FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GuiseleyDavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuiseleyDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic DAC
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:39pm
I have many large files on hard drive that are too large in sample rate for the maximum specification on the USB input on the DAC.  As a simple non engineer I wish to know if the Dac will play them and if so will it do them justice.  I note that we are advised that if we only look at the specs, we will miss out on the music.  I am on the waiting list to borrow a DAC and if it won't play them I can withdraw and not waste peoples time.  I am using a GS MM phono stage and am waiting for delivery on a MC phono stage, so as a big fan, I am hoping that I can use the DAC.   
Thanks in advance for your help. 
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:58pm
The USB input spec for the Majestic was chosen because special drivers would not be required.

Your computer's default behaviour is to play the file, using whatever resources it takes to do the job.
This includes downsampling files, which is what the computer should do transferring the data over USB.

So the short answer is yes, it should play your files.
But there is a cost, and it depends on the operating system of the computer hooked up to the DAC how big that cost is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuiseleyDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:14pm
Thank you, is it worth continuing with loaning a DAC from you and seeing how it performs, or should I look elsewhere? 

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:48pm
Try it and see what you think of it.

How do you play your files currently, and by that I mean computer type, OS & media player?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by GuiseleyDavid GuiseleyDavid wrote:

Thank you, is it worth continuing with loaning a DAC from you and seeing how it performs, or should I look elsewhere? 

Hi David and welcome to the forum.
I, like many others here have quite a variety of music files from 320k mp3 to 192k/24 bit. They reside on a 500GB SSD attached directly by USB and also a 2TB NAS vis ethernet to a Raspberry Pi3 with HiFiBerry Digi+ HAT feeding to my Majestic via SPDIF. I can also feed via USB, although I prefer the SPDIF as it has better isolation due to transformer couplin. The Pi runs Moode audio player and is set to resample everything to 96k/24 bit which the Majestic handles without problem and sounds quite excellent.
I would therefore recommend that you do try out the Majestic, with USB and SPDIF inputs.
I would also recommend the Raspberry Pi solution as it can give much better sound quality than most computers due most likely to it being used as a dedicated audio device.
As has been said many times on this forum - don't get hung up on the numbers!

Hope this helps
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuiseleyDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:04pm
Windows 7 on a crappy Pipo computer (so as not to have fans running) using foobar into the USB on a Arcam irDACII. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuiseleyDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:03am
Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic