FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Figure of 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:53pm
...have now switched the PSU on the are Revelation - interesting that the difference was a lot smaller, marginal indeed. Will have to try another day to conclude in the Revelation......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 4:56pm
Further experimentation with the figure of 8 on my Resolution with fresh ears and different albums have confirmed yesterday's findings that the differences are so small as to be inconclusive. This is strange when tuned in when the nature of the differences are already known and quite obvious on the Elevator.

This does remind me of a well known manufacturers mains purification product - again I seriously could not tell any noticeable change in any area and ended up moving the product on.

I will try again at some point but think I will just enjoy some more music for now!

Cheers for now
richard
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 10:40am
Hi everyone,
     Having just re-read this entire thread, my interest was again aroused. I went figure-8 cable flipping again. I confirmed to myself that I had it right. "Upside down" the soundstage got massive and indistinct, just like those out of phase tracks on hifi set up albums. I file it under "free system upgrades".
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:46pm
...having reversed the f8 from when playing them originally have revisited my new Six Wives of Henry viii - much better now - purer more dynamic, more drive and imaged/ space.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:32pm
I was first alerted to this many years ago when I bought an aftermarket cable for my Marantz CD60SE (that'll tell you how long ago). The cable manufacturer suggested I experiment with this. I believe around that time, or maybe a few years later, a certain well known mail order hi-fi accessory company offered some sort of device for testing polarity. I haven't looked to see if they still do. I forgot all about this afterwards as everything I owned had standard IEC connectors.

That is until a couple of years ago when I marked the cables on my PSU1's with a blob of 'er indoors' nail varnish (clearly a better use for it imo). The differences are as others have found..one way is slightly phasey, actually not that -  i dunno a bit  erm...loose i suppose, with central images slightly recessed. The other seems better focussed while still maintaining a broad stereo image.

On my Elevator it seems clear to me that the blob of nail varnish goes at the bottom. So neutral to the top. Swapping just the Accession seems to have less effect, which either echoes Richard's experience with his Revelation or possibly means I'm not familiar enough with it (plus it's only been live for 24hrs and is still bedding in).

So which way does it for you chaps...is there a consensus? or do transformers really get wound any which way? Why aren't these things marked + and -?

I googled transformer polarity testers & understood none of the results Confused

Edited by DaveG - 27 Mar 2016 at 8:49pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:32pm
Imagine the frustration of trying to decide on the best orientation if you were using an Accession, Majestic and Solo ULDE, all with PSU1 power supplies... Confused

It was bad enough when I was using a Solo UL with the Majestic...

It is certainly phase response that's affected; I don't think it's placebo effect for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm
Interesting Dave. IF this is a common finding (possibly not statistical on two observations) could it be anything to do with the lower level signal within the Elevator than the revelation/accession and therefor it has a bigger impact? I think there was a comment that a Maestro was again lower magnitude - further down the signal change?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic