Forum Description: Because it's #AllAboutTheMusic
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5306
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New music on order
Posted By: lfc jon
Subject: New music on order
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm
As I sold my old M phone I thought I'd buy some new music with the money, So yesterday I put an order if for Blondie - Vivir En La Habana, on vinyl and Blondie - At the BBC, on CD. Both are live recordings. I am building up my live recordings of Blondie as I have now got all their a studio albums on CD and Vinyl. This is my small project for the moment next up is Pink floyd.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Replies:
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:00pm
A nice surprise with the Blondie, At The BBC CD it came with a DVD, A pity it was not Blu-Ray. At the price I can't complain too much it's like getting the DVD for nothing. It's a pity the record Vivir En La Habana didn't come with a download and why do record companies still persist in putting vinyl in crap record scratching paper sleeves?

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 6:21pm
Vivir En La Habana album, What a difference in style all the hits are in. I think for a Blondie fan a must have and a vary good recording IMO

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 4:27pm
Not sure this is the place but anyway.
Last night my mate told me is brother is coming down for Christmas with he vinyl collection for us to pick what we wont for a pound each. He is moving onto a canal boat with his wife and he has recorded most of what he wonts to hard drive and the records have to go for space reasons. With over 1000 records there is bound to be something I wont. My mate said his brother said make sure you tell your mate Jon.
IT'S GOOD to have good mates. This will be the 2nd time this has happened I think I'm must be lucky. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 6:41pm
Did a favour for my mate as his A--on account has been shut down temporarily and ordered some music for him. I then put an order for some outer sleeves off Juno Records, For once my internet price checker gave the best price (Juno Record) so I thought I'd look to see if they had what my mate wanted well they did and they were nearly £6 cheaper so I thought I'd cancel his order, Well no I can't. The price checker I'm using is "Honey" on Microsoft Edge anybody know of a better price checker?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 6:39pm
It's funny how you can go mouths without any new music releases then they come thick and fast. Four bands I like and one new artist I found while looking on youtube after a recommendation from this forum are coming out with new stuff in the next couple of mouths, Two of which I'm really looking forward to "Warpaint" and Gabriella Cohen, her album is out now but only as a digital download so I'm hoping it's coming out on either Vinyl or CD but I can't find any release dates. This time I'm not going to order them I'll wait till there out and then go SHOPPING.

-------------

Posted By: schumanesq
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 1:55pm
I just received (but have not yet opened) a couple of classic Sinatra LPs - actually purchased from someone in Poland via Discogs.  "Sinatra and Jobim" from 1967, one of my favorites - yes, a big Sinatra fan.  I love this album, previously listened to only on CD.  The other is a mid-50's classic, "In the Wee Small Hours" - again, a great album (even on CD) that I think captures Sinatra at his best.  He hadn't yet gotten into the swinging early 60's Sinatra style, and his voice seems to me to be at a midpoint of sorts - still sounding quite a bit like the 40's Sinatra but with more mature phrasing and a deeper baritone. Waiting for my loaner of the Accession to crack them open and compare with my recollection of the digital sources.

-------------
Steve Schuman

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm
Another recent arrival was "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall".  This is one of my wife's favorites and I did have a copy way back when.  The copy I just purchased is a 180g Analogue Productions copy - very highly rated as far as vinyl quietness and quality of pressing.  Can't wait to hear this again.  It is highly regarded as probably the best sounding live performance LP ever, with the ambiance of the hall and Harry's performance being top notch.

-------------
Steve Schuman

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by schumanesq schumanesq wrote:

The other is a mid-50's classic, "In the Wee Small Hours" - again, a great album (even on CD) that I think captures Sinatra at his best.  He hadn't yet gotten into the swinging early 60's Sinatra style, and his voice seems to me to be at a midpoint of sorts - still sounding quite a bit like the 40's Sinatra but with more mature phrasing and a deeper baritone.

This is an album I think almost anyone could appreciate if they gave it a chance. The album does have a bit of weird history as you may know, with various mixes being released over the years. The one to get is the "dry" version in mono without the reverb that was added a few years later. I couldn't believe how much different it sounded when I finally got my hands on it.

Unfortunately, IIRC I'm not sure the last LP reissue that used the correct mixes from a few years ago is still in print. There's not any in print CD of it either AFAIK, but it was available as a lossless download for a time.

Here's a fan site with tons of detail about it:

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1955_-_In_the_Wee_Small_Hours.html - http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1955_-_In_the_Wee_Small_Hours.html

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:15pm
Hey, thanks for the link to that article.  I tryly had no idea of the history on this album.  The version that I have (but have not listened to as yet) is the 2014 LP from Europe, mastered by Ron McMaster.  According to the article, that one used the dry tapes for all 16 tracks, so I am expecting good things!

-------------
Steve Schuman

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by schumanesq schumanesq wrote:

Hey, thanks for the link to that article.  I tryly had no idea of the history on this album.  The version that I have (but have not listened to as yet) is the 2014 LP from Europe, mastered by Ron McMaster.  According to the article, that one used the dry tapes for all 16 tracks, so I am expecting good things!

Yep, that's the one I have, and the matching FLAC download. Occasionally I will look in the used bins for the '55 mono LP or the 10''s but I've never seen one in a condition worth buying. Most copies I've seen in the used bins are actually re-releases from the 60s or 70s that use the wrong tapes or have horrible fake stereo processing.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:08pm
I have had to scratch one album off the list of new music I wont (Gabriella Cohen) as it looks like it's not being released on vinyl or CD, there seems to be a lot of reasons for this floating about on the internet but nothing coming from the label. I don't buy new music as a digital download I prefer to have a hard copy preferably on vinyl. This is disappointing as I have heard it on the labels website and it sounds really good. I just hope if it's only going to be as a download that it's not going to be a growing trend.

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:57pm
Hard copies are nice and you can read the sleeve notes on an LP. I must admit I'm doing that with Roon now and I think streaming has taken over from buying downloads.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have had to scratch one album off the list of new music I wont (Gabriella Cohen) as it looks like it's not being released on vinyl or CD, there seems to be a lot of reasons for this floating about on the internet but nothing coming from the label. I don't buy new music as a digital download I prefer to have a hard copy preferably on vinyl. This is disappointing as I have heard it on the labels website and it sounds really good. I just hope if it's only going to be as a download that it's not going to be a growing trend.

Unless I'm missing something, there are vinyl copies available here:

https://gabriellacohenmusic.bandcamp.com/album/blue-no-more - https://gabriellacohenmusic.bandcamp.com/album/blue-no-more

I definitely feel more comfortable with a physical copy over a download, but I gave into lossless downloads a few years back. Tried streaming many times but eventually gave up on it a few years ago as I wasn't using it enough and ended up spending too much time checking out music that I was curious about but didn't really enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 6:18pm
David
I have been on this website as it was Bandcamp that sent me an email telling me about this album, I am going to look into it more and see if I can order it from them but it's going to be down to cost as it will probably be imported from the USA and I may get stung for import duty.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:01pm
I have had a look on Bandcamp website and I can get it on vinyl but bloody hell, The album is £18.53 plus shipping to the UK another £18.47 I may even have to pay import duty, I think I'll give it a miss.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:07pm

I have had a look on Bandcamp website and I can get it on vinyl but bloody hell, The album is £18.53 plus shipping to the UK another £18.47 I may even have to pay import duty, I think I'll give it a miss.

Yeah, unfortunately shipping fees are a killer there. I rarely buy import vinyl off Bandcamp for that reason. There's also the chance of damage in transit, particularly if the seller doesn't use a very well reinforced mailer.

The only records I buy overseas anymore are from Japan. I can usually get 5-6 LPs shipped for $22 total and have them in a matter of 4-5 business days at most. That's faster than many domestic sellers and the fees aren't that much different from domestic fees. Luckily I am never charged customs fees.

When my friend had his record made in Canada and imported to the U.S., he did have to pay customs fees on that. So the quantity makes a difference here.

Rules are different in every country of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:15pm
I am going to wait and see, It may come out on CD or vinyl at a later date over here. I'm NOT paying £40 for single vinyl record album.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:28pm
I may go to the record shop where I first got to know her music and ask them if they know why it's only coming out as a download over here and if they know if it's coming out on CD, Vinyl. I will be going there anyway as there are some other album I wont. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:41pm
I have just been on Bandcamp website and posted a message on Gabriella Cohen's Message board about when or if "Blue no More" is coming out on CD or vinyl in the UK, it'll be interesting to see if I get a reply.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 7:00pm
Got a email from Gabriella's message board not good news as far as I'm concerned the only place You can get hard copy of her new album is Bandcamp's USA website (I am not paying over £19 shipping costs) so it looks like if I wont her new album it will have to be a digital download. I said this before, I hope this is not going to be the trend.

-------------

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:08pm
It's the way things are, Jon.
Times change.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:14pm
yes I know. I'm what is know as a DINOSAUR. Still I'll keep going with my old ways until I have no choice. Hopefully a long time.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:21pm
Looks like the only choice you have is accept the way it is, or deny yourself what you desire.
Personally I have no issue with Bandcamp downloads, and I've bought a number of albums that way.
I've even had artists thank me for NOT going down the Amazon route - Amazon looks after Amazon first and foremost, and they charge the artists a lot to distribute their wares.

Get the download, and if you must have a CD burn the files to CDR and play them via that method.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:34pm
Chris
It's all down to the quality of download, what do they give you? I would not pay for an mp3 that's not good enough it as to be a minimum of CD quality.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 11:05pm
FLAC is an acronym for Free Lossless Audio Codec, so there's a clue with the word lossless.
WAVs are uncompressed PCM, which is effectively what you have on yer CD.
ALAC is an acronym for Apple Lossless Audio Codec, so again the clue is the word lossless.
AIFF is Apple's version of uncompressed PCM.

All four file types are CD quality.

The files I have downloaded from Bandcamp have all been FLAC, so all CD quality as a minimum.
Some of the files have been higher bit depth and higher sample rate (ie Hi Res, for want of a better term).

If your artist doesn't have a least CD standard download drop them an email and bend their ear - be nice about it, and they'll listen and hopefully comply with your request.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 6:51pm
Chris 
FLAC is OK with me. I am going to burn it to CD-R and hopefully it will play in my car, I think it will play in the home CD player (almost certain) It's the only way I'm going to own a copy of it as I not going to pay over £40 for the record to came from the USA.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 4:55pm
I've playing David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust to death lately so I've just ordered Hunky Dory, I went for this album as it is his early music and I find that most artists early stuff is usually their best. I quote  - Oasis "Definitely Maybe" their best album the rest of their albums were rubbish this is "IMO" Bigger than the The Beatles what a load of crap.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 6:40pm
I hope you enjoy Hunky Dory Jon. Definitely Maybe is my favourite oasis album too.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 7:01pm
Jon 
I did get their 2nd album played it I think about three times and then took to the charity shop (that was about £13 wasted) after that I didn't buy any more of their music.

-------------

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 7:21pm

I've playing David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust to death lately so I've just ordered Hunky Dory, I went for this album as it is his early music and I find that most artists early stuff is usually their best. I quote  - Oasis "Definitely Maybe" their best album the rest of their albums were rubbish this is "IMO" Bigger than the The Beatles what a load of crap.

Wish there was a like button on this forum. Oasis post Definitely Maybe we’re utter sh*te. I don’t know who mixed it but the sound is the aural equivalent of having your feet caned.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:13pm
I think the Thanks button is the closest to Like or you could go for a thumbs up emoji.

To be fair the second Oasis album is good and was more commercially successful than DM which I prefer.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:27pm
I just couldn't get into them after the first album. Some of my mates like most of their albums, one said to me if they have one bad album that's it for you, you wont give them a 2nd chance, he's kind of right. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:34pm

Bowie had a lot of ups and downs throughout his career. Of the early albums, Hunky Dory is my favorite possibly followed by Aladdin Sane. I like Ziggy but the album is overplayed to me. Still a great one though.

My favorite period of his though starts with Station to Station and continues through Lodger and Scary Monsters. After that he goes through a dip again (depending on your tastes) but he had a strong late career with albums like Next Day and Black Star, again, IMHO.

Oasis's first album was definitely the best of their main albums, but a lot of their best songs were on b-sides for the first 2-3 albums. Masterplan gives you a bunch of those, but not all of them. The later albums have their moments but are definitely uneven IMHO.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 2:35pm
Soccer Mummy  "Sometimes, Forever" another artist I heard first at my favourite record shop in Totnes.

-------------

Posted By: RileyD
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:09pm
Tedeschi Trucks Band
I am the Moon, Volumes I, II, III, IV
4lp bundle released Sept 9

My favorite new release so far this year.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 7:54pm
Suede - Autofiction
Editors - EBM
both pre-orders

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:59am
Got the Suede "Autofiction" album. I've listen to it but I think it's one of these albums where you need to listen to it a 2nd time.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:31pm
Jackie Cohen "Pratfall" have heard a few tracks on her website and liked it, Simple Minds "Direction Of The Heart" I'm taking a chance on this album.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 6:33pm
I use to be spoilt for choice when it came to new music, I had four different record shops in town, now there is only one and if you can't get what you want there you only have a choice "order online or I have to go about 30 mins up the road to Totnes" to see if they have it.
Years ago I could spend a Saturday afternoon looking around the record shops in town and enjoy it, now I go in and I can't wait to get out. Ordering online is not the same as going into a record shop and browsing, There was one record shop I use to love going into, because of the staff being vary knowledgeable and helpfull, If you couldn't find what you were looking for they would bend over backwards for you to see if they could order it in for you or at less recommend something.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 7:10pm
Progress?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 7:45pm
Jon. 
Agree, but is it?
I use to enjoy going into record shops but now I'm more likely to order online, the one record shop in town that I can go to stocks mainstream music mostly so I take the attitude, why bother going into town when I can order online. The shop in Totnes is a bit different, you can get stuff from the smaller labels in there, I have some album on pre-order from them "order & collect" which is good as they do what they call "early bird discount" I try not to order too early as sometime I forget what I've ordered and then buy albums and then have to take it back because I've already ordered and paid for it.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:28pm
Yes that is true. Nothing wrong with being paid to work in an internet warehouse or a shop in a national chain but I like real shops. Specialised shops where the staff know about their products. Music on records or instruments are good examples. Sadly that usually means a hobby that became a job.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! I hope you enjoy the new music Jon.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:35pm
I've just ordered the vinyl reissue of Anna von Hausswolff's Dead Magic, to go with The Miraculous, which I already have.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 8:26pm
I'm thinking of ordering Pink Floyd TDSOTM 50th anniversary out this week (CD or vinyl) Anyone heard anything about it? 
I already have the 20th anniversary (CD) of it, but I've been told it's not the best copy. I suppose I'm asking is, is it an upgrade on what I have already. Not play it but today I got on vinyl Japan's first album. 

-------------

Posted By: Taki
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 10:29pm
The 50th Anniversary Dark Side is the same one that was in the box set released earlier this year.
There are numerous comparisons on YouTube.
I own the 30th, so I won't be getting this 
Hope this helps. 

https://youtu.be/HJpAz1EiBTQ?si=BRzIOrkWlmSemPJl - https://youtu.be/HJpAz1EiBTQ?si=BRzIOrkWlmSemPJl

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Taki Taki wrote:

The 50th Anniversary Dark Side is the same one that was in the box set released earlier this year.
There are numerous comparisons on YouTube.
I own the 30th, so I won't be getting this 
Hope this helps. 

https://youtu.be/HJpAz1EiBTQ?si=BRzIOrkWlmSemPJl - https://youtu.be/HJpAz1EiBTQ?si=BRzIOrkWlmSemPJl

Thanks.
I've decided agaist buying it. I already have three copies two on CD and one on vinyl. I think spending money on one more copy is just a waste of money. Between the two CDs I don't hear much difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 7:28pm
On order.
Soft Cell, Non-Stoperotic Cabaret
Tears for Fears, The Hurting
Boygenius, The Rest
Also have on my "wish list" 6 other albums, these are out later this year with one out next year.  The three on order (wish list too) are from The Drift Record Shop in Totnes, I don't think this is bad going, from confirmation of order email to ready to pick up email took 10 mins.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 7:55pm
Dark Side is such a well recorded album, it's tough to find a bad version. Enjoy it and wait for the 60th.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 9:13pm

Thanks.
I've decided agaist buying it. I already have three copies two on CD and one on vinyl. I think spending money on one more copy is just a waste of money. Between the two CDs I don't hear much difference.

I won't be buying it either. I like the album, but I've heard it a million times and I'm good with the versions I already have. For bargain hunters, I would recommend checking the used CD bins for Doug Sax's version released in the early 90s.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 9:14pm

On order.
Soft Cell, Non-Stoperotic Cabaret
Tears for Fears, The Hurting

Both classics IMHO.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 12:33am
Rolling Stones new album comes out this week.
Ordered the LP and the Blu-ray. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 7:56pm
Jimi Hendrix. Live at Woodstock.
Muse. Absolution (XX Anniversary)
Dire Straits. Live Albums 1978-1992. 8 CD box set, would have liked it on vinyl but just too expensive.

Both live albums are official releases.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 7:37pm
A few weeks ago I said to myself that I wasn't going to buy-order any more music for a few months as My spending was a bit out of control. This didn't last long. Had an email from Drift Record Shop about new albums coming out. I now have 4 albums on order and £96 spent. I think myself lucky I get overtime.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm
I'm sure you have earned some new music to enjoy Jon. What have you ordered?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 5:37pm
Got two on on Monday, both by Fun Lovin Criminals.
Portishead "Roseland NYC Live.
Bananarama. The Ultimate Collection.
Nina Simone. Nina's Back.
This is just a few. I have 6 others on order 4 of which are pre-orders so not sure when they will come, they do give you a date of release but it can be a bit hit or miss.
As you can see my orders have gone up since my last post.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:12am
That is a good selection, nice one Jon.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net