FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker feet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
SiMears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiMears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:13pm
Hi
New to the forum but thought I would add my (limited) experience. My speakers came with the classic spikes but when IsoAccoustics released their Gaia feet to very positive reviews, I had to try for myself. When my local dealer sold their ex demos for a significant saving, I snapped them up. For me and my system they were a real improvement, particularily in the sound staging and imaging. As my floor is carpeted I used the dedicated 'cups' which have small spikes on them and are not big enough to damage the carpet.
Hope this is of some use
Simon
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:20pm
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendation I'd never seen them before, had a look but they're beyond my budget, but the principal is exactly what I want. If the feet work then it's save up time.
Oh and welcome you'll like it here friendly and helpful place 😁😁
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:56pm
Hi Simon and welcome.

Ash
 I was under the belief that spikes were for carpeted floors, As all the speaker stands I have had have come with them so it's interesting that you say they are for wooden floors, It's now making me think that I may have been going about it all wrong.
Bonzo you are not the only one to do this (slabs on the floor) I know a mate that does it and have read on other forums and in mag of others that also recommend it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
SiMears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiMears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I am by no means an expert (on anything audio!) but as I recall the Gaias seemed more for hard floors as they have a sort of rubber suction cup on the bottom. The additional cups with the spiked feet seemed more of an after thought for people with carpets. Seems to work well enough and as I mentioned, the results weren't subtle. IsoAccoustics website probably worth a look, as if I remember correctly, there is quite a lot of info on them and isolation in general.

Simon
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Sometimes things like spikes couple rather than decouple. Embedding the speaker enclosure into floorboards will transmit vibration and cause more resonances IMO. Spikes are intended to rest on top of high mass and high rigidity surfaces to provide minimum contact area for vibrations to pass through. I prefer to use low mass and sonically absorbent materials like foam and cardboard, and listen at a closer distance. Many speakers use the enclosure material resonance to raise the bass output but it causes more room reflections. I prefer to use inert material to create a continuation of the air seal of the driver but not add any sound colouration.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:57pm
I fitted Gaia III feet under my GX300 floorstanding speakers and recommend them highly. I have normal rather than deep pile carpets and the rubber feet seemed fine if that helps. You can adjust their heights or put spacers under some of the feet to level a speaker. Highly recommended by me, Simon, and lots of reviewers. I later fitted Iso-pucks under my stand mounted 22RH544's and they were very good too.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 26 Jan 2022 at 9:00pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
There's no reason you couldn't use spikes on piled carpet but I don't think it would provide any advantage and would hinder moving heavy speakers on-the-fly when trying to optimise the imaging and sound balance. I would prefer to avoid spikes myself so as to not damage the resting surface. I like little scraps/sheets of foam/carpet and you can vary the thickness depending on your need.

Spikes into wood is not a good idea IMO. I would only use them on stone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic