Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4244
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Voices In My Head
Posted By: Gidders
Subject: The Voices In My Head
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:50pm
I usually listen to my system via the speakers, but whenever I have to use my headphones the music sounds as though its inside my head. I get instruments placed left, right & centre but on a very small stage.

Do I need better headphones? Or a better headphone amp? Or is it a function of headphone listening compared to speakers?

My headphones are old Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation and my headphone amp is a cheap QED MB45 which connects in the tape loop of my Naim pre amp.

-------------
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2

Replies:
Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:54pm
Try a direct signal via a Solo Ultra Linear DE by contacting Fatmangolf on the loaner program.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:22am
The "inside the head" sensation is a characteristic of headphones unfortunately. In my experience, with standard recordings, Graham Slee electronics like a Bitzie or Solo paired with something like a HD250II or HD540II or even a HD800 will transform the inside of the head into an enormous vast expanse of sound with astounding clarity and resolution. However, the sound is still ultimately inside the head because the sound from headphone drivers originates so close to each ear and without physical interaural crosstalk (each ear only hears one channel), the full extent of the soundstaging is compromised. Increasing the ear-to-driver distance in a headphone earcup enclosure increases the enclosed space/air around the ears, permitting improved stereo imaging in my experience.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Try a direct signal via a Solo Ultra Linear DE by contacting Fatmangolf on the loaner program.

Thanks for the suggestion...

1. by direct signal - do you mean connecting the source component straight to the headphone amp rather than via my 82 pre amp? If so that will mean re connecting my system each time I swap from speakers to headphones :(
  2. most of my listening is done via my speakers so I'd find it difficult to justify that level of expenditure - will I not get a bigger soundstage with one of the lesser amps?

-------------
Gidders
---------
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
1. It depends on the capability of the preamp. You will find out by comparing direct connection with your existing preamp connection.

2. The loaner scheme was established to enable you and others try as many products as you like, so please do.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: dillon
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
Do not ask me to explain this!

Every headphone system I have ever used has the sounds whizzing around inside your head phenomenon. The "headstage" is inside mostly. But. I have this one headphone jack adaptor..just a normal one mind, nothing fancy or bespoke. I have several other connectors, but using this specific one somehow pushes the entire headstage outside my head! That means all the stage is placed in front of me. In a round circle. As if you are looking towards a concert stage, and not sat in the middle of it. Panned instruments don't even come directly out of the earpads but slightly in front of them. I cannot replicate this astonishing "outside of the head" presentation any other way. But somehow it works. And no its not crossfeed.

My 'phones are normal Audeze LCD2s.

You think you are puzzled??!!!

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
I had an adapter lead which gave a similar effect. I found it had a small resistor in the 0V path.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:08pm
Ahhh that was my thinking at best Graham. But I'm not gonna admit that until now. I do have an upgrade cable on the phones which may indeed be the source of the issue. The great thing is it works beautifully with my Solo ULDE yaaay!!

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:18pm
Sounds like a partial version of the out of phase (left minus right) effect you can get by pulling the stereo jack out slightly so the left and right transducers are in series and share the right channel. Not what the manufacturer intended!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:36pm
Yes i thought that too Jon. And that is easily demonstrated. But in this case, the actual presentation is spot on sonically and far superior to the in your head presentation coming from the other "normal" connectors. No signal loss at all. Strange but true! I'm going with Graham's view as I don't have another explanation. And going to listen some more to my front of noggin headstage!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:57pm
The K1000 with "wings" fully out gives a very spatial image that typically wraps all around the wearer's head, sometimes around the back. I have not experienced that presentation with anything else. Along with its excellent bass weight and foot-tapping pace, it's very impressive. I will have to try them both with binaural recordings again before I get them sold.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by dillon dillon wrote:

Yes i thought that too Jon. And that is easily demonstrated. But in this case, the actual presentation is spot on sonically and far superior to the in your head presentation coming from the other "normal" connectors. No signal loss at all. Strange but true! I'm going with Graham's view as I don't have another explanation. And going to listen some more to my front of noggin headstage!

I also think Graham is right. You were hearing a combination of normal headphone sound and the out of phase sound.

The circuit Graham described could be built with a variable resistor (potentiometer) for a blending or a fixed resistor switched in series with the common return/ground to go from normal operation through your auditory experience to the full out of phase. I also have a pair of LCD2's and am curious to explore the sound you heard. Do you have you got a multimeter to measure the resistor of the extension you were using?

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:10pm
Busy at work and I couldn't lay my hands on the bits to rig this up so I may pop into Maplin tomorrow and make up an out of head adaptor to try with my LCD2's (and other headphones). If so, do you want to try it Dil and let me know what you think?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 9:31pm
Yes definitely Jon! I am not technical enough to understand what is going on so solving this puzzle will be cool. I forget what actual cable it is but do know its very low capacitance.

No soz I don't have a multimeter!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

The K1000 with "wings" fully out gives a very spatial image that typically wraps all around the wearer's head, sometimes around the back. I have not experienced that presentation with anything else. Along with its excellent bass weight and foot-tapping pace, it's very impressive. I will have to try them both with binaural recordings again before I get them sold.

Hey Ash

Yes with the K1000 wings, I can easily understand how they place the soundstage around you. My oh my, you are selling those? Have you found different phones you like better? My LCDs are traditional open backed planar magnetics - with membranes focusing sound directly into your ears though. I am not getting any obvious out of phase issues at all. Everything is present and correct. If anything I am getting fatter and deeper bass, more weight and spatiality. Hence the puzzle. Which may not actually be a puzzle. Then again...

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:49pm
I got out to Maplin today and will solder up the parts tonight. If my rig works like you described I listen a bit and then send you it to try next Dil.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:56pm
I used a 47R preset resistor in the earth/return line the left and right transducer share as their - terminal. The variation allowed me to try me some options with resistor value/preset settings. The sound on minimum resistance is pretty close to plugging the LCD's jack plug straight into the socket of the extension lead I use. At 47R (close to the headphones' impedance) it is a thin (little bass) sound verging on the single channel out of phase sound I wrote about above.

The sound got more interesting in the bottom quarter of the preset around 10 ohms where the headphones were quite full sounding but wider. The effect is pretty much that of the stereo width expanders that used to appear on graphic equalisers (Wicker Man moment!) and had a noticable effect on some mixes. Worth a little more listening before I send it onto Dillon!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Dillon Dillon wrote:

My oh my, you are selling those? Have you found different phones you like better?

Yeah, I recently bought another second K1000 as a listening reference. Both the ones I have sound really excellent (I can barely fault them - true studio monitor response, to be honest) but I have speaker drivers that I will be able to get sounding just as fantastic, if not more so. So keeping the two expensive K1000s doesn't make much sense financially; mentally, they've given me a high expectations of speaker sound and more of an idea what to aim for with tweaking speakers. I don't personally believe that there is a better overall headphone than the K1000s I've already used. MySphere 3.1 is too expensive for what it is (it's also positioned closer to the ears) and frankly, I'm just not interested in headphones anymore. For me, earpad headphones don't cut it for primary listening - too spatially constricted. I've already compared the K1000 against the HD800 with a sensible brain instead of "golden ears" and preferred the K1000. Not bothering trying electrostatics either; too expensive for me and they will most certainly compromise something sonically too. All technologies have their own set of compromises. I now believe that my highest enjoyment of my music will be from speakers like my MA 10P and 12P. Neutral transparent sound with very high resolution - they don't need to be perfect for me to thoroughly enjoy using them.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 9:55pm
Apologies for cross weaving the earlier theme but I have just been listening to the 'can opener' adaptor and it has widened the image. Sounds panned hard left and right in mixes seem to be outside the headphones. I know this is because the some of the signal is also appearing out of phase on the other transducer but it is quite fun to listen to. Like Dil wrote earlier some backing vocals and other instruments are pushed outside their normal position.

As you'd expect there is centre cancellation so main vocals, bass parts and other centrally positioned sound drop in volume slightly but are still quite audible in headphones. For a fiver of parts from the high street it is an interesting sound option.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:06pm
I have had another listen to the 'Can Opener'and am still enjoying the novelty of the wider sound stage. I will send you it Dil in the next week if I can.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:12am
Some 30 years or so ago the HiFi press reviewed a glossy black plastic project box bearing the words 'can opener'.

As far as I can gather it had attenuation circuitry (resistors) to drop the level from speaker level, and one "Hafler resistor" to obtain a wide effect. However, as headphone impedances range from 5 to 600 Ohms it would not be very effective on some/most.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
Hpw did you know I was wondering if anyone had used my corny device name before? Yes Hafler resistor is a quite good name for the ground lift, makes me think of the inductors I used for surround speakers wired across the left and right channels. Way before Pro Logic and digital AC3, etc. etc.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:03pm
Yes, way before... Amstrad called it Quadrasound on their IC2000 Mk4 in 1972, and it made the amp sound so much better (otherwise it was Censored).

There were also fun devices to play with in broadcast such as M+S stages, which stands for mono and stereo where the mono is L and R summed and stereo is L - R obtained by summing +L with -R, or as they prefered to call it A and B. Obviously (to some) this is the way FM is transmitted where the mono signal is needed for transistor radios and the stereo is on the "upper deck" (above 19kHz I think?) which a stereo receiver decodes, and so on...

Then there were all sorts of stereo width controllers which do similar to the Hafler idea, going from mono through stereo to extra-wide stereo, using varying degrees of negative and positive crosstalk, and in most cases requiring a 4-gang pot.

The temptation is often to use spin-offs of such things to gain a sensational sound in ones products but these days reviewers have easier access to analytical test gear. Apart from the crossfeed Voyager experiment I have never used any of these tricks.

Oh, and don't get me started on the atmospheric way-out sounds obtained by bandwidth limiting (sine waves become sawtooth) or by operating amps in their unstable region, and there was once a phono stage in which 50Hz hum magically disappeared, and so did 50Hz signal because it had a sharp notch filter. Audiophiles just loved the sound of massive LF phase shifts...

A lot of these gimmicks were used during the early 80s when many a reviewer stopped using test gear and reviewed solely by ear, and such manufacturers made great financial gains from it.

But not me.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:42pm
I'm not sure where I picked up that L-R with inductor idea, probably from a good friend's dad, a postman who built speaker cabinets and tinkered with stereos/hifi. Also he was a great jazz drummer!

You will know I meant before analogue channel steering and discrete digital channels not the quad era. BTW I use my main ribbon mike to pick up the side signal sometimes rather than crossed mikes and I do mix middle and side.

Back to topic it is a gimmick I agree but harmless fun. Sound engineering and repeatable measurements is why your gear consistently delivers Graham.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I have had another listen to the 'Can Opener'and am still enjoying the novelty of the wider sound stage. I will send you it Dil in the next week if I can.

All fascinating stuff Jon and co. Yups cheers, I need to hear your DIY can opener.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:42am
I must admit I've hardly listened to it due todoing other things and must get it out to you this week.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
I've had good feedback from Dillon since he's had the Can Opener and thought that I should make another for myself. I bought a couple of the stereo headphone splitters Maplin sell (adaptor with 1/4 inch stereo jack plug connected in parallel to two 1/4 inch stereo sockets) and opened one up with a modelling knife. My idea is to have a wide and very wide option.

If anyone is interested I'll post photos but if you have the right tools you probably know what to do already!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

If anyone is interested I'll post photos but if you have the right tools you probably know what to do already!

Yes please Jon :)

-------------
Gidders
---------
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
I'm interested too Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 11:32am
Soz been ultra busy again...

Well, it's fair to say Jon and Graham's theoretical ruminations on this effect are right on the ball. The can opener does exactly what my weird adapter does. Scientific method stipulates theory must be demonstrable to become a proper accepted Theory, and here we have a great example of that. The presentation is indeed pushed further out than normal. I am finding a slight emphasising of high frequencies, and left and right ear sounds are pushed out in the lateral plane away from the ears and closer to the soundstage/headstage. Imagine a dome going from your outer ears, with sounds wider and with more distance from the plane of the ears.

There is no right or wrong. It's simply just two differing presentations of the music. And fun! Mix and match or choose one or the other. Don't really matter. Sit in the middle of a mix, or further back. As Jon said to me, variety is the spice of life.

Oh and thank you Jon for the gift if the can opener! Sweet.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:05pm
As resistor values will/should/probably differ with headphone impedance would it be an idea to have a two pole multiway switch with a number of resistor values, and possibly mount it and input and output stereo jack sockets in an (upturned) plastic project box?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
Thank you for your quick responses and that's a good idea Graham. For the protoype I just used a 50 ohm preset pot thinking it would work for 16 - 50 ohm headphones and allow the effect to be varied. I didn't measure the setting before sending it off but it looked under a quarter so 12 ohms or so.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
I wish I had taken a photo of the simple but effective rig I sent to Dil. He may oblige with a quick upload, please.

That was minimum parts for maximum benefit - one 1/4 jack socket and one 1/4 jack plug with the L and R tags soldered together, and a variable resistor between their ground tags. I'll photograph the Maplin stereo jack Y-adaptor and its internal parts at the weekend, and show how the can opener can be built.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:41am
I was going to build another unit this weekend like the one I sent to Dil but it's harder to get the parts quickly. Here is a drawing of what I built using a 50 ohm present pot:
The Can-opener by JGB
*The open plastic jack sockets usually have two sets of tags, one side which I used makes contact with the plug when it is inserted, whilst its contact with the other side is disconnected.

The effect of the reistance in the shared earth or return path is to cancel out some of the central (or 'middle') signal that appears on both left and right. This lowers the relative volume of centrally positioned sounds in the mix, which will include lead vocals and some of the bass usually panned there. In doing so it raises the level of the sounds on the left and right of the mix (the 'side' signal). Some of the signal from the left channel will return via the right channel but out of phase, and vice-versa, giving the widening effect as well as changing the balance of middle and side. This makes the stereo image wider hence the 'voices outside my head' effect. I think you could regain some of the low bass with an inductor in parallel with the resistor but it would shift the phase and so have worse side effects I imagine!

You can vary from no widening or standard sound with the pot at zero or fully anticlockwise on my drawing to a much wider sound. The latter will be close to the sound Dil experienced when his extension lead had a partial connection on the ground or return signal. The extreme version would be having no ground connection so the signal is only the 'side' signal heard centrally in mono. With the pot it's a bit less extreme but does make an audible difference to music in stereo. With my LCD-2's I found my preference was for the pot at about one quarter which is probably around 10 ohms, give or take. As the LCD-2's are fairly flat impedance of about 50 ohms, that may help to estimate a starting position for different headphones.

Have fun!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:26pm
My use of the stereo splitter adaptor was the next stage to make something more compact. Based on my experience with the pot setting, I decided to try  standard resistors of 8 ohms and 16 ohms. Low wattage resistors will probably be fine at the volume I listen to my headphones. You can do the same quick calcs I did using V=I/R and P=Vsquared/R.

The adaptor would give two sockets that offer widening options slightly below and slightly about the 10-12 ohms on the pot, the third option of standard sound being achieved by removing the adaptor of course. A quick hookup with some crocodile leads and a pair of 8R2 resistors suggests I am in the right area. It would be interesting to hear how the sound of headphones with impedances that vary with frequency are effected by the can-opener.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:05pm
I will try and upload some photos in a bit when I get home.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 5:38pm
Sent some photos to Jon and he will upload them as I am rubbish at resizing! 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm
Here they are, thanks again Dil.
Dils photo of Jons Can-opener 1

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:24pm
Neat!

Suggestion for those with 300 Ohm headphones: try a 33 or 39 Ohm fixed resistor. It should give a similar ratio. I think the Haffler resistor for 8 Ohm speakers was 1 Ohm (maybe?).

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:32pm
Have to say the can opener is built extremely well too. Tough and resilient, and better put together than many "professional" such gadgets that cost a bomb but fall apart after a day. I have mishandled it a tad - no problem! Great work Jon.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:12am
Thank you! Who's getting their soldering iron to make their own Can-opener then?

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net