FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

FrugelHorn XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
KJFAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJFAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I want to first explore what is possible with a pair of single drivers that I will attach to Meccano metal frames, built to sit on my desk. Something that Meccano has that I might be able to take advantage of is that it has small holes across all of the part surfaces, which may certainly come in handy when trying to design an enclosure without audible boxiness.

The bass will just wrap round and cancel.

Actually the cancellation doesn't happen until the front and rear wave fronts can sum and hence cancel which happens a little further away from the driver, there is no cancellation right by the driver, its called proximity effect and is how open backed headphones all work so as long Ash has got them close enough (less than half the diameter of the driver) to his ears all is good. 

Let's not put him off, everyone want to see a photo of Ash wearing his drivers :)
UK/EU dealer for Mark Audio Drivers and Manufacturer of speaker kits
KJFAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJFAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Just finished the XLs, plugged 'em in and put some music on. They sound great, can't believe a kit can sound this good. Hell of a sound stage on them.

And they'll inprove as I run them in? Wow.

Nice to see another pair of these out there. Well done.

Stefan
UK/EU dealer for Mark Audio Drivers and Manufacturer of speaker kits
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 11:00pm
Thanks Stefan, I'm really pleased with sounds I'm hearing. I've no idea how I'm getting so much bottom end and all the highs of a tweeter just no tweeter.

Really open sound, the bass notes don't seem to hang around like a reflex speaker either. Makes quite room friendly, just put them in the corners and they sound great.

Proac's will be up for sale.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic