FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:32pm
Yes (pun not intended), prog did seem to be a peculiarly British and, perhaps, northern-European type of music. I seem to remember some (half-)wit in the past being asked to explain what makes a prog rock band. His answer: three tons of equipment and a public school education

Love this,brilliant.

Saw Gordon Giltrap at Newcastle city hall in the early seventies,their were six of us in the audience and I'll give the guy his due we got the full concert and it was brilliant.Bloody Newcastle snow.
Also saw Genesis a couple of times and as members of the fan club we used to get invites to the after gig party at The Dolce Vita.They were nice approachable guys in those days particularly Mike Rutherford but boy could they drink.
Zappa was also good after a night out but had to be careful if we had a lass in tow as some of his lyrics were a bit fruity.
Phil
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Mike Oldfield music is a bit folkey, and difficult to classify. Everybody has heard of Tubular Bells (with its Viv Stanshall "Intro and Outro" influenced and narrated instrumental listing). Maybe we need a genre with the title Quirky?

Being a big Oldfield fan (yes, I said it out loud) I agree that he's a difficult one to classify.....Quirky certainly encompasses a fair amount of what he's done where folk and rock (amongst others) fail to. Wink
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by phildent phildent wrote:

Zappa was also good after a night out but had to be careful if we had a lass in tow as some of his lyrics were a bit fruity.
Phil

Joes Garage by any chance to name but one
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Phil

It was more a case of finding the least offensive.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by mitch65 mitch65 wrote:

Mike Oldfield music is a bit folkey, and difficult to classify. Everybody has heard of Tubular Bells (with its Viv Stanshall "Intro and Outro" influenced and narrated instrumental listing). Maybe we need a genre with the title Quirky?

Being a big Oldfield fan (yes, I said it out loud) I agree that he's a difficult one to classify.....Quirky certainly encompasses a fair amount of what he's done where folk and rock (amongst others) fail to. Wink

I really love the nissed Viv Stanshall track on the digital release of "Bells" - so funny. I also liked Ommadawn a lot - until I found it's misspelled Gaelic for "idiot"!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Phil

It was more a case of finding the least offensive.

Nah, in South Yorkshire you wouldn't have had that problem Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:30pm

Nah, in South Yorkshire you wouldn't have had that problem Wink

Just out of interest would you class Zappa as Prog rock or just different

Edited by LOINER - 15 May 2015 at 5:31pm
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic