Forum Description: Ask Ash
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4616
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Personal preferences
Posted By: Richardl60
Subject: Personal preferences
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:28pm
After powering off my system for two weeks the only contact with music has been the ‘low fi ‘ earphones from BA, the variety of reggae related music on the island (incl. the yellow reggae buses) and some HFN 2018 holiday reading to accompany my novels!

Whilst this has been illuminating as to some hi end kit which is now available the Turntable section was interesting.

Whilst the summary reviews included a lower price Rega it also included a number in the £3-10k range and the technics sL-1000R which was highly praised.

Out of curiosity I asked the three others in our villa which they would rather have in their house (visually) and none preferred the skeletal variety which I have a leaning to but a modern ‘box’ design.

Whilst not wishing to offend the heavy technics following the SL1000R I do not find very appealing to look at (nor the SL1200 range) and wonder if the designer could have been more inspired or am I out on a limb here?  They are functional but are they attractive however good all of the decks are?

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
I see your point and think visual appeal can affect the listening experience. I liked the look of the Gyrodek but also the big black cake of the Gorbe also appeals (and I think it sounds better). That said I like the visual simplicity of the Rega decks and the tech look of my SL1210/II.

However it is clear from the media that the 'black box with plastic lid' is here to stay!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
Like you Richard, we are away from home & the main system (but as always, my well travelled little Bitzie is working overtime). 

I've decided that as so much of our retirement is spent in California (the fires got pretty close this time!), we should have a half decent system in the house here.

It's fun auditioning various turntables but I must admit nothing so far appeals sonically as much as the SL1200G I have back in the UK - even though I still think it's DJ-brutal ugly. At the moment I am leaning towards the slightly cheaper, black finish 1210GR, paired with my existing Reflex-M.

In terms of aesthetics, I also like the look of those skeletal plinth Regas, especially my own orange hybrid version.... but then I would say that wouldn't I!

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:08pm
well I have just checked my lottery numbers and YES I have won !!!!!

Sadly I don't think the £30 will go too far towards the SL1000R so will have to let that one go for now although could go for the motor and have a more pleasing plinth I suppose 🤣

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:12pm
Of course your winnings could be wisely invested in the key ingredient, more good records!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:31pm
£30 won't get you much vinyl unless you go to car boot sales. The high cost of vinyl has really put me off trying it seriously and investing in phono stages and cartridges. It's like a bottomless pit of expense when you add up all the purchases. Confused

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:44pm
should get me a couple 

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:52pm
£3.99 is what one of my mid 70s LPs cost. Nearly 7% of my weekly pay.

Prices do double every 10 years in real terms (try comparing food prices!) and so counting on... 80s, 90s, 00s, and now, so £3.99 became £8, then £16, then £32, and now £64!

But by subsidising imports from you know where - by going back on Wilberforce and encouraging slave labour (NIMBY style!) - UK PLC managed wage deflation almost to the point of almost making the country's mid-earners pay 40% tax! (and we all know who wanted to keep it like that!)

So that's why £30 sounds expensive for a vinyl LP! Long live vinyl! Boo to UK PLC managers (the idiots at Westminster).

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:14pm
Although I did recently buy a limited edition 4LP boxset for the video game Okami for £75 even though I have nothing to play it on. Bought it for the artwork and have been enjoying the FLAC download supplied with enclosed code.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
Graham's point about inflation is well made. I would venture than the shrinkage in confectionery items was paralled with cheaper and recycled materials in mass produced records.

I still buy new records but usually remasters like the Kate Bush LP's that came out this month. The vast majority of my LP purchasing is from charity shops rather than car boot sales but Ash's earlier point is a good one. Aside from the record handling in place of pressing a play button, the record sleeves and reading material are a lot easier to read than those in CD's. In fact I just rip my CD's nowadays but still have a CD player that is connected to the Majestic's DAC.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Old skool
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
I like to buy a lot of second hand records but local sources are disappearing.  There used to be 5 or 6 independent record shops in Tunbridge Wells.  
Now only 1 survives & that is due to close any day. 

Shame as I only like to play vinyl at home. 

You’d think there’d be a ready market for second hand vinyl. 

-------------
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:44pm
Here in the U.S., the second hand vinyl market appears to be doing well but the trend at shops I have noticed over the last few years is the prices going up and the condition of the vinyl going down. This is especially true w/r/t any popular record like common/popular classic rock titles and so on. 

There are limits to what I will pay for any LP and condition is paramount for me. I get around this by going against what is trendy. I've focused more on less popular bands and artists, or under-appreciated records from well-known artists. 

For example, 50s and 60s hard bop is really hot right now here, especially certain artists and labels. Early pressings of the most desirable records have reached insane pricing levels and the less desirable pressings are inflated as a result, not to mention the ever present condition issues. So what do I do? I focus on 70s jazz, especially less appreciated artists and titles. To me this stuff highly undervalued outside of a handful of artists and labels. Same thing with select titles from the 80s - everyone assumes there was only Kenny G style smooth jazz in the 80s so hardly anyone is buying it. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net