FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 1:28pm
Hi. My set up is fairly conventional. My main listening source is vinyl, I use a Reflex M connected to an Arcam amp (FMJ A19). I occasionally listen to CD or stream Spotify from my MacBook Pro via the DAC on my Audiolab 8200CD. I'm thinking of upgrading my amp and speakers and am considering various options and how many boxes I'm going to need. 
If I go the Graham Slee route and replace the Arcam with a Majestic / 2 x Proprius combo, will I still need the Reflex M or does the Majestic do that job? Presumably I'll need a separate headphone amp as well (the Arcam has a pretty good headphone outlet). Also, part of my reason for upgrading the Arcam is that some of the speakers I'm considering need a more powerful amplifier to drive them. 
I'm not at all technical but while the Proprius seems to have a fairly low power output it is quoted as being capable of driving the most demanding speakers. Apologies if my questions sound naive but I'm trying to understand how this works and if it's for me.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
 my take of this matter ....the size volume of the listening room is a consideration. 
  It is Not POWER but quality of the Amp output. until recent, an ' audiophile amp manufacturer'' used to quote 20 watts per channel but at 3 o'clock on the pre amp knob ....the Music has a Presence and veuve and full bodied whilst other Amp need to be set at 6 O'oclock and then then bass was overwhelming and volume was overbearing. 

My Focal Chora 706 @87 needs half way on the pre amp whilst the Focal ARIA 92 only 3 o'clock...to release the music.  Power allows more of the atmosphere transient to be release into the music but the Equation requires a factor for room acoustics, listen volume, ear tuning and musical genre. 
Orchestral music need large speaker volume and power the reproduce the subtle nuance that release music emotional content and provide the experience ....but there is always a compromise so i have 4 set of speakers and 3 Amps ....''horses for courses ''as they say...     

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:31pm
You would still need the Reflex. It might be interesting to know what speakers are on your short list.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:32pm
I've got ATC on my list, I'm pushed for space and they work well closer to the wall.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:47pm
Try a pair. Same question's been asked for the past 10 years. No returns yet.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:37pm
Majestic is a line-level preamplifier, NOT a phono-level preamplifier. For vinyl, you need a phono stage as the initial signal size is much lower than line level.

I highly endorse the Majestic-Proprius combo. I use mine to drive either speakers or headphones of sensible impedance and electrical sensitivity, with absolutely fantastic results. I don't personally need a dedicated headphone amp.

Been driving my mono-suspension Alpair 11MS super-nearfield on cardboard open baffles for the last couple of days and the sound is promising if I can apply EQ to them via DSP. I have set the Proprius dials to 9 o'clock and with my ear almost right up against the speaker cone, there is no hiss, almost completely silent, and there is plenty of gain left on the Majestic dial for cranking the music loud. Outstanding musical electronics.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:21am
Taking one popular model as an example, the sensitivity of the SCM40 is quoted as 85db/1w/1m, into 8 ohm nominal. It's true that that's a little on the low side, but not extremely so.

With the Proprius, you'd be enjoying peak listening levels in the mid-90s at typical distances. That's above the level for hearing damage if sustained for several hours, and subjectively I find that very loud, preferring to do most of my listening in the 70s.

One consistent attribute of high quality equipment is that you get all the musical information at low to moderate levels, so it isn't necessary to crank it to get satisfaction. Still fun occasionally though, and a lot will depend on personal preference of music genre and listening level.

I've heard A**** amplification, and I also hear Slee amplification, regularly. I'd expect a big SQ uplift from the Proprius.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic