FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HOW MUCH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Yes there is probably the appeal of owning the best money can buy. Before we get on moral high horses don't we all enjoy saying we got a bargain in a sale or second hand?

Opens can of worms…

The best money can buy? Surely that would be the audio equipment that measures the best? 

Or would it be the equipment that sounds the best? 

Or would it be the equipment that looks the best?

Wink

I think stuff like the equipment linked to is bought by premiership footballers etc. 
Output measured in kW, when most listening is done at around 1W (as Graham stated recently on another thread).

Edited by CageyH - 03 Mar 2022 at 7:03pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:29pm
Kevin just hit the nail on the head. What does the buyer care about most? Appearance, sound performance or impressive measurement.

If I could only have one, I know which one I would choose.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:19pm
A slightly different perspective on: Is it worth it? 

For me, the question (for a £100k amp) can be seen as a larger-scale version of Genera vs Accession.

Both are phono amps. One has fewer compromises than the other, which is at a lower price point.

Each potential purchaser has to make the decision as to which is more suitable for them and their budget. (Or perhaps one of the amps in between, the principle is the same)

How do we advise them to make this decision? By listening. Then they will know whether the extra cost is "worth it" - for them.

They may say "all Phono amps sound the same". We would say - that's a myth. Try listening.

They may say "no one can justify spending £1k on a phono amp". We would say - that's a myth. There is a market for these products, so some people can justify it.

They may say "everybody making a £1k phono amp must be just taking their customers for a ride". We would say - that's a myth. Maybe some are, but in this case look at the engineering effort which went into this product, and look at how delighted customers are with it.

They may say "I could buy the components from RS for £5.99 and build it myself". We would say - go ahead then, but it won't be an Accession.

They may say "A phono amp costing £1k can't possibly sound that much better than one costing £132". We would say - have you actually heard the £1k amp? Try listening, then you will know whether it does sound that much better - for you. If it doesn't, then hurrah - you just saved nearly £900.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:37pm
seen another Dragon for sale this one so the seller says is unused, this one is going for £8312 and they are giving you a two year warranty and to record on it how about spending £28 for five  blank TDK 60 mins tapes
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:05pm
You can buy a pair of cables for $40k, so £8k on a tape deck seems like a bargain.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Kevin just hit the nail on the head. What does the buyer care about most? Appearance, sound performance or impressive measurement.

The high price, perhaps?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:35pm
And I agree with discrete badger about making your choice at your price.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic