FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Classic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essential Classic Rock
    Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:48pm
Hi guys,

I recently started exploring new artists and this has resulted in a more detailed look into 70s rock (southern, progressive, etc). I've started on greatest hits compilations which, if I like what I hear, results in working through the back catalogue. Ignoring Floyd (I've already bought Atom Heart Mother - Wish You Were Here) and Lynyrd Skynyrd, I have compilations of Fleetwood Mac, The Band, Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Bad Company, Free, Foreigner, Queen and the Rolling Stones, among others. Still on my list is Pilot, Boston, John Miles, Steppenwolf, Eagles and possibly Genesis.

Am I missing any greats? And are there albums that are better to go for than generic greatest hits?

Thanks in advance,

T
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:39pm
Jethro Tull
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:41pm
Tim don't forget Little Feat,i would suggest Feats Don't Fail Me Now and Waiting for Columbus,
the latter being a really good live album.Iwould suggest the ones that have Lowell George in the group as I don't think they were as good after he died .
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
Looking at your list I'd add The Who (Who's Next, or Live At Leeds - my favourite live album), Deep Purple (Machine Head or In Rock), Rush (2112 for the music, not the politics), and Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland), David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust). AC/DC - Back in Black. Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet. Cream - Disraeli Gears.

It's Blues but please buy a B.B. King compilation and buy Hard Again by Muddy Waters.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:06pm
+1 On the Hendrix, Rolling Stones,Cream and the BB King .
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:23pm
You need to hear Brothers & Sisters by The Allman Brothers Band.
I had the pleasure of seeing them once, a long, long time ago, and they were phenomenal Smile

Then you've got Derek & The Dominoes - the link between The Allman Brothers Band and Derek & The Dominoes is Duane Allman.
Eric Clapton went to an Allman Brothers Band concert with the sole intention of checking out The Allman Brothers Band's first guitarist and founding member, one Duane Allman.

Duane saw EC sat in the front row and freaked out.

EC was bowled over with what he heard and invited Duane to play on the sessions for the Derek & The Dominoes album being worked on, and the rest is history.

Duane plays the slide guitar on Layla - the high harmony part and solo.
Duane played on quite a bit of the album too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layla_and_Other_Assorted_Love_Songs

Duane was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident shortly before Brothers & Sisters was recorded.

Edited by Chris Firth - 19 Jul 2015 at 9:43pm
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:35pm
Thanks guys. I couldn't remember the full list but I also bought the Experience Hendrix compilation (just wish it sounded less "aged") and Deep Purple - The Platinum Collection. I shall look into those albums suggested, thanks.

I listen to everything so no worries there. I bought B.B. King - His Definitive Hits too and want to look more into blues but definitely need pointers with that one. My only problems with B.B. is that: 1. (by his own admission) his blues is often more commercial/pop-y and 2. while it's good, his live versions are always better! I've never been a concert person but every one of his performances I've watched on YouTube are sublime. I have a Stevie Wonder concert bluray where B.B. joins in though... But yes, all genres please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic