FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Superlux HD681 Evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by mitch65 mitch65 wrote:

I didn't have the remotest interest until about 6 months ago and that was only because the wife and kids were hogging the TV so I had no choice but to hide behind a pair of headphones LOL

It's a similar(ish) story here, only in my case it was me listening to music after the TV had been turned off and my son had gone off to bed.
I had a few "can you turn it down?" requests, so I decided to make better use of the Goldring DR150s I have.
Now I spend more time listening via headphones Wink
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:10pm
If it hadn't been for my developing an interest in headphones some 4 or 5 years ago, in order to enjoy music late in the evening without the risk of disturbing any neighbours, I might not have come across GSP Audio at all. In a review of the headphone I was planning to get, the Solo UL was named the perfect partner along with praise of the CuSat50 as the reviewers favourite interconnect. That sparked an interest and today I'm very happy for it and all that has followed since.

Hopefully I'll get my HD681s before long. It turns out the black model I ordered last week is now out of stock at Thomann, so I've made a request to change the order to the white one instead. I just hope the amended order goes through before they too sell out... Confused

Edited by suede - 16 Feb 2015 at 3:12pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:23pm
Finally got mine in the post today. First impression out of the box: Must locate the rebel base.
Serious though, the first impression of the sound was them being a bit murky and unrefined sounding straight out of the box, with a clear dip in the mids and a slightly jarring treble. But pretty soon they also exhibited quite an alert and fast-paced sound signature, reminding me a bit of Grado's in your face "funness"..

A few hours in they have settled down in the treble but developed a distinct boominess. But at least they seem to handle this emphasized bass pretty OK already. The bass is fairly responsive and defined at least, albeit excessive.

Bottom line, after only a couple of hours: Although they sound a bit unrefined and boomy now, I've got good hope they'll turn out to be some great headphones not only for their price. So big thanks for the tip on this Chris!
Johan
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 6:05pm
Today the lack of a midrange seems even more pronounced. It's very suppressed between the boom and the treble, like having an overdone loudness setting on. I hope this is just a passing phase...
Johan
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 8:57pm
Have faith and give 'em a good thrashing.
Mine have been playing a loop of Led Zeppelin since last night - they have largely settled by now, but still responding to the hours being put on them.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Today the lack of a midrange seems even more pronounced. It's very suppressed between the boom and the treble, like having an overdone loudness setting on. I hope this is just a passing phase...
I found the same, Johan. The mids did come back after another 24hrs solid playing ...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 1:10am
That's good to know. The burn-in process sure is proving to be a rollercoaster ride. I'm still baffled by the many people who refuse to acknowledge its existence, regardless of what product. After all you only need two ears to tell and it's not like it's subtle at all.
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic