FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

FrugelHorn XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:45pm
Thanks Ian, I'm looking at the Markaudio Alpair 12P driver pair. Might be a good place to start some listening. I could try a smaller driver though, which may be more sensible for my small room.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 8:14pm
Ash, from all I've read I think the Alpair 7M or 10.3 might be more appropriate for smaller rooms, however the 12P may work acceptably on an open baffle, which is a very simple arrangement that can give good results.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 8:19pm
I'd rather have a larger driver and an open baffle. Not sure whether the Alpair 12PW might be a more sensible choice than the 12P for open baffle. Midbass weighting...
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:50am
Go onto DIY.com on the full range forum,Where Dave Dlugos and Scottmoose post.Hundreds of designs and Dave is a great bloke to deal with.
I have been building full range speakers for the best part of forty years and there are some things they do that no other speaker can.
For small scale work and solo vocal they are sublime but they have very limited sound levels and cannot do large scale or Rock at all.
The latest seems to be FAST which is basically a full range augmentad on the bottom by a bass driver.
The sweetest I have ever built is a pair of ENabled Foestex 126 en which are nominal 4 inch speaker in a 6 foot double back horn,a Scottmoose design'
The smaller drivers seem to be much better,being much sweeter and not beaming as much.
I have a couple of CSS 4 inch speakers if anyone wants to give them a go,as well as 2x CSS sdx7 which are as rare as rocking horse poop as they are now out of production.Dave Dlugos swears by them.
I also built a pair of Beta test boxes designed by Dave for testing fitted with Audio Nirvana 10 inch cast frames.They beamed like hell ,were very uncouth and my son now has them.

The best full range by far is the Jordan Watt Elkona.I have a pair in Townshend Glastonbury cabinets with Townshend original supertweeter and they are sublime.They have the sweetness in the midrange of a full range and will take the roof of the house if you so wish.
The cabinet is basically a MLTL.
Open baffles seem to have to be absolutely huge to work at all although I am told by Dave that Betsy K's in OB with wings can be fun.

Try the Frugel Horns in a corner to extend the horn and although they probably will still struggle with scale they will be sublime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:34am
Hi Phil,
I must admit that I was inspired to try a Full range design by Dave, Scott and Mark Fenlon's contributions on Diyaudio; however I feel that the threads do at times get hijacked and comments did turn quite vitriolic regarding MA drivers. As many will know Mark Fenlon left the forum for that very reason.
For those reasons I specifically avoided direct references to that particular forum, I don't feel as comfortable there as here!
Over the years I have heard many Fostex (and clones) designs, but their sound doesn't really appeal to me until you get to the huge horns, which for most of us are truly impractical!
I built a pair of Jordan based speakers some 40 years ago, remarkable performance for such a small unit. I was tempted to go that route again with the Eikona; perhaps next years project?
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:32am
Hi Ian,Yes ,quite agree about the forum but its still a mine of information.
The original Frugel Horn with Fostex never really floated my boat but I had some early 4inch MA's in an 11 litre spherical enclosure that amazed everybody that heard them.
Will be nice to hear how the Frugek Horn XL with MA's sound and perhaps they are a step nearer to a full range for everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:45am
The FHxls are now up and running. A few pics of the final stages of assembly.

Driver aperture, acoustic foam behind driver and Spatia wiring.

Terminal plate on rear.

Comparison to Dynaudio Gemini

Initial sound is quite impressive, soundstage is excellent, Bass is developing after removing 80% of front stuffing. A bit more running in required methinks.....
A plinth and/or spikes will help, when I get round to it, listening and further breaking in are priorities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic