Print Page | Close Window

Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Headphone Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Headphone Amps
Forum Description: Questions, answers and product information zone for Graham Slee Headphone Amplifiers
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5053
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance
Posted By: aakashk
Subject: Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
Hello!
I am about 3 years old in High-Fi Audio. For a long time I have been using portable gears for my music listening however I am now looking to learn & experience more by trying full size headphones alongwith desktop gear.
I am considering the Solo SRGii as my first desktop AMP purchase (since it fits my budget). I use a Focal Clear headphone and wondering if that's a good pairing. If anyone has used the combination, please suggest me. I am also curious to know what are some of the other Headphones that pair well with the SRGii.
My sound signature preference is mostly neutral with some warmth and sub bass rumble. I do prefer wide airy soundstage and musicality however I cannot tolerate a treble too hot. I do not intend to change or upgrade the amp for few years therefore looking for something versatile enough that can be paired well with a variety of headphones
Unfortunately I do not have a way to audition the amp therefore suggestions from fellow members will be of great value to me.
Thanks a lot!

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:21pm
Welcome Aakash
Well 1st off The Solo SRG ll  is a good headphone amp it is the one I use and it is a Versatile amp for a lot of different headphones so can be used with variety of headphones, Close back or Open. You wont have a problem there. 2nd As for a upgrade you can add the PSU1 power supply when you got the funds.
I am sorry I do not have any suggestions for headphones but someone on this forum I am sure will have. 

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
Hi and welcome!
   I’ve used the Fical Elear and Utopia with the Solo ULDE and the results are fantastic. Definitely no treble hotness.
I hope that helps,
Mick

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 10:57pm
my brain some times does not work so I have just remembered that someone on this forum said Grado headphones work well with GS headphone amps. I use sen HD600s no treble hotness with them too I find anyway.
Jonathan

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Welcome Aakash
Well 1st off The Solo SRG ll  is a good headphone amp it is the one I use and it is a Versatile amp for a lot of different headphones so can be used with variety of headphones, Close back or Open. You wont have a problem there. 2nd As for a upgrade you can add the PSU1 power supply when you got the funds.
I am sorry I do not have any suggestions for headphones but someone on this forum I am sure will have. 
Thank you so much for sharing that. 

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Hi and welcome!
   I’ve used the Fical Elear and Utopia with the Solo ULDE and the results are fantastic. Definitely no treble hotness.
I hope that helps,
Mick
Thanks Mick. That's great to know. Would you also be able to comment if it improves the soundstage (width or height) on Focals? Is this a suitable pairing for more energetic genres of Music like Pop/EDM? I am assuming the inherent tonality of SRGii & ULDE would be similar except the latter being more powerful. Thanks again

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:29pm
I’ve listened to pop, jazz, chamber music, house, classical...it all sounds great to me. Focal doesn’t do the wide soundstage that other brands do, but I think with the Solo they do coherence and pinpoint placement. I think they’ve helped me get the best from my Focal headphones. Try the Solo via the loan scheme and see if it’s what you’re after. A stonking good amp, and excellent value for money.
Cheers,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:31pm
The Solo helped me rediscover music I’d not listened to in a long time. Massive Attack, Radiohead, Kraftwerk, Zappa...all of it gripping. I’ve lost hours to it.
Mick.

-------------

Posted By: capetownwatches
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:44pm
Hi Aakash,

You don't mention what your source is, but the Solo will make the most of any high quality DAC.
I've paired my UL with more than a few and beware, it will show up a poor source.

Drives every headphone I've thrown at it from 25 Ohm Fostex to 600 Ohm Beyers beautifully, including planars.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with a Solo - very highly recommended!

-------------
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:21am

I’ve listened to pop, jazz, chamber music, house, classical...it all sounds great to me. Focal doesn’t do the wide soundstage that other brands do, but I think with the Solo they do coherence and pinpoint placement. I think they’ve helped me get the best from my Focal headphones. Try the Solo via the loan scheme and see if it’s what you’re after. A stonking good amp, and excellent value for money.
Cheers,
Mick.

Thanks Mick. Thats indeed helpful information. Unfortunately I do not have loan scheme available in my country, but I will try to figure something out. Thanks once again
Best,
Aakash

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:27am
Originally posted by capetownwatches capetownwatches wrote:

Hi Aakash,

You don't mention what your source is, but the Solo will make the most of any high quality DAC.
I've paired my UL with more than a few and beware, it will show up a poor source.

Drives every headphone I've thrown at it from 25 Ohm Fostex to 600 Ohm Beyers beautifully, including planars.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with a Solo - very highly recommended!
Hi Arie,
Looks like I did miss out mentioning my source, however my source is only a portable player currently. I have the Sony Walkman WM1A that I use with my IEMs and with the Focal Clear using the 4.4 Balanced out. Sometimes when I play music on my desktop computer, I use the Sony USB DAC. I am just starting to invest into full size gear to learn more about them and I thought it may be a good idea to start with an AMP. I may purchase a desktop DAC later or will use a smaller DAC that's good quality. That's the plan for now :)
Thank You, for sharing your experience.
Cheers!

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:23am
The Bitzie USB DAC is fantastic for those starting to get serious with high fidelity sound. I would buy it with the Lautus Powerwire so you can extract higher performance. Twin analogue outputs for comparing headphones directly against each other; VERY important feature. It can be used to give another DAC an additional USB input. It is a very capable DAC and headphone amp. I tried Bitzie and Lautus USB cable directly with my MySphere 3.1 (costs 10 times more than the Bitzie) and the sound was superb, even without leaving it on all the time.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

The Bitzie USB DAC is fantastic for those starting to get serious with high fidelity sound. I would buy it with the Lautus Powerwire so you can extract higher performance. Twin analogue outputs for comparing headphones directly against each other; VERY important feature. It can be used to give another DAC an additional USB input.

Hi Ash
I did consider this since the Graham Slee dealer in my country suggested me to look at both Bitzie & Solo SRGii. Thing is, the local price for both of them is similar hence I drifted towards the Solo which I assume would be more powerful option and versatile enough for other Headphones that I may get in future. By any chance will you be able to share any comparison between Bitzie and Solo SRGii ?
Many thanks for your comment 

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
I once connected Solo ULDE to the Bitzie via Lautus 1.5m cables back when I was comparing old Sennheiser headphones. The sound didn't get better or worse with the headphones I used. It is dependent on the specifics of the headphone used. I would choose the Bitzie unless using vinyl.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:59am

I once connected Solo ULDE to the Bitzie via Lautus 1.5m cables back when I was comparing old Sennheiser headphones. The sound didn't get better or worse with the headphones I used. It is dependent on the specifics of the headphone used. I would choose the Bitzie unless using vinyl.
Sure, thanks once again. I will keep Bitzie in the evaluation, most of my music is digital than analog. I do not intend to drive too many power hungry headphones anyway. I am just starting and will stick to fairly easy dynamic drivers or planers headphones below 300 ohm (not sure if bitzie can run 300 ohm HPs well, though)

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 5:58pm

Hi Ash - You actually got me curious about the Bitzie and I did a bit of reading about it. I can imagine it will work wonders when connected to an external amp like the ULDE. 
However I couldn't find how powerful Bitzie Amp section is as a standalone device? Would you know what's the Headphone impedance range that bitzie can support? Will it drive maybe a 300 ohm HD 650 to glory? Thanks again

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
All the Sennheisers I used with the Bitzie were 300 Ohm impedance, HD600 included. I did also try a 600 Ohm HD540 mk1 too. All were driven to loud levels effortlessly. The entire travel of the potentiometer is usable to cater for at least 16-600 Ohm loads. The power available is limited by USB specs; 5V 100mA? The available power is used to maximum effect though and I did not feel any of the headphones were being held back.

Will drive HD650 fine but HD650 is not good enough for the Bitzie.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:42am
I went for the Solo ULDE over Bitzie simply because I wanted DAC and amp to remain separate. I’m a bit of a DAC switcher, as my experience has been that DAC technology evolves very quickly compared to amplification. I fully expect the Solo out outlive three or four DAC units. It’s superb sounding and totally reliable, and I’m confident it will drive any headphones I purchase in the future, and offer whatever DAC I might own excellent amplification. 
I should add that the Solo does most of its duty out of my laptop at my desk, but does make the trek to my vinyl system on occasion. 
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:51am

All the Sennheisers I used with the Bitzie were 300 Ohm impedance, HD600 included. I did also try a 600 Ohm HD540 mk1 too. All were driven to loud levels effortlessly. The entire travel of the potentiometer is usable to cater for at least 16-600 Ohm loads. The power available is limited by USB specs; 5V 100mA? The available power is used to maximum effect though and I did not feel any of the headphones were being held back.

Will drive HD650 fine but HD650 is not good enough for the Bitzie.
Thanks, Ash! That explains and your footnote sums it up well. Great help! 
Cheers! 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:00am

I went for the Solo ULDE over Bitzie simply because I wanted DAC and amp to remain separate. I’m a bit of a DAC switcher, as my experience has been that DAC technology evolves very quickly compared to amplification. I fully expect the Solo out outlive three or four DAC units. It’s superb sounding and totally reliable, and I’m confident it will drive any headphones I purchase in the future, and offer whatever DAC I might own excellent amplification. 
I should add that the Solo does most of its duty out of my laptop at my desk, but does make the trek to my vinyl system on occasion. 
Mick.
Hey Mick. Thanks! That makes a lot of sense indeed. I do believe it’s a good idea to separate DAC & AMP so one can also try different pairings and upgrade part of the chain as and when needed. Also in my opinion, DAC also somehow influences the sound signature more in the chain while the AMP does its duties; and one can use different DACs depending on the source and the Headphone/Earphone. I’m inclined more towards the SRGii as the ULDE is twice the cost here which is currently off my budget. I’m sure the SRGii will run fine off a decent inexpensive DAC. 
Thanks again for sharing your inputs. 
Aakash

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:51am
My recommendation of the Bitzie is not because it will be the last DAC/amp you'll ever buy. It is because of what you get for £350-450; a hell of an introduction to high fidelity. Spend another £50 on a K240 Studio headphone and you have a great compact setup for £500. Great DAC and headamp with high quality cable and resolving headphone. Leave the system powered on for long periods and run the headphone in and I'm confident a wide smile will emerge soon enough.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:44am
Ash is right I know someone with the Bitzie and she travels a lot with her job and that's what she got it for, the compact setup so when on her travels she only has 3 box's to take as it were. But it does not sound like that's what you are going to use it for. But has he said you get a hell of a introduction to high fidelity sound. I don't know much about DACs so I can't comment on that issue I listen to mainly Vinyl and CDs ,That said mainly Vinyl these days At home ( but for the car I also have a portable player ) and my CDs and they are good enough for that as I mainly do short distances. 
Jonathan

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:57pm

My recommendation of the Bitzie is not because it will be the last DAC/amp you'll ever buy. It is because of what you get for £350-450; a hell of an introduction to high fidelity. Spend another £50 on a K240 Studio headphone and you have a great compact setup for £500. Great DAC and headamp with high quality cable and resolving headphone. Leave the system powered on for long periods and run the headphone in and I'm confident a wide smile will emerge soon enough.
Totally understand you and it's a very meaningful recommendation indeed. However at this point, I am looking for a powerful amplifier more than a DAC hence the SRGii attracts me. I should be able to get it for about £370 or slightly less (Of course, not with the PSU1). For my travels (future tense, given the times of Covid we are living in) my Sony WM1A serves me well :)
But I sincerely appreciate all your inputs so far, you have been extremely helpful. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Ash is right I know someone with the Bitzie and she travels a lot with her job and that's what she got it for, the compact setup so when on her travels she only has 3 box's to take as it were. But it does not sound like that's what you are going to use it for. But has he said you get a hell of a introduction to high fidelity sound. I don't know much about DACs so I can't comment on that issue I listen to mainly Vinyl and CDs ,That said mainly Vinyl these days At home ( but for the car I also have a portable player ) and my CDs and they are good enough for that as I mainly do short distances. 
Jonathan
Hey Jonathan. Yes, travel is not my use-case right now, otherwise Bitzie is an easy choice. It's mostly for desk usage at home that I am looking for a powerful and versatile AMP so I can go about trying different headphones. SRGii fits the budget and seems like an appropriate option to go for. Maybe it will be a good idea to add the PSU1 later, I understand it brings significant improvements. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm
Yes, product choice should reflect the needs of the user so go for a Solo if it helps you to achieve your objectives. The Solo in any form is very capable and offers you an upgrade path. You can use it with both vinyl and digital as well.

For power reference, Solo can drive AKG K1000 to loud levels if the drivers are fairly close to the ears. Impedance is 120 Ohms and sensitivity is 74dB/mW. Considering this, planar magnetics should be fair game too.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:03pm
So I finally got myself the Solo SRGii and am very excited already. It makes my Focal Clear sing even better than before. 
Just out of curiosity I also plugged an AKG K240 Sextett into it which is a 600 ohm beast, and the AMP drove it without any distortion between 2-3 o'clock on the volume pot. I am letting the AMP Burn in and will see how it behaves over next few days/weeks. 

Is there a recommended burn in period for the SRGii?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:49pm
Fantastic! Congrats on the improvement to your listening pleasure. A lot of the improvement comes in the first three days of being plugged in and left on. It keeps getting better for a few weeks is my experience.
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:29am
Yes give it a few weeks and I found it improved a lot but I also had new headphones so same of that may have been down to them as well. but my experience with the Reflex M saw improvements over few weeks too so I'll say it was the same for the headphone amp as well.
Jonathan

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net