FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker feet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker feet
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 2:03pm
After recently taking some time to tinker with my system, clean all the cable contacts mains, interconnects and speakers which resulted in changing the banana plugs at speaker and amp from those made by a famous turntable manufacturing company, to a smaller type where the cable contacts are screw tightened and when plugged in you tighten a small handle which expands the contact and stops the plug from moving. Anyway improvement in sound chuffed with the result.
Where next was the thought which ended with the installation of a PSU 1, even more chuffed.
Lots of improvement for not a lot of cost mostly effort on my part, but this got me thinking about my speakers. They're on granite slabs (chopping boards), using the supplied spikes sitting in spike shoes. It's a carpeted room with suspended wooden floor, (Edwardian terrace). I've never really liked the granite but used them because this was the general advice on forums and the like, forget concrete slabs, screws through the carpet because the divorce would happen before they did.
My thoughts were could or would changing the spikes for adjustable furniture feet the type with round or triangular feet and do away with the granite slabs having the speakers stand onto the carpet affect the sound, has anyone tried this? 

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 2:45pm
I would acoustically isolate the speaker enclosure from a hard resting surface with foam or carpet. Spikes are for placing it on hard surfaces. I would put the box straight onto carpet to absorb as much vibration as possible.
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:52pm
Ash, thanks for your thoughts, having followed some of your experimental posts,(headphones and speaker mock ups), I'm going to take your advice and give the adjustable feet a go. I'm sure herself will be impressed if the slabs disappear, brownie points all round.

If I can work out how, I'll post before and after pictures of the speakers in situ.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:13pm
What is your rationale for resting the speaker enclosures on the slabs? For appearance only?

With speakers, I like the direct sound to be dominant, so what radiates from the cone surface is what hits the ear (as much as possible). So like a headphone but with real binaural positioning, not emulated with DSP. The original sound is altered by enclosure acoustics and room acoustics and I do like to experiment with keep-it-simple approaches.

I really like how some DIY full-range drivers have been developed in the last few years and would love to see larger size metal coned single-suspension drivers with magnets of higher magnetic flux density (I can daydream). I can only imagine how pure the low bass could be from such a driver on a cleverly designed nearfield open baffle. Big smile
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:06pm
The rationale, was purely that having a wooden floor the spikes go through the carpet and don't just rest on the floorboard but sink into them. Using the slabs was as close as I could get to simulating having a solid floor. I must admit that the thoughts on using something other than spikes has been with me for a long while, I started thinking about it when I changed from using spikes on the top plates of speaker stands and used a semi circular semi circular ball sold by one of the manufactures which improved the sound no end, with more body, depth and focus.
I've limited experience of full range drivers having only heard those demonstrated by one of the DIY kits (I believe someone documented building a set on this forum), but my first listening wasn't positive I'd gone to a show specifically to listen, but having said that, the following year I heard a definite improvement (modified or updated driver).
Sorry but me and metal drivers have not got on so I can't help on that one.
I've only ever built 2 sets of speakers both from the old DIY supplements from one of the magazine's on wada stand mount transmission line and funnily enough the other was an open baffle but it never sounded right to me (probably my rubbish construction), the stand mount was wonderfully rich and open. 
Sadly I read that the designer passed away last year I don't know why but a big loss to his family and hi-fi a real talent.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
I stopped using speaker spikes into my wooden floor as it would join in like a giant sound board. Like Ash I recommend isolation aka decoupling. It can be cheap materials or more sophisticated devices.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:10pm
Unfortunately despite my best efforts the floorboards are not level so I feel I need the feet to level the speakers, hopefully this will have the desired result, fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic