FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

soon to order Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
pompeyexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pompeyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:27pm
Thanks for the response guys.

Well tg you are correct about the way i've connected my Solo and I'm using Mr Slee's cusat50 (from your experience though do you think there is a better way?) and my cd player is the Musical Fidelity Nuvista 3CD, which in its day retailed for about three grand (I only paid half that) so I assume and hope the DAC inside would be a fairly good one. In which case what I can afford now in DAC terms (that's what comes of settling down with a good woman and a mortgage) probably wouldn't come close. Oh and mrarroyo I have transferred the music onto the i-pod as Apple Lossless so as you say a £160 to £250 DAC (V-DAC or Dacmagic or what's best within my budget at the time, but that's another argument for another day) would improve the sound from the i-pod dock.

Well you've both helped me make up my mind the i-pod through a DAC can wait, and an upgrade to the Solo it is.

If only other decisions in life were as easy.........Mmm, now do I have tomato sauce or mayo on me chips? (that's fries to you across the pond)

Thanks.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 3:30pm

Salt and vinegar and printers ink for chips (they used to wrap them in old newspaper in days gone by).

While your arrangement is best for convenience, I would at least try connecting the CDP direct to the Solo to see if it made an appreciable difference, but then I am happy to swap cables for best sound.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 10:44pm
I think mrarroyo and tg said it all, even changing the cable routing! My only addition is that all your sources go through the headphones and amp, so everything will sound better with a new Solo.

Jon

Edited by Fatmangolf - 17 Jul 2011 at 10:45pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mal4mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mal4mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 5:34pm
My Novo should be arriving tomorrow. Should I plug in my newish Senn HD280s + tuner and leave the set up running continuously for two weeks to get adequate burn in for both the Senns & the Novo? Is there an optimal volume level?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 8:59pm
Normal listening level if it doesn't prove to be an annoyance to other members of the household.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mal4mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mal4mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 12:10pm
What's the best way to tie the Novo into my hifi system? Do I attach it via Tape out on my NAD 3020 amp, and then press the 'Tape Monitor' button?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:51pm
Hi mal4mac, I've done it like that and it works well. I think the out to the tape (REC out) is probably connected all the time. So if you only connect the REC out to the Novo, there's no signal coming back from the Novo and the Tape Monitor button acts as a mute for the amp/speakers whilst you listen on headphones. Hope that helps.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic