Print Page | Close Window

Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: And the rest
Forum Name: Pre-amplification
Forum Description: This was covered under Amplification but we decided it needed a section of its own
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5233
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?
Posted By: Frank Furter
Subject: Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 1:28pm
Hi. My set up is fairly conventional. My main listening source is vinyl, I use a Reflex M connected to an Arcam amp (FMJ A19). I occasionally listen to CD or stream Spotify from my MacBook Pro via the DAC on my Audiolab 8200CD. I'm thinking of upgrading my amp and speakers and am considering various options and how many boxes I'm going to need. 
If I go the Graham Slee route and replace the Arcam with a Majestic / 2 x Proprius combo, will I still need the Reflex M or does the Majestic do that job? Presumably I'll need a separate headphone amp as well (the Arcam has a pretty good headphone outlet). Also, part of my reason for upgrading the Arcam is that some of the speakers I'm considering need a more powerful amplifier to drive them. 
I'm not at all technical but while the Proprius seems to have a fairly low power output it is quoted as being capable of driving the most demanding speakers. Apologies if my questions sound naive but I'm trying to understand how this works and if it's for me.

Replies:
Posted By: Sylvain
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
 my take of this matter ....the size volume of the listening room is a consideration. 
  It is Not POWER but quality of the Amp output. until recent, an ' audiophile amp manufacturer'' used to quote 20 watts per channel but at 3 o'clock on the pre amp knob ....the Music has a Presence and veuve and full bodied whilst other Amp need to be set at 6 O'oclock and then then bass was overwhelming and volume was overbearing. 

My Focal Chora 706 @87 needs half way on the pre amp whilst the Focal ARIA 92 only 3 o'clock...to release the music.  Power allows more of the atmosphere transient to be release into the music but the Equation requires a factor for room acoustics, listen volume, ear tuning and musical genre. 
Orchestral music need large speaker volume and power the reproduce the subtle nuance that release music emotional content and provide the experience ....but there is always a compromise so i have 4 set of speakers and 3 Amps ....''horses for courses ''as they say...     

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:31pm
You would still need the Reflex. It might be interesting to know what speakers are on your short list.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:32pm
I've got ATC on my list, I'm pushed for space and they work well closer to the wall.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:47pm
Try a pair. Same question's been asked for the past 10 years. No returns yet.

It started here:  https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/graham-slee-power-amplifier_topic1052_post7972.html#7972 - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/graham-slee-power-amplifier_topic1052_post7972.html#7972

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:37pm
Majestic is a line-level preamplifier, NOT a phono-level preamplifier. For vinyl, you need a phono stage as the initial signal size is much lower than line level.

I highly endorse the Majestic-Proprius combo. I use mine to drive either speakers or headphones of sensible impedance and electrical sensitivity, with absolutely fantastic results. I don't personally need a dedicated headphone amp.

Been driving my mono-suspension Alpair 11MS super-nearfield on cardboard open baffles for the last couple of days and the sound is promising if I can apply EQ to them via DSP. I have set the Proprius dials to 9 o'clock and with my ear almost right up against the speaker cone, there is no hiss, almost completely silent, and there is plenty of gain left on the Majestic dial for cranking the music loud. Outstanding musical electronics.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:21am
Taking one popular model as an example, the sensitivity of the SCM40 is quoted as 85db/1w/1m, into 8 ohm nominal. It's true that that's a little on the low side, but not extremely so.

With the Proprius, you'd be enjoying peak listening levels in the mid-90s at typical distances. That's above the level for hearing damage if sustained for several hours, and subjectively I find that very loud, preferring to do most of my listening in the 70s.

One consistent attribute of high quality equipment is that you get all the musical information at low to moderate levels, so it isn't necessary to crank it to get satisfaction. Still fun occasionally though, and a lot will depend on personal preference of music genre and listening level.

I've heard A**** amplification, and I also hear Slee amplification, regularly. I'd expect a big SQ uplift from the Proprius.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 8:59am
Am I able to do this in stages? For example, start by using the Arcam as a pre amp feeding a pair of Proprius blocks?

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:07am
Yes, you can. You will find “PRE OUT” terminals on the back of the FMJ. Connect these to the Proprii.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:14am
Personally, if I were doing this exercise myself I'd do it in stages.

I'd start with getting the speakers right - matching them to the room and to my sound preferences. The A**** should be amply good enough for this part as it's mostly about how the directivity and bass interracts with the room. Then I'd borrow the Proprius and convince myself of the SQ uplift over the A**** and its adequate power to drive the speakers to my listening preferences. Then I'd borrow the Majestic and convince myself of its SQ gain.

That's just me though.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
Incidentally, on the - very important - point of wanting to site the speakers close(r) to the rear wall, sealed-box designs such as ATC are definitely the way to go, or, as second-best, front-ported. Rear-ported is quite risky in that position.

OP, I'd recommend finding a friendly dealer who'll let you home-demo your choice of speakers. In the shop you'll be able to assess overall tonal balance, quality of cabinetry, that sort of thing, but you won't get any idea of how the bass will interract with your room, without actually hearing it in your room. Ultimately, if the mid or upper bass turns out to be too much, it will swamp the critical midrange, hiding whatever qualities there may be in the upstream electronics.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
Yes that order* would work and was the order I did it FWIW. I had a hifi staple that was rated at 200W rms per channel and was the first person to loan a set of Proprius amps which led to an order days later. I used the big amp as a preamp feeding the Proprius amps before building a passive preamp (aka 'pot in the box') before I saved up for a Majestic DAC/preamp and things really took off.

*speakers that sound right in your room, then better amp and preamp

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:49pm
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post and share their knowledge / experience. Appreciated. It's helped clarify and given me food for thought. Thanks guys.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net