FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mains conditioning
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:44am
One of the troubles with making your own HiFi components is that there always seems to be another small improvement that can be made, just to get it to the next level !
I have been 'on the case' regarding the background noise from my PreAmp and which I have now identified as due to mains noise. The PSUs in it are fed from a Filter Mains connector and use linear voltage regulators but despite that it seems a lot of higher frequency spikes are getting through.

I am considering buying a Mains conditioning extension lead to add extra filtering to the supply.
Does anyone have experience of such things, do they work?
Are there any limitations? For example can they limit the instantaneous current that a Power Amp might demand.
Can anyone recommend a best buy?

Thanks
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:59am
Hi Peter, I found it helps more on source components but not on powerful amplifiers like subwoofers which were less dynamic. The impact on the Proprius amps (I ran one channel direct from the wall socket and one filtered) was inaudible bar the odd thermostat spike.

The prices go very high and I'd rewire for a clean mains line to the hifi (other here have done this with VG results I believe) rather than spend four figures on filters. A cheapish test you could try is one of the Tacoma filters Richer Sounds sell, like the CS947.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:56pm
Peter when you refer to noise and spikes do you mean clicks/pops? Also are these audible on everything or just certain sources?

I have tried mains purifiers in the past and sold them on as I could not tell any meaningful differences.

Cannot comment on spike/surge protection though my power block does have some protection.

As outlined above, feeding a separate mains fed from an independent consumer unit certainly should help the overall sound, but how much it will impact on spikes and other interference it will depend on where this is coming from, I suspect not a great deal personally. I used 10mm twin and earth for my dedicated mains spur.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:58pm
As richard says it would depend what is putting the spikes and interference on the local mains but I found plug-in spike suppressors next to my fridge and my chest freezer helped.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 4:23pm
Have a look at the PSU circuit diagrams for your DIY amps and check if there are any snubbing capacitors across the rectifier diodes (the ones connected between your mains transformer and the big smoothing capacitors (the unregulated dc before the regulators). Without these, the transients as the rectifiers turn on/off on each mains half-cycle generate nasty spikes which may be your problem. Something like 47nF ceramic discs capacitors in parallel with each of these rectifier diodes should help eliminate the problem.

peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 4:45pm
Thanks Jon and Richard for your comments.
I thought of running a new mains spur but it would be very difficult in my old Edwardian house.
What started this off was putting my ear to the speakers and noticed more white noise from the left than the right channel. I then checked with a scope and saw the baseline circuit noise was supplemented by some higher frequency blips every 100Hz, of variable levels. I hoped I would be able to identify the culprit but so far have failed.
I thought a possible solution would be a product like the Tacima CS947, about £35, which you mentioned Jon, but I wondered if anyone had experience of it.

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:16pm
That 100Hz stuff is the transients from the rectifiers (see my previous post).

PS - don't forget there's a Genera sitting here you can try out. PM me.

Edited by gwebster - 04 Mar 2017 at 5:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic