New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 12:24pm
Andy,
don't know about in the UK, but out here the 1200 is silver the 1210 is the black variant.
Not that that answers your question, but maybe have a look on www.kabusa.com
Good source of bits and tweaks and links.
Another tip, Origin Live (and others) make arm bases for SL1200 that allow mounting of Rega and SME arms, I would imagine that within the available mounting space, it would be possible to mount a variety of other arms if you wanted.
Perhaps the mods I would consider most would be to rewire the arm and change over the base to a DIN plug fitting and fit Jelco Crimson leads and RCA plugs and fit the damping trough mod.  Maybe try one or two aftermarket mats and a record clamp.
Best mod (IMO) - fit a Denon DL160 and drop it into your favourite vinyl ASAP (after connecting to a Reflex and appropriate other replay equipment - speakers are good too)
You will need a phono stage between the deck and the Solo - but you knew that.
Not on the "wheel of steel" but Martin Stephenson is at my place right now playing some rather fetching tunes, Ry Cooder was here earlier and Joni Mitchell will be along later. Wink
My but that Reflex just sings along with all of them.
opkectp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opkectp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 8:03pm
I use a 1200 and like it, although I am no TT expert and haven't heard that many different tables.  I'd also be interested in talking tweaks.  I'd like to do a re-wire but haven't taken the 1200 apart before.  I imagine it isn't too hard.

What would be a good 1st step (i.e. low cost) re-wire?  I guess I could make my own wires much cheaper.  Any ideas?

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 1:22am
I wouldn't.

In my honest opinion the biggest benefit would be to find a way of reducing the hum-field and one day I may have the time to do it. Then cartridges like the Music Maker Classic should sound stunning on it. I've tried one of these £1200 cartridges on my SL1210 and it's only the hum-field that I feel is the problem.

The arm cable in my opinion is just right having a total cartridge to plug capacitance of around 90pF. If swapping cables it is important to keep as near to 100pF as possible otherwise the (moving magnet) cartridge response will be compromised, and it can be very hard to find cable having the right capacitance. Here Technics have done that job for you.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 2:48am
IMO and in keeping with Grahams recommendation, the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to upgrade the wiring is to purchase the model 5G arm complete and wired and the model 5G wiring and phono plugs from Kabusa, this keeps it as Technics improved it for the model 5G and should not affect the capacitance.  The arm is wired with OFC copper rather than tinned copper and said to give improved HF response the external wiring is also improved as are the phono plugs.
I have not experienced the hum issues that Graham speaks of, but I am not using MM cartridges.  There is a strobe disabler mod available, whether this will affect the hum at all I have no idea.
Somewhere on the net I found a pictorial on re-wiring the arm on the 1200 if you are that way inclined but those 33 AWG wires are rather miniscule and slippery for aging eyesight and pretty hard to strip and solder.  The direct armtube swap leaves you with a spare arm to fiddle with in safety Smile

Edited by tg - 01 Jul 2008 at 2:52am
opkectp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opkectp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 5:53pm
Thanks for the warning!  I guess the first steps will be to get the cart and phono stage upgrades that you suggested in the other thread.  I'll take a look at the upgraded arm assembly for an idea down the road.

Sorry I forgot to mention my other equipment.  I'm using a Conrad-Johnson MV-55 tube amp and a passive pre that I made myself.  I wanted to do something DIY and that seemed basically unscrewupable.  Also, I use Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrods for speakers and have a Marantz SA8001 for my digital front end.  I spend a lot of time everyday in front of my audio gear, listening and also playing along some of the time.  I'm fond of the CD player but have so much vinyl that I would like to give that part of my system a kick in the pants.

Thanks again for your replies!
johnny diamond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 6:33pm
I use one, fantastic turntable...... I also have the ADC magnesium headshell and I can't see using this turntable without one..... I think it's only 1/2 gram differance compared to the technics headshell..... I sometimes wonder if these things are made intentionally????

anyways I have a denon DL-304 fitted..... and yeah sounds very good...... I chose the DL-304 because of compliance - doing the math, the resonance comes in at 9.6hz using the technics headshell.... (ADC = 9.4hz)

again are these thing made intentionally or have I just watched to much Xfiles????

both the ADC headshell and denon DL-304 seem to fit the SL-1210 almost to well any thoughts on this........

To be honest I am a bit skeptical of using the denon DL-103, I just can't see that it mates at all with the SL-1210's arm.... doing the math you need a 35 gram arm, to bring the resonance down to 10hz.....

does anybody have any experiance with the DL-103, with a SL-1210????

how important is compliance anyway????

Shure don't realise compliance figures, I had a M75ED type 2 and it sound good on whatever I put it on, although it sounded best on a sansui 222 MK4....
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 2:44pm

JD - Werner on tnt-audio did a review of the SL1200 and ran a DL103 on it.

On the strength of that I tried one on my 1200 with as much extra mass as the arm could balance.

My conclusion from extensive listening was that this cart does not work with this arm to any where near its potential, possibly it might fare better with the damping trough mod.

I do not know what types of music others tried but on large orchestral pieces I found it wanting, on simpler work it was fine.

The much higher compliance 301 was good as you have found with the 304.

By contrast, many claim it not to work on Rega arms, that has not been my experience on a Michell Tecnoarm (modified RB250), on that, with 5 grams of additional mass and GSP Reflex/Exp combination I was amazed at the performance.

That arm is not fitted to an SL1200.

So my conclusion, if you must run a DL103 on an SL1200, fit a Rega arm (or possibly a Roksan Nima) - but why bother when other carts are better without the hassle.

I am sure compliance is important in matching of arm effective mass to cartridge and while I might bodge around with adding mass to a stiff cartridge I do not think I would try a soft cartridge on anything other than a low mass arm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
  Share Topic