FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Personal preferences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal preferences
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:28pm
After powering off my system for two weeks the only contact with music has been the ‘low fi ‘ earphones from BA, the variety of reggae related music on the island (incl. the yellow reggae buses) and some HFN 2018 holiday reading to accompany my novels!

Whilst this has been illuminating as to some hi end kit which is now available the Turntable section was interesting.

Whilst the summary reviews included a lower price Rega it also included a number in the £3-10k range and the technics sL-1000R which was highly praised.

Out of curiosity I asked the three others in our villa which they would rather have in their house (visually) and none preferred the skeletal variety which I have a leaning to but a modern ‘box’ design.

Whilst not wishing to offend the heavy technics following the SL1000R I do not find very appealing to look at (nor the SL1200 range) and wonder if the designer could have been more inspired or am I out on a limb here?  They are functional but are they attractive however good all of the decks are?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
I see your point and think visual appeal can affect the listening experience. I liked the look of the Gyrodek but also the big black cake of the Gorbe also appeals (and I think it sounds better). That said I like the visual simplicity of the Rega decks and the tech look of my SL1210/II.

However it is clear from the media that the 'black box with plastic lid' is here to stay!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
Like you Richard, we are away from home & the main system (but as always, my well travelled little Bitzie is working overtime). 

I've decided that as so much of our retirement is spent in California (the fires got pretty close this time!), we should have a half decent system in the house here.

It's fun auditioning various turntables but I must admit nothing so far appeals sonically as much as the SL1200G I have back in the UK - even though I still think it's DJ-brutal ugly. At the moment I am leaning towards the slightly cheaper, black finish 1210GR, paired with my existing Reflex-M.

In terms of aesthetics, I also like the look of those skeletal plinth Regas, especially my own orange hybrid version.... but then I would say that wouldn't I!
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:08pm
well I have just checked my lottery numbers and YES I have won !!!!!

Sadly I don't think the £30 will go too far towards the SL1000R so will have to let that one go for now although could go for the motor and have a more pleasing plinth I suppose 🤣
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:12pm
Of course your winnings could be wisely invested in the key ingredient, more good records!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:31pm
£30 won't get you much vinyl unless you go to car boot sales. The high cost of vinyl has really put me off trying it seriously and investing in phono stages and cartridges. It's like a bottomless pit of expense when you add up all the purchases. Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:44pm
should get me a couple 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic