FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Munich High End Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:16am
Hi Vinod,
  I’ve done a lot of experimentation with different bits of isolation equipment under my Majestic and Reflex/EXP combo. When they were sitting in a glass shelf, everything I tried improved the sound in terms of resolution and dynamics. Some more than others. Also resulted in small changes to colour and tone. Not always good.
Moving them onto heavy bamboo made a big difference. Now all of the footers make negligible difference. Glass shelves are now gone.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:23am
Hi Jon, With the Weight on Top the Majestic (As in pic), the unit is stable. However I do not have the space to keep the DAC directly on the Hifi rack, so this is my best option at the moment Smile
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:35am
Thanks Mick. I have always liked the solidity offered by the Wooden Hifi furniture. Also I assume Glass as a Turntable Platter is also a bit tricky. I have seen one of the famous one's offer the Glass Platter. 
Vinod Vincent

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
That's what I'd have done too.

I am pleased with my bamboo rack and like its appearance.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm
Interesting reading the above posts; I've never found any problems with glass shelves. My 'Stands Unique' rack (company now defunct, I think) is a wood and glass affair with fairly substantial (10mm) glass shelves. Maybe weight is a factor? I must admit, I do use granite with spikes in conjunction with the glass for some components and the whole thing is seriously heavy.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:51pm
Hi Peter,
Based on my understanding Glass has very Good Structural Rigidity based on the Thickness. But one undesirable property of the Glass is the ringing effect (How the sound Vibrations are transferred). I was recently watching a Youtube video on a speaker that uses a Glass for its Cabinet. But they are using "Sandwiched / Laminated" panel.
Link 2 on Glass Panel for Sound Insulation: http://blog.thermawood.com.au/laminated-glass-soundproofing
Vinod Vincent

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:31pm
I think you are right Vinod, internal damping is the key in glass shelves. Also a stable rack would limit the spread of ringing vibrations, if indeed the shelves acted this way. Most of the glass shelves I saw were laminated as you suggest.

My experience of wooden shelves in a well designed rack has been better than various glass ones and less likely to show patterns in dust!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic