FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Harshness, Clicks and Pops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:51pm
A capacitor has resistance and inductance.
A resistor has capacitance and inductance.
An inductor has resistance and capacitance.
A wire has inductance.
A PCB trace has inductance.

I peruse your post diligently and regularly and without the technical ability or test equipment I can concur with the rationale of your deliberations clearly and intelligently though emotionally exposed but good education .....and also useful knowledge to my pursuit. I have by 1995 when Digital technology overwhelm AUDIO Hifi to make the 1bit player and it's convenience...clear cold clinical sound but would not accord with the musicality,  natural warm tone of the acoustic instruments that shimmers and vibrates tingling sensations and give life to music ......in the first decade of teh new century relinquish the new bright clean sounds for Proprius, Genera. Nova. But the all Important DAC has improved to reproduce through software synthetic acoustic tone ....And digital pre amp to attenuate the huge line signal. The Hifi Industry has not allowed me to fulfil my audio music development and I read and  read your blogs .......to develop what is much needed for audio enthusiast ..a True GSP or DAK tone analogue Pre Amp .....incorporating an active buffer with Valveeee...ee tone between Proprious and DAC........and somewhere in the last few pages until I can digest it is the secret ...but need a Designer committed to a DAK analogue Pre amp....with  an active op amp Buffer ...Can you help.... 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Sylvain Sylvain wrote:

a Designer committed to a DAK analogue Pre amp

I can certainly help. I am trying to reach that goal. The power amp had to be achieved first because of the costs involved. The costs are difficult to explain here, but have had to follow a planned direction aimed at succeeding.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:11pm
A capacitor has resistance and inductance.
A resistor has capacitance and inductance.
An inductor has resistance and capacitance.
A wire has inductance.
A PCB trace has inductance.

Without Pre-empting any your designed concept for an Analogue Pre Amp ...I can no longer resist the temptation to ask when yours|(above) posted on 21st February at 5:20 AM reached my laptop .....

Would an Isolation Transformer deal with the of Yours above in italic and isolation transformer to achieve matching inpedence between Proprious and DAC or Genera ....Please ?

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:12am
Why would we use a non-linear device to improve the signal?

The electronics world has spent the last 100 years trying to make the passage of signals as linear, and as such, least distorted as they've ever been.

Harshness is caused by distortion. Harold Black was tasked to remove the distortion from telephony and invented negative feedback. Harry Nyquist developed the stability criterion to "tidy-up" the negative feedback.

Those works happened 87 years ago, and since then, other engineers have developed the processes involved to improve the quality of sound.

My job has been to study every avenue, and since the internet made file-sharing possible, I must have researched most of those developments.

Still, we see snake-oil peddlers trying to undermine a lot of this, using baseless claims. Judging by the financial information I've been able to see, some of these companies are very wealthy.

They amass the wealth through sales, from which comes profit. I can only conclude there are an awful lot of gullible customers in hi-fi.

I have often said I'd like to get away from audio altogether and do something in the real world - to be able to stand at a distance and laugh at the dire state it is in.

Why would you use a transformer, which will always have linearity issues, fix linearity issues?

What you should be doing is dumping the products causing you the problem. I'd have thought that obvious.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:45pm
You have a good following of people who still recognise '' natural tone of musical equiplement''....and Vinyl albeit grooved with digital Lathe and even cassette tape is beginning to return under a new design. Acoustic guitar and piano even flutes and short city trumpet horn and new design material Blow music instrument and acoustic tone is beginning to be re heard in it's natural...ness  ....NOT from a laptop M-Audio DIGITIZE software ...

Amplifiers are having difficulty to decide what is T, Z, D , G , H class in their digital design contruction, very clean and clear but MUSIC is not about linearity, and RIAA does not follow the rule but has pleasant warm to convey emotional content  in it's natural true Tone and you cannot describe it but oNly Feels   AND few are those who can design to reproduce the emotional content but the HIFI Industry seek to recondition our hearing perception and have ladies scantily dress art HIFI SHOW got lure you and glamorous scintilising colours and colours and $£,00000000 tag to represent your status b ugh NOT musical satisfaction  but MARKETING is being played at it's own games these days ..
.No how about an ANALOGUE PRE Amp with an Op Amp active Buffer with a VALVEE TONE...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic