FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I once connected Solo ULDE to the Bitzie via Lautus 1.5m cables back when I was comparing old Sennheiser headphones. The sound didn't get better or worse with the headphones I used. It is dependent on the specifics of the headphone used. I would choose the Bitzie unless using vinyl.
Sure, thanks once again. I will keep Bitzie in the evaluation, most of my music is digital than analog. I do not intend to drive too many power hungry headphones anyway. I am just starting and will stick to fairly easy dynamic drivers or planers headphones below 300 ohm (not sure if bitzie can run 300 ohm HPs well, though)

Edited by aakashk - 09 Oct 2020 at 10:00am
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 5:58pm

I once connected Solo ULDE to the Bitzie via Lautus 1.5m cables back when I was comparing old Sennheiser headphones. The sound didn't get better or worse with the headphones I used. It is dependent on the specifics of the headphone used. I would choose the Bitzie unless using vinyl.
Hi Ash - You actually got me curious about the Bitzie and I did a bit of reading about it. I can imagine it will work wonders when connected to an external amp like the ULDE. 
However I couldn't find how powerful Bitzie Amp section is as a standalone device? Would you know what's the Headphone impedance range that bitzie can support? Will it drive maybe a 300 ohm HD 650 to glory? Thanks again
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
All the Sennheisers I used with the Bitzie were 300 Ohm impedance, HD600 included. I did also try a 600 Ohm HD540 mk1 too. All were driven to loud levels effortlessly. The entire travel of the potentiometer is usable to cater for at least 16-600 Ohm loads. The power available is limited by USB specs; 5V 100mA? The available power is used to maximum effect though and I did not feel any of the headphones were being held back.

Will drive HD650 fine but HD650 is not good enough for the Bitzie.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:42am
I went for the Solo ULDE over Bitzie simply because I wanted DAC and amp to remain separate. I’m a bit of a DAC switcher, as my experience has been that DAC technology evolves very quickly compared to amplification. I fully expect the Solo out outlive three or four DAC units. It’s superb sounding and totally reliable, and I’m confident it will drive any headphones I purchase in the future, and offer whatever DAC I might own excellent amplification. 
I should add that the Solo does most of its duty out of my laptop at my desk, but does make the trek to my vinyl system on occasion. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:51am

All the Sennheisers I used with the Bitzie were 300 Ohm impedance, HD600 included. I did also try a 600 Ohm HD540 mk1 too. All were driven to loud levels effortlessly. The entire travel of the potentiometer is usable to cater for at least 16-600 Ohm loads. The power available is limited by USB specs; 5V 100mA? The available power is used to maximum effect though and I did not feel any of the headphones were being held back.

Will drive HD650 fine but HD650 is not good enough for the Bitzie.
Thanks, Ash! That explains and your footnote sums it up well. Great help! 
Cheers! 
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

I went for the Solo ULDE over Bitzie simply because I wanted DAC and amp to remain separate. I’m a bit of a DAC switcher, as my experience has been that DAC technology evolves very quickly compared to amplification. I fully expect the Solo out outlive three or four DAC units. It’s superb sounding and totally reliable, and I’m confident it will drive any headphones I purchase in the future, and offer whatever DAC I might own excellent amplification. 
I should add that the Solo does most of its duty out of my laptop at my desk, but does make the trek to my vinyl system on occasion. 
Mick.
Hey Mick. Thanks! That makes a lot of sense indeed. I do believe it’s a good idea to separate DAC & AMP so one can also try different pairings and upgrade part of the chain as and when needed. Also in my opinion, DAC also somehow influences the sound signature more in the chain while the AMP does its duties; and one can use different DACs depending on the source and the Headphone/Earphone. I’m inclined more towards the SRGii as the ULDE is twice the cost here which is currently off my budget. I’m sure the SRGii will run fine off a decent inexpensive DAC. 
Thanks again for sharing your inputs. 
Aakash
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:51am
My recommendation of the Bitzie is not because it will be the last DAC/amp you'll ever buy. It is because of what you get for £350-450; a hell of an introduction to high fidelity. Spend another £50 on a K240 Studio headphone and you have a great compact setup for £500. Great DAC and headamp with high quality cable and resolving headphone. Leave the system powered on for long periods and run the headphone in and I'm confident a wide smile will emerge soon enough.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic