would like to choose my own weapon for hurting me instead of being "limited".

That said, with my current headphones, I have NO complaints at all: between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock, my craving for ear-blasting volume is satisfied even on quiet recordings (albeit with a digital source or a MM cartridge with a high-ish output voltage level).

And my wife, who tested it today with a few CDs too, says I am crazy anyway and that she'll never feel the need to go beyond 11 o'clock. LOL

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm

But I also drink a lot of single malt, beer and wine, and I smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars. I would like to choose my own weapon for hurting me instead of being "limited".

I can only manage cigarettes these days - all the other things on your list started making me very ill ... Wink

I will up the 100 things I want to do before I die list to 101 to include the desired headphone weapon just for you Wink

But it might take some time.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:14pm

I will up the 100 things I want to do before I die list to 101 to include the desired headphone weapon just for you Wink

Joking aside, as a controls engineer, I perfectly understand that "more gain" (pushing the Bode diagram to the right) equals "less phase margin", and that electronics design is a compromise.

No hurry about that "gain improvement", then, if it means a compromise on sound quality.

Wink

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:00pm
Graham, just to give you an idea about the kind of "gain" improvement you might be considering...

1) Aerosmith "Pump" LP, which is cut at -1/-0.5 dB peak and circa -13 dB RMS. Played with Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge (declared as 3 mV output, so quite low), into Reflex M (41 dB gain), into Solo Ultra Linear DE, with Denon AH-D7000 cans (effective sensitivity: circa 99 dB/mW). To be listening at my desired (loud) SPL, I have to crank the Solo to 4 o'clock position. And it's fine for me.

2) Sinatra "Swinging Session" LP, cut at -2/-3 dB peak and circa -20 dB RMS. Same configuration as above. With this album, I have the Solo volume maxed out to 5 o'clock, and it's satisfying... but at the same time it's a bit worrying because I have no headroom left in case I wanted to use less efficient headphones.

Of course, I could use my Ortofon 2M Black which has a much higher output... but with jazz the Nagaoka is SO SWEET. So you see that the "problem" only comes out with albums which are cut quite low (-20 dB RMS) AND when using a lowish output MM cartridge such as the wonderful Nagaokas.

No problems with CDs of course.

So one alternative could be having more gain in a theoretical Solo UL+: let's say ten times the rated output for the rated input it has now. The other could be having a "Reflex M+" which does something like 48 dB gain (but then again, it might saturate and clip with hot cartridges?).

Food for thought enough?

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm

Aerosmith "Pump" LP, which is cut at -1/-0.5 dB peak and circa -13 dB RMS

Where did you derive such figures?

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:17pm
From needledrops on the Dynamic Range Database.

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:16pm
So it's based on someone else' digital recording of a bit of vinyl?
I'd drop that as evidence of anything other than there's a signal of some sort .....

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:30am
On average, I find that this database is rather reliable for understanding which recordings are hotter and which ones are softer (the numbers are consistent with what my ears say).

Between two albums with similar peak values, the one with lower rms always sounds lower in volume.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:06pm

That said, with my current headphones, I have NO complaints at all: between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock, my craving for ear-blasting volume is satisfied even on quiet recordings (albeit with a digital source or a MM cartridge with a high-ish output voltage level).

And my wife, who tested it today with a few CDs too, says I am crazy anyway and that she'll never feel the need to go beyond 11 o'clock. LOL

Wacko..I cannot push my ATH-900 much past 9 o'clock

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:16pm
The 900 was a very efficient headphone: it requires around 1/5th of the mW power of my Denons to reach a comparable sound pressure level, so that explains why it sounds louder indeed.  

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
Years ago I made a voltage stage for a power amplifier which never got finished (client cancelled).

As it featured a constant current source designed to drive a hefty output stage I thought it wouldn't be too upset driving my 600 ohm senny's (via a DC blocking capacitor of course).

I remember to this day how nice it sounded. Obviously that was then and my expectations might (will) have changed.

To get the levels you require would require a power supply greater than op-amps are designed for, and that got me thinking of it.

I reckon with a decent output stage to buffer it you might find it loud enough, and that's why I considered adding a 1 to the 100 things...

But as I said, it could take a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:54pm

To get the levels you require would require a power supply greater than op-amps are designed for, and that got me thinking of it.

Count one paying customer if you can do that! Wink

I shall be completely open to you, Graham: I see that there are headphone amps around from "other designers" that do wattages that are crazily higher than the Solo (albeit with the use of gain switches that you detest...). So high that I wonder if some crazy guy has accidentally blown some headphone drivers with all that power.

But I don't want amps from "other designers", because in 10 years of headphone (and phono stage) usage, I haven't heard anything better than YOUR designs.

The problem here is not your product, but simply a combination of low output MM and "quiet" LPs. The 140 mW that the Solo can do at 32 Ohms with an input of 511 mV RMS should be PLENTY to blow one's ears. The problems is that with such a combination of cartridge AND records, the input goes into a region of about 150-200 mV RMS which is obviously too low (although not because of your fault).

So I will patiently wait. And cost of the final product shall not be a problem. Smile

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:56pm
With sensible impedance load and lower gain/dial positions, a pair of Proprius monoblocks make a very capable headphone amplifier. Higher impedance loads recommended; in-ear devices not recommended. Start with lowest dial positions on everything and creep it up from there to prevent overdriving.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:08pm
Yes, but wouldn't they be overkill, especially considering that all the headphones with a sound signature that I like are between 20 and 32 ohms? 

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm
Yeah, I wouldn't try with impedances that low, although it depends on sensitivity as well.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
If anyone has an old Solo SRG and was in doubt about upgrading to the Ultra Linear, just make an experiment with ONE CD to be immediately won over: Massive Attack "Mezzanine".

The difference in the quality of the bass with this album is IMMENSE with the UL! I am in awe!

Posted By: capetownwatches
Date Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:49pm

If anyone has an old Solo SRG and was in doubt about upgrading to the Ultra Linear, just make an experiment with ONE CD to be immediately won over: Massive Attack "Mezzanine".

The difference in the quality of the bass with this album is IMMENSE with the UL! I am in awe!

I own just about every recording you have made reference to in this thread, and I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Solo with ULDE upgrade as we speak.

I will use your recommendations once it has arrived and compare notes!

-------------
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol

Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 1:51pm
And give it time when it arrives!

Two months have passed since my upgrade, and I feel that the tightness of the bass and overall balance has still slightly improved since then.

Posted By: capetownwatches
Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:21pm
Ah now that's where it gets interesting because the unit I've bought is "gently pre-loved" and although it literally looks brand new, I cannot get more accurate feedback on usage than "very little"...! Ermm

I will inspect carefully when it arrives prior to switch on.

-------------
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol

Posted By: Hbuus
Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:13pm

After almost 30 hours of settling, I am listening to the Solo UL with some very very heavy metal (Ill Nino).

My impression is of complete ease of listening. Even such a heavy, congested and "dirty" kind of music does not give ear fatigue. Bass is plentiful: the difference between the UL and the 2009 SRG is that even when the mix gets really bassy, you can feel the vocals clearly and not swamped in bassy mud. And anyway I am a bit surprised by one thing: I was expecting a completely neutral signature, almost clinical. It's not: it's warm, and I feel that there's a certain "euphonic" quality to the decay of notes. Not a reverb, but it seems like they have more "presence". The same euphonic quality that differentiates vinyl from digital. Overall, anyway the UL seems "natural". Detailed but not shrill.

For me, something has a completely neutral sound signature if it portrays the source material faithfully without adding or subtracting anything sound-wise. To my ears, ULDE does this. 

Btw. funny story:

After buying an audio interface with a quite good headphone amplifier, I sold my ULDE because I thought it was a little overkill for me to keep it, now that I had the headphone amp in the audio interface. But guess who regretted that sale almost immediately afterwards! The headphone amp in the audio interface gives me fatigue, and it's not as detailed or natural-sounding as the ULDE. So now another ULDE is on my desk. I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay at a decent price. This time it's going nowhere - ever!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net