FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo ULDE amp
    Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:31pm
I've sent a private message to Fatmangolf but I'd like to put some reasons here as to why I want to try out the highly-acclaimed Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition Headphone Amplifier (Solo ULDE).

I got the Voyager in 2009 and then the Bitzie + Lautus cable in 2013.  I've been extremely happy with the Bitzie which has been in continuous use, night and day, ever since.

I've been a Sennheiser headphone user for many years and a few years ago got the HD700 (I know it has a mixed press) and I kept the HD650 for plugging into a Yamaha Clavinova -- it's still a great phone in my ears.

The HD700 with the Bitzie is great for most of my purposes, giving a very clear and precise sound.  But recently I've noticed that with a lot of CD recordings of string music (as in quartet) there's quite a harshness in the higher-mid to high frequencies.  This doesn't occur at all with, for instance, recorded piano music.

Some of this might be me and my age-related high-frequency loss (not severe, but I have to use hearing aids to watch television and for example at meetings if someone across the room doesn't articulate clearly enough).  

I emailed Graham, who to my delight replied with a quite long and detailed explanation, and with particular reference to my query about the Solo.

Basically I had been advised by A.N.Other (whom I'd unwisely consulted) to get a tube (valve) amp and I did quite a bit of amateur research around the web before deciding that at my stage of the game I didn't want to have to muck around replacing burnt out valves, or trying whole sets of different valves — I just want to listen to the music (mostly classical and jazz).   And in addition, I was put off by some reports of the 'hum' (noise floor) that you can get with some tube amps.  (Plus the hours you might have to spend chasing up the cause and cure.)  If I were still a young man, then maybe ...

So I came back to where I should, on past experience, have gone first — here!

If I can borrow the Solo, I'm fairly sure I'll know in half a day whether it does for me what I'm hoping it will do.   I'll try it primarily of course with the HD700, but also give it a run on the HD650 (connected to the Bitzie DAC, with Lautus cable).

And the rest of the fortnight will confirm initial impressions.

All best
Brian
Milton Keynes, UK

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:48pm
Hi Brian - I'm sure the ULDE will do the business for you! Let us know how you get on . . . Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm
Sure will, many thanks Bob.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:38am
@Brian I have just replied to your PM and hope you'll like the sound of the Solo ULDE with your Sennheisers as much as I do mine.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 2:56pm
Thanks Jon, I've caught  up with it and done the necessary!  I've also asked if I need a special cable to connect it to the Bitzie (perhaps it's included in the trial package?)
all best
Brian
Voyager 2009, Bitzie+Lautus cable 2013, Sennheiser HD700 & 650, Yamaha Clavinova
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:13am
Have replied in PM and on your other thread.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 11:39pm
Thanks to (Graham and) John C, I have a Solo ULDE on loan.

I wasn't sure whether to begin a new thread for my query, but seeing an appropriately-named albeit old topic is already here I hope Brian and others won't regard this a hijack!

Everything is sounding just fine, very fine in fact, but I'd like confirmation on the volume control settings.  Notes accompanying the unit explain that for low-impedance 'phones, to expect the control to be in the 5-to-1 o'clock range, depending on input level, and 11-to-5 o'clock for high-impedance 'phones.  With both my Sennheiser HD600 (300 Ohms) and Final E5000 IEMs (14 Ohms) I'm getting plenty of volume at around the 9 o'clock position.  Is this anything to be concerned about?  My source output level (from the manual) is 2.1V.
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic