FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker rewire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:09pm
Well said.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 6:59pm

I will post further listening impressions over the weekend, in the meantime here is the result of the Spatia rewire. The thicker wire is running to a super tweeter, all the others are stripped back to individual conductors. The 4 midrange drivers are wired in pairs. From the positive binding post into one driver positive terminal. Negative out to positive in the other driver and negative back from the second driver to the negative binding post. This maintains the correct impedance. The capacitor protects the ribbon tweeter. There are no crossovers, it is done digitally.

For anyone else considering a speaker rewire (ie Jon), I have a few comments. This may be obvious but I will list my experience nevertheless…. 

a. Please be very careful when stripping the outer sheath so you don’t cut through into the conductor insulation. This is if you decide to slit lengthways and pull the conductors out sideways

As a safer alternative but time consuming, use a blade to cut partway through the insulation at right angles to the length, round the circumference about 75mm from the end. Then slightly bend the cable to ‘break’ this ring away. It can be easily slid along and off the end. Repeat until all done. Slow but no stress to the cable and less risk of the blade nicking the inner insulation. 

b. Don’t pull the inner cable pair hard as you are removing them from the outer sheath - you may stretch and stress the conductors & the insulation.

For anyone else indenting to do this exercise, I would recommend asking/paying GSP to strip back the outer sheath so you purchase just the conductors. Good to give them a little more income too.

c. Follow John C’s example by putting small pieces of blue insulating tape at the signal end of each piece you cut. Once out of the sheath, you will not be able to identify directionality without doing this.

d. It’s best to use a proper cable stripping tool when terminating the ends prior to soldering.

e. The two conductors have an underlined, but very narrow number 1 and number 2 printed regularly along the length to aid channel identification. As they alternate reading from left-right-left-right etc, you cannot use this to determine directionality

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 7:12pm
Thank you for sharing this experience, Drewan - much appreciated.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 10:05pm
I intended to rewire my DIY loudspeakers with the Spatia cable and contacted John C to do this. A house move followed shortly afterwards and unfortunately there's a 100 and 1 things to do in my new home so the job is going to have to wait. Indeed, the crossovers are still sat on the carpet waiting for a new soldering job. Not very pretty but no WAF to consider or worry about...
Aren't ears brilliant
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 6:34am
The Spatia is a complete cable made to measure and terminated ready for use. It isn't supposed to be available in raw material stock.

However, noting the demand or desire for a "hook-up" wire having such qualities I have identified a single core cable (equipment wire) having the same properties, and even though I know it will deliver the same results, I will be auditioning it first.

Provided it sounds identical to the Spatia (how can it not do...?), we will offer it in 5m hanks at a reasonable price.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 8:00am
Excellent news. I imagine that this will safeguard the proprietry nature of the Spatia, but allow those of us who wish to maintain the Spatia sound quite literally from source to drivers.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:05pm

The Spatia re-wire has now been in place for almost a week and after further listening, I feel able to give a more objective review. Speakers are still fed by cables from another brand until in a couple of weeks this will also be replaced by Spatia. These only handle midrange & treble, so the re-wire has had no effect on bass performance (Lautus interconnects already on order for the subs):

Treble is now very smooth & sweet whereas before it sometimes had a rather hard bite. I run super-tweeters, previously crossing at 22khz where occasionally there was slight brittleness. I am now able to cross these lower, at 20khz and so far there has been no brittleness whatsoever. Maybe because silver plated speaker wiring has been removed from the signal path. Either way, it is like a very fine adjustment has been made to the top end equalization, benfitting not just FLAC and CD but also vinyl to a lesser extent.

The soundstage has opened up with instruments more clearly placed and 3 dimensional than before. This effect, even with a 2 channel system has been surprising on several recordings, Very fine details such as intakes of breath on closely mic’d vocals now sound very realistic.

As noted previously, vinyl background noise/dust has become indistinct and ‘out of phase’ with the musical signal, now floating free of the musical plane and harder to notice. This is nice.

Overall, a smoother and silkier performance, definitely more musical and natural which is as it should be.  To me the benefits of digital crossovers (very steep slopes, drivers only receiving specific frequencies, proper time and phase alignment, powerful transient response) outweighs the slightly clinical treble which can result on some recordings. Changing this cabling has hade a wholly positive effect.

Noting Graham's comments, I have found this upgrade very worthwhile and a single core version would be perfect for others considering a similar exercise.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic