FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono buying advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aurimas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phono buying advice
    Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 2:01pm
Hi all,

I'm a new member though I've been around for a couple of weeks or so
now going through the forum.

My current setup consists of the 2016 Rega Planar 2 with Rega Exact cartridge, Rega Fono Mini A2D preamp, Hegel H80 amp and Dali Rubicon 2 speakers.

The phono preamp is the next thing I am looking to upgrade as I think my system would benefit most with a better phono stage.

Now I am not entirely sure which would be the model I should go for so hopping you will
kindly share your experience and suggestions and make it very easy for me :)
Price is not that important but I would not want something that is a huge overkill for my setup.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aurimas
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:56pm
Welcome, Aurimus.
     I’m sure you’ll get lots of helpful advice, including trying out the loan program. As for overkill, you’ve got a terrific turntable and a fantastic amp, so perhaps we could have some information on what you’d consider overkill? I suppose that a price point or a performance point?
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
aurimas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:41pm
Thanks Mick.

While I am happy with my TT I appreciate there are higher quality ones and so I thought that's what those higher end Phono preamps like Reflex M are for. I just assume they would not make a difference in my system. My definition of overkill would be something like: 'a preamp that would get bottlenecked by the rest of my system'. I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

As for a loan, that indeed sounds fantastic but I had already tried contacting Jon a couple of weeks or so back but haven't heard from him yet. Perhaps he is busy. I just accepted loan option is off the table and therefore, I would go with recommendations.

Thanks,
Aurimas
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:11am
Just back. Reply sent to your PM regarding EGV loan.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:03am
Hiya

The Era Gold V is a stunning phono stage. It's raved about by no less than Micheal Fremer of Stereophile and Analog Planet Fame - he's the doyen of championing vinyl playback. I use a Revelation M which at heart is the Era Gold V. I had the same thoughts as you when I had a L*nn Axis front end. Not sure if it would expose the lesser front end and electronics. I can tell you my old Axis never sounded better and came close to the LP12. It sounded sublime.

And that is the key. It made the Axis perform better, not show up any weaknesses. It wasn't overkill at all...just showed how good that deck is. Since then, it has been paired with an L*nn LP12 and a VPI, where the performance was raised to another level. It now lives with my newly bought Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace with Space Arm- and performance is raised by miles yet again.

The moral of the story? The Era V will maximise whatever front end and electronics you use with it no matter the price range. As you keep improving your gear, you will need to keep improving the phono stage over and over. That's not really true value. I learnt the hard way, making too many sideways upgrade moves. Perhaps spend a little more now to save a lorra dosh later. It's forward thinking ( if you are able to, of course).

But that's just me, innit. A home loan will sort you out! It is your best friend.

Regards

Dil

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
aurimas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:38pm
Hi Dil,

Yes - I really enjoyed having EGV on loan. In fact so much that straight after I ordered Reflex M and Spatia cables, and Cusat interconnects.

I went for Reflex since the difference in price is not that great. So far its been great! Very happy.

Now I'm being curious about Majestic DAC. I think I will need to drop Jon a line to see if its available for loan. Oh dear..

Regards,
Aurimas
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by aurimas aurimas wrote:

Hi Dil,

Yes - I really enjoyed having EGV on loan. In fact so much that straight after I ordered Reflex M and Spatia cables, and Cusat interconnects.

I went for Reflex since the difference in price is not that great. So far its been great! Very happy.

Now I'm being curious about Majestic DAC. I think I will need to drop Jon a line to see if its available for loan. Oh dear..

Regards,
Aurimas

I went straight in with the Reflex M and love it, but i’m now curious about the Accession. Majestic DAC and pair of Proprii followed. Very happy!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic