FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New music on order

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
schumanesq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schumanesq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm
Another recent arrival was "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall".  This is one of my wife's favorites and I did have a copy way back when.  The copy I just purchased is a 180g Analogue Productions copy - very highly rated as far as vinyl quietness and quality of pressing.  Can't wait to hear this again.  It is highly regarded as probably the best sounding live performance LP ever, with the ambiance of the hall and Harry's performance being top notch.
Steve Schuman
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by schumanesq schumanesq wrote:

The other is a mid-50's classic, "In the Wee Small Hours" - again, a great album (even on CD) that I think captures Sinatra at his best.  He hadn't yet gotten into the swinging early 60's Sinatra style, and his voice seems to me to be at a midpoint of sorts - still sounding quite a bit like the 40's Sinatra but with more mature phrasing and a deeper baritone.

This is an album I think almost anyone could appreciate if they gave it a chance. The album does have a bit of weird history as you may know, with various mixes being released over the years. The one to get is the "dry" version in mono without the reverb that was added a few years later. I couldn't believe how much different it sounded when I finally got my hands on it.

Unfortunately, IIRC I'm not sure the last LP reissue that used the correct mixes from a few years ago is still in print. There's not any in print CD of it either AFAIK, but it was available as a lossless download for a time.

Here's a fan site with tons of detail about it:

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
schumanesq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schumanesq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:15pm
Hey, thanks for the link to that article.  I tryly had no idea of the history on this album.  The version that I have (but have not listened to as yet) is the 2014 LP from Europe, mastered by Ron McMaster.  According to the article, that one used the dry tapes for all 16 tracks, so I am expecting good things!
Steve Schuman
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by schumanesq schumanesq wrote:

Hey, thanks for the link to that article.  I tryly had no idea of the history on this album.  The version that I have (but have not listened to as yet) is the 2014 LP from Europe, mastered by Ron McMaster.  According to the article, that one used the dry tapes for all 16 tracks, so I am expecting good things!

Yep, that's the one I have, and the matching FLAC download. Occasionally I will look in the used bins for the '55 mono LP or the 10''s but I've never seen one in a condition worth buying. Most copies I've seen in the used bins are actually re-releases from the 60s or 70s that use the wrong tapes or have horrible fake stereo processing.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:08pm
I have had to scratch one album off the list of new music I wont (Gabriella Cohen) as it looks like it's not being released on vinyl or CD, there seems to be a lot of reasons for this floating about on the internet but nothing coming from the label. I don't buy new music as a digital download I prefer to have a hard copy preferably on vinyl. This is disappointing as I have heard it on the labels website and it sounds really good. I just hope if it's only going to be as a download that it's not going to be a growing trend.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:57pm
Hard copies are nice and you can read the sleeve notes on an LP. I must admit I'm doing that with Roon now and I think streaming has taken over from buying downloads.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have had to scratch one album off the list of new music I wont (Gabriella Cohen) as it looks like it's not being released on vinyl or CD, there seems to be a lot of reasons for this floating about on the internet but nothing coming from the label. I don't buy new music as a digital download I prefer to have a hard copy preferably on vinyl. This is disappointing as I have heard it on the labels website and it sounds really good. I just hope if it's only going to be as a download that it's not going to be a growing trend.

Unless I'm missing something, there are vinyl copies available here:

I definitely feel more comfortable with a physical copy over a download, but I gave into lossless downloads a few years back. Tried streaming many times but eventually gave up on it a few years ago as I wasn't using it enough and ended up spending too much time checking out music that I was curious about but didn't really enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic