FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Voices In My Head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Gidders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gidders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Voices In My Head
    Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:50pm
I usually listen to my system via the speakers, but whenever I have to use my headphones the music sounds as though its inside my head. I get instruments placed left, right & centre but on a very small stage.

Do I need better headphones? Or a better headphone amp? Or is it a function of headphone listening compared to speakers?

My headphones are old Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation and my headphone amp is a cheap QED MB45 which connects in the tape loop of my Naim pre amp.
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:54pm
Try a direct signal via a Solo Ultra Linear DE by contacting Fatmangolf on the loaner program.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:22am
The "inside the head" sensation is a characteristic of headphones unfortunately. In my experience, with standard recordings, Graham Slee electronics like a Bitzie or Solo paired with something like a HD250II or HD540II or even a HD800 will transform the inside of the head into an enormous vast expanse of sound with astounding clarity and resolution. However, the sound is still ultimately inside the head because the sound from headphone drivers originates so close to each ear and without physical interaural crosstalk (each ear only hears one channel), the full extent of the soundstaging is compromised. Increasing the ear-to-driver distance in a headphone earcup enclosure increases the enclosed space/air around the ears, permitting improved stereo imaging in my experience.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Gidders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gidders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Try a direct signal via a Solo Ultra Linear DE by contacting Fatmangolf on the loaner program.

Thanks for the suggestion...

1. by direct signal - do you mean connecting the source component straight to the headphone amp rather than via my 82 pre amp? If so that will mean re connecting my system each time I swap from speakers to headphones :(
  2. most of my listening is done via my speakers so I'd find it difficult to justify that level of expenditure - will I not get a bigger soundstage with one of the lesser amps?
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
1. It depends on the capability of the preamp. You will find out by comparing direct connection with your existing preamp connection.

2. The loaner scheme was established to enable you and others try as many products as you like, so please do.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
Do not ask me to explain this!

Every headphone system I have ever used has the sounds whizzing around inside your head phenomenon. The "headstage" is inside mostly. But. I have this one headphone jack adaptor..just a normal one mind, nothing fancy or bespoke. I have several other connectors, but using this specific one somehow pushes the entire headstage outside my head! That means all the stage is placed in front of me. In a round circle. As if you are looking towards a concert stage, and not sat in the middle of it. Panned instruments don't even come directly out of the earpads but slightly in front of them. I cannot replicate this astonishing "outside of the head" presentation any other way. But somehow it works. And no its not crossfeed.

My 'phones are normal Audeze LCD2s.

You think you are puzzled??!!!
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
I had an adapter lead which gave a similar effect. I found it had a small resistor in the 0V path.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic