Print Page | Close Window

Essential Classic Rock

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Music
Forum Name: Archetypal Genesis, Floyd and Yes Generation Stuff!
Forum Description: Hippie music from the 60's and 70's mainly to do with Rock
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2625
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Essential Classic Rock
Posted By: miT
Subject: Essential Classic Rock
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:48pm
Hi guys,

I recently started exploring new artists and this has resulted in a more detailed look into 70s rock (southern, progressive, etc). I've started on greatest hits compilations which, if I like what I hear, results in working through the back catalogue. Ignoring Floyd (I've already bought Atom Heart Mother - Wish You Were Here) and Lynyrd Skynyrd, I have compilations of Fleetwood Mac, The Band, Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Bad Company, Free, Foreigner, Queen and the Rolling Stones, among others. Still on my list is Pilot, Boston, John Miles, Steppenwolf, Eagles and possibly Genesis.

Am I missing any greats? And are there albums that are better to go for than generic greatest hits?

Thanks in advance,

T

Replies:
Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:39pm
Jethro Tull

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:41pm
Tim don't forget Little Feat,i would suggest Feats Don't Fail Me Now and Waiting for Columbus,
the latter being a really good live album.Iwould suggest the ones that have Lowell George in the group as I don't think they were as good after he died .

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
Looking at your list I'd add The Who (Who's Next, or Live At Leeds - my favourite live album), Deep Purple (Machine Head or In Rock), Rush (2112 for the music, not the politics), and Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland), David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust). AC/DC - Back in Black. Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet. Cream - Disraeli Gears.

It's Blues but please buy a B.B. King compilation and buy Hard Again by Muddy Waters.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:06pm
+1 On the Hendrix, Rolling Stones,Cream and the BB King .

-------------
STUART
GRAM AMP 2SE

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:23pm
You need to hear Brothers & Sisters by The Allman Brothers Band.
I had the pleasure of seeing them once, a long, long time ago, and they were phenomenal Smile

Then you've got Derek & The Dominoes - the link between The Allman Brothers Band and Derek & The Dominoes is Duane Allman.
Eric Clapton went to an Allman Brothers Band concert with the sole intention of checking out The Allman Brothers Band's first guitarist and founding member, one Duane Allman.

Duane saw EC sat in the front row and freaked out.

EC was bowled over with what he heard and invited Duane to play on the sessions for the Derek & The Dominoes album being worked on, and the rest is history.

Duane plays the slide guitar on Layla - the high harmony part and solo.
Duane played on quite a bit of the album too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layla_and_Other_Assorted_Love_Songs - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layla_and_Other_Assorted_Love_Songs

Duane was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident shortly before Brothers & Sisters was recorded.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:35pm
Thanks guys. I couldn't remember the full list but I also bought the Experience Hendrix compilation (just wish it sounded less "aged") and Deep Purple - The Platinum Collection. I shall look into those albums suggested, thanks.

I listen to everything so no worries there. I bought B.B. King - His Definitive Hits too and want to look more into blues but definitely need pointers with that one. My only problems with B.B. is that: 1. (by his own admission) his blues is often more commercial/pop-y and 2. while it's good, his live versions are always better! I've never been a concert person but every one of his performances I've watched on YouTube are sublime. I have a Stevie Wonder concert bluray where B.B. joins in though... But yes, all genres please!

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:40pm
I just remembered I've got the Marshall Tucker Band anthology on it's way too.

I've been on a bit of a music shopping spree...

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:51pm
I briefly toyed with the concept of the Malcolm Tucker Band then...

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:38am
A few more heavier ones.
UFO - Lights Out & Obsession.
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation.
Rush - Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres (Jon mentioned 2112). Also recommend the later
Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage.
Hawkwind, Supertramp, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Scorpions etc.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: Diamondmask
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 7:56pm
I recommend trying some new classic rock bands, Rival Sons and The Temperance Movement are both excellent, in my humble opinion.
Dave

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:53pm
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! My education would be going nowhere if it wasn't for you all!

Originally posted by Diamondmask Diamondmask wrote:

I recommend trying some new classic rock bands, Rival Sons and The Temperance Movement are both excellent, in my humble opinion.
Dave

Thanks Dave, you make a good point. Just to avoid any confusion, the names I listed were ones I already had. New bands are especially welcome as I'm sure there are many others worth my time. e.g. I don't think I've ever heard anything by Creedence before...

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

....I don't think I've ever heard anything by Creedence before...
....now you've Heard It Through The Grapevine Wink ..... but make sure it's the live version

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Nice one!

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 8:55am
Hi guys,

I've been out of it recently as too much has been going on, hence I've not been here much. I've not even been enjoying music either due to being overly stressed (long story) but I'm trying to change that by getting some more albums as I desperately need to unwind and relax. While I still want more suggestions for compilations or specific albums (whichever is best), I want to talk about one of my favourite recent purchases briefly.

EC... I bought the Complete Clapton 2-disc and sadly wasn't bowled over by it, mainly due to too much 80s stuff (IMO). Overall a bit meh but the other stuff is good (solo and band). I find this true in general for 80s rock as I find it sounds too produced/polished, although some (e.g. Foreigner) sound great and meaty. Back on topic, I got his Unplugged album at the same time and cannot stop listening to it!! I hadn't heard most of the songs before but love every one! I can't remember the last time it happened (maybe in the early Muse days?) but I have listened to it often over the past few weeks and just love it. I'm now hunting for the DVD as well...

This brings me to a dilema: Did his blues stuff (Alberta, Before You Accuse Me, etc) come during his solo career or before? As his hits compilation let me down, what EC albums do I need to buy? They are hard to find on YouTube (my usual album sampling option) so I think I need to bite the bullet and buy. And in general, would most of the bands we've been discussing be best just for their 70s material?

Cheers guys.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 10:23am
With Clapton I'd suggest starting with The Yardbirds and then working your way through to Jonh Mayall's Bluesbreakers (The Beano Album), Cream, Derek & The Dominos, and finally through to his solo work.
The blues inspired EC to pick up the guitar, and it's in his singing and playing right from the beginning.

The first CD of the Complete Clapton set stars off with Cream and takes you through to the 70s, and looking at the song listing it's the disc I'd be playing most.
There's some great stuff on it.

The 80s stuff is when Phil Collins got involved (both playing drums and producing), and a lot of the drum sounds used were horrible.
It was also when Phil Collins lost any creativity he had with his drumming, which is also a part of the problem.

The two songs you mentioned (Alberta & Before You Accuse Me) are covers that he's done live for years.
I don't think he has ever done a studio version of either.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 11:37am
Can I recommend Journeyman by Clapton a very good album and a mixture of rock and blues.
It also has the track Before You Accuse me on it and I think it is a studio recording but I cant remember 100%.Phil Collins only appears on one track Bad Love.

-------------
STUART
GRAM AMP 2SE

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Can I recommend Journeyman by Clapton a very good album and a mixture of rock and blues.
It also has the track Before You Accuse me on it and I think it is a studio recording but I cant remember 100%.Phil Collins only appears on one track Bad Love.

It's been a long time since I played Journeyman, and I'd forgotten that "Before You Accuse Me" is on it.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:10pm
Thanks.

Ok, so I need to prepare myself for more albums than I was expecting then...

Chris - The first disc is my favourite from that compilation too. Most 80s rock sounds generic/cheesy to me. My favourites from that decade are the ones that embrace the sound and make it epic (e.g. Huey Lewis - Power of Love) or just refuse to sound timeless (e.g. Foreigner). Anyhoo, I shall make a note to trawl through the (complete) EC back catalogue.

According to this album %20 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00002DFPT/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_7?colid=VFFJAF8O6FOZ&coliid=IAIQ282SUBUL7 , there may be a studio version in existence...

LOINER - It may be a while before I've made it to there but I will add it to my (long) list, thanks.

Getting there, one artist at a time...

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm
I'm just sampling some Yardbirds albums from YouTube... At what point in his career (solo or in bands) did EC start singing? As much as I love the guitar, I love hearing HIM sing the blues. 

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 6:07pm
Eric started regularly singing with Cream.
Eric joined Bonnie & Delaney following Cream, and he credits Delaney Bramlett as having taught him everthing he know's about singing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaney_%26_Bonnie

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Looking at your list I'd add The Who (Who's Next, or Live At Leeds - my favourite live album), Deep Purple (Machine Head or In Rock), Rush (2112 for the music, not the politics), and Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland), David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust). AC/DC - Back in Black. Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet. Cream - Disraeli Gears.

It's Blues but please buy a B.B. King compilation and buy Hard Again by Muddy Waters.

There have been many suggestions in this thread but I'm slowly making my way through samples to decide whether to buy or not. In relation to Muddy Waters' Hard Again, FANTASTIC! That is the sort of blues I've been trying to find. One of many added to my Amazon shopping list. Cheers Jon.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Eric started regularly singing with Cream.
Eric joined Bonnie & Delaney following Cream, and he credits Delaney Bramlett as having taught him everthing he know's about singing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaney_%26_Bonnie

Thanks Chris, the wiki background helps a lot!

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:51pm
Hard Again - it's thanks enough that you've enjoyed it as much as I do. John Lee Hooker and Howling Wolf are two more bluesmen I love to hear, Taj Mahal is more blues rock but he has a great voice.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:09pm
Excellent album!

Would you recommend specific albums from those others or compilations?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm
Glad to see you investigating the Blues Tim. Try Natch'l Blues by Taj Mahal - it's in my desert Island all time top 20

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:02pm
I've always wanted to explore the blues but never known where to start.

I look forward to listening to it properly.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 10:21pm
I agree with Andrew's Taj Mahal album choice.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:48am
Thanks Jon. I've added it to my shopping list so I should get a proper listen soon.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:29pm
I can't take the credit on that one!

John Lee Hooker's Tantalising with the Blues is a good starter and I have a copy of his Chess Masters LP where his foot takes the place of the drummer. Great voice.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 9:12am
Cheers Jon. I can't find Chess Masters on CD but I'll keep looking...

Yesterday's aquisitions (more in the post):

Eric Clapton - Blues (compilation)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced...
Muddy Waters - Hard Again
Chicago - Hits
Nirvana - Best of

The EC CD is the only one I've heard all the way through (in the van) and it's great to hear EC's blues. The studio version of Alberta is especially outstanding, dare I say better than the one on Unplugged? That one is more lively with the full band but his voice is even more emotional/bluesy in the studio version.

Lynyrd Skynyrd were already in my top 3 discoveries of the 70s from their compilation but they keep getting better! Until this project I only knew Sweet Home Alabama and it never inspired me to find out more but after hearing just the compilation, that is almost one of their worst (most boring) songs. All there other pre-crash albums are in the post so I foresee the "repeat album" option being worn out pretty. It will be an absolute pleasure when I make myself a 'best of' compilation of them!

Chicago are sadly not exciting enough for me. Apart from their already famous ones, 25 or 6 to 4 is my favourite.

Apart from Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come As You Are, I don't know Nirvana so we'll see how that one pans out.

Muddy Waters... I may have to wait until home for that one as the YouTube samples I listened to sound epic!

Stay tuned for more journey updates as I work my way through your suggestions...

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:52pm
Not sure if this is all classic rock but there is this offer.

http://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/2-For-20-Offer/?utm_campaign=August+Mailer&utm_content=UMGUK10009-420662&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=TheSoundofVinyl010915 - http://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/2-For-20-Offer/?utm_campaign=August+Mailer&utm_content=UMGUK10009-420662&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=TheSoundofVinyl010915

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:25pm
Sadly I have no vinyl capabilities but maybe this will benefit someone else?

Posted By: Jimbob
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:28am
Just thought I should jump in and suggest some early Carlos Santana, Blind Faith ( their one and only album ) Van Der graph Generator, The Guess Who, Gov'nt Mule even Elton Johns Madman across the Water, Frank Zappa, King Crimson ( 21st Century schizoid man ) there are so many...and I am happy to have many of them....I could list for hours!

Bob

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:33am
Should have include Ginger Baker and Ginger Bakers , Baker Gurvitz Army ( never remember the Gurvitz spelling )...Ginger is one of the best drummers ever!!

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 9:32am
Hi all,
    Today I bought carol King Tapestry, Beatles' Abbey Road and Revolver, Sinatra and Swingin' Brass and John Coltane's Blue Train, all on LP. The local everyman electronics and music retailer was having a sale. Each album a classic, all half price!
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:25pm
That's a result Mick! Happy listening . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 2:53pm
Try and get hold of Carol Kings " Anticipation " album on vinyl, surprisingly mellow !!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 4:02pm
Hi all,

Sadly my new work commitments have prevented me from being as involved in the forum for the past 6 months as I used to (hopefully not for much longer though) but I will continue adding the new suggestions to my sample list. If I ever get time to listen to music that is!

Posted By: nedlington
Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:33am
Hello all, new here but have been reading this thread and wanted to recommend an album or 3. If no-one else has mentioned them then I would heartily recommend Gov't Mule, especially their early stuff and any live\compilations you can get hold of. I have tons of their '94 - '99 bootlegs and they are superb. Their self titled, first release is fantastic, give that a spin and see how it grabs you. The link being that band leader Warren Haynes played in the latter day incarnation of the Allman Brothers Band. Oh and David Coverdale's solo albums (you can now buy his 2 albums on 1 CD). The early-day Whitesnake albums too are very bluesy, but beyond the mid 80's I doubt you would like, that's when he went "all American" and commercial, I personally didn't mind it.

Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:50am
At last another Mule fan .... Dark side of the Mule is another good album, to be honest they have no "bad" albums

Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:13am
I'm not overly impressed with their studio albums lately, think Haynes voice is nowhere as good as it used to be, they need a vocalist really...sorry. Anything after Deja Voodoo I think is sub-par. Their bread and butter is live stuff though. Do you own any bootlegs Jimbob ?

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:08pm
BTW welcome to the forum Neil! Nice to have someone dive straight into a music thread, 'cos after all it's what hifi is (or should be) all about! Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:35am
Sadly no bootleg Mule, but have 10 albums.
I see you are a Bolton lad, try the Alma on Bradshawgate for contemporary live music from a great sound system.
what other bands float the boat then?

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:43am
try Frank Zappa's Jazz from Hell, a great talent sadly missed !

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 7:51am
Aye I know the Alma well, been going in on and off since I was 17, always a good stop off after getting off train, while waiting for your taxi home !! There were a couple more but sadly they have both closed down now. The Railway at Turton\Bradshaw, opposite the train station and the Moses Gate, been a great venue for tribute acts for years but they have now closed down too, real shame.
We'll have to sort you out with some bootlegs then, I have possibly hundreds of them, mainly digital nowadays but I have some CD's too. My dream is to see Mule at the Beacon in NYC on NYE, they've been playing it for years.
Other bands, well mainly blues these days, Dan Patlansky, King King, Ben Poole, of course Bonamassa, Jeff Healey, Eric Steckel, Jared James Nichols but I started by nicking my brothers vinyl collection in the late 70's, the likes of Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Heart, Free, Magnum, Rainbow the mighty Whitesnake as mentioned then onto Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Candelbox, Stone Temple Pilots then I think the late 90's and early 2000's went a bit flat, well a lot flat and there were lots of weird things like Coverdale\Page, It's only really from 2005 onwards that things have picked up again, well especially in Blues. I'll pm you a couple of excellent websites if you are interested, not sure if I can put them on here. But the amount of so-called old bands that are making albums is unreal, it's brilliant, Magnum, Europe, etc and the amount of new bands coming through is amazing, good for the genre. What about yourself Jimbob ?

Thanks for the warm welcome btw !!

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:43am
Me thinks you should listen to King Crimsons first album, with Greg Lake and Robert Fripp..In the Court of the Crimson King. An Amazing album considering its release date...still one of my "go listen to" records.
My listening selection is a little eclectic to say the least, as I was lucky enough to see some of the best bands ever over the 60's-now, including some of the now dead GREATS.
Your bootleg Mule sounds good to me, and lucky enough my son has the Alma, so swapping digital would not be a problem.I will run through some of the Bands I have when I have more time, which will include The Band,The Grateful Dead ,The Doobie Brothers, Frank Zappa, The Guess Who etc etc, all on digital, although I have a fair selection of vinyl.
Cheers!!!!!!!! 

Date Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:45am
I'm sure I've heard that album, I definitely don't own it though. Doesn't it contain 20th Century Schizoid Man ? The Mule do a cracking cover of that, I will see if I can dig it out. Don't know if you are aware but you can purchase all the gigs Mule do from their website, actually a external one but links on theirs. Certainly from about 2010 onwards but I'm sure they are gradually adding older ones as they go, google Muletracks.
I was only born in '71 so wasn't old enough to see the "great" bands such as Zeppelin, Free, etc but I remember my Mum saying Whitesnake played a small club in Bolton and no-one of course knew whop they were and didn't pay much attention. I was aghast that nobody really listened to them but that was the day and age wasn't it, bands were accessible, unknown and friendly, not like today....totally inaccessible although they have you believe they are more accessible than ever.
Looking at the artists you've reamed off there you should join a few of the forums I was on, Deadheads, The Guess Who, etc, you'd lap[ it up, that's all they talk about. Not really being a fan of any of them I just lurked as they call it.

Date Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:31am
Yes, Thats the one, and The Mules version is a cracker.
Have you got the Bonamassa / Beth Hart " Don't Explain ? a cracker of an album or any Jeff or Tim Buckley ?
As for seeing greats I hold my hand up and say Pink Floyd for 10 shillings ( 50p ) in new monies, Rory Gallagher and many more for the same price, haha.
Queen once was the backing band for Mott the Hoople, after Queen had done there session, which was the Sheer Heart Attack album, Mott came on and were almost Boo'd off in  favour of Queen...it was a great night to listen to a up and coming band , Queens energy was lighting....those were the days when you could lean up against the stage and listen!!! 

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:14am
Mule do a load of cracking covers, there's a few albums I would recommend, the deepest end, the one that includes the DVD, superb concert and a cracking version of Sweet Leaf and War Pigs on there, also love the Eagles cover too. There's also another one of mainly covers but I forget it's name. I'll have a look on amazon and let you know. The one I would seriously suggest you get is Live: With a Little Help from our friends, it's an outstanding 4 CD package but very hard to get hold of as it's a collectors edition. I got mine from America, it's one of the best albums I have ever heard, seriously.
I have both the Bonamassa\Hart albums, think they are brilliant, her voice is great. I've never listened to any Jeff or Tim Buckley tbh, I'll have a delve into their stuff at some point.

With regards to gigs, my brother took me to see Heart in the 80's at Birmingham I only started going in the early to mid 90's so not as classic as yours !! I actually forgot but I'm off to see King King, with Dan Patlansky supporting, this Thursday. I knew it was in May but thought it was towards the end. Got mixed up with the Heart gig which is 30th June.

As soon as I get my act together I'll sort some Mule gigs out for you and pass them on to your son. Have you had a look at that website I mentioned ?

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:41am
Cheers, glad you mentioned King King , The Nimmo bros are superb. I dug out there albums and had a listen( only have the first two)
Just as a matter of interest got any Ginger Baker? Not exactly blues but an awesome drummer.

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:46am
Nope sorry, only any stuff he did with Traffic, none of his solo stuff although I heard some Air Force One and thought it was OK and obvs there's Cream but apart from that no, sorry. Are you catching King King on this latest tour ? I wanted to see Steve Nimmo too but couldn't sort. Also gutted that I missed Chris Cornell's 2nd acoustic\solo tour...AGAIN, didn't even know he was doing another and by time I found out it was already sold out !!

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 12:09am
Sadly no, 
My family commitments make it difficult to get to gigs at the moment.I will give the music some thought and maybe get a stick full of some music that you may or may not have considered before...definitely not all blues, but some may tickle your fancy.
I will let you know when it could be available at the Alma...in next 2-3 weeks at most.
Some of it will be because it sounds great ( well produced ) and some because I am just crazy.

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:14am
Appreciate any new music so thanks for that, look forward to discovering new stuff. Will drop those Mule gigs onto a USB stick so we can just swap. Have you heard any Dan Patlansky ? Or any of the others I mentioned ? Eric Steckel, Ben Poole, Jared James Nichol ? Of course I listen to other music, it's just mainly blues though these days. There's the likes of Tax The Heat, Supersonic Blues Machine (rock rather than blues), Monster Truck, Inglorious, all excellent new bands\music.

Just let me know when it's ready for collection and I'll pop in and make the switch, thanks for that. I agree, well produced music is superb regardless of genre.

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:37pm
Hello Neil, I've been reading your recent postings with interest but as I am overseas with work for a couple of weeks, I hadn't had time to respond until now. I've been 'into' Gov't mule since 'Dose' which I think is a great album, then 'The Deep End' parts 1& 2 all on CD. In the last few years I've also acquired a few of their albums as LPs but it's a band I've yet to catch live. 

By the way, I will also be at the same Heart gig on the 30th June - a fan since first hearing 'Magic Man', 'Crazy On You', 'Barracuda' etc in the late '70s & buying all their LPs since then. The poppy 80's hits 'These Dreams' &  'What About Love' are very good songs even though I consider much of that decade 'the dark ages' for rock music.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 6:26am
Another Mule fan...this gets better all the time...Hi !!....nice to see you.
Neil about Dan Patlansky, Eric Steckle, Ben Poole, Jared James Nichol, I have listened to Dan Patlansky but have none of his music, the others are new to me.....Do you have the Mule Live in Denver, if not I will chuck that on the stick.
As for the Mule site, yes have gone through all the pages. Oh on the Buckley Music I will chuck some of that on and a Madeleine Peyroux album , I will be chucking on a wide genre ...most of which you may chuck out...maybe not.

Date Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:27am
Check your private messages Neil !

Posted By: TheIncredibleHoke
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

By the way, I will also be at the same Heart gig on the 30th June - a fan since first hearing 'Magic Man', 'Crazy On You', 'Barracuda' etc in the late '70s & buying all their LPs since then. The poppy 80's hits 'These Dreams' &  'What About Love' are very good songs even though I consider much of that decade 'the dark ages' for rock music.

I've been trying to limit my classic rock LP buying over the last few years, BUT I've recently started buying 45 singles of classic rock hits I loved as a kid. A good copy of Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" LP is usually pretty pricey, but I've grabbed 45s of "Magic Man," "Crazy on You," "Kick it Out," and "Barracuda." AWESOME! You can't go far from the turntable with these, but at less than $2 each they are a lot of fun. 

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:45pm
I've started playing early Genesis albums.
I've ignored them for far too long, and it's refreshing to encounter old friends not seen or heard of for many a long year.

I'd forgotten just how good these albums are, and now they're on the play a lot more regularly list.

So far ....

and now ....

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 7:34am
I agree Chris. I'm not that familiar with Trespass, but Nursery Cryme is currently getting a lot more plays than it ever has. I like all their output up to and including Selling England.

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 10:33am
I must give these a spin again soon - still have the LPs I bought 35 odd years ago.
Trespass was a big favourite.
Genesis seemed to grow in confidence on Foxtrot's Supper's Ready.

-------------

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:28pm

Someday they won't let you, now you must agree
The times they are a-telling, and the changing isn't free
You've read it in the tea leaves, and the tracks are on tv
Beware the savage jaw
Of 1984

They'll split your pretty cranium, and fill it full of air
And tell that you're eighty, but brother, you won't care
You'll be shooting up on anything, tomorrow's never there
Beware the savage jaw
Of 1984

Come see, come see, remember me?
We played out an all-night movie role
You said it would last, but I guess we enrolled
In 1984 (who could ask for more?)
1984 (who could ask for more?)
(More)

I'm looking for a vehicle, I'm looking for a ride
I'm looking for a party, I'm looking for a side
I'm looking for the treason that I knew in '65
Beware the savage jaw
Of 1984

Come see, come see, remember me?
We played out an all-night movie role
You said it would last, but I guess we enrolled
In 1984 (who could ask for more?)
1984 (who could ask for more?)
(More)

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:55am
Possibly fearing it would go straight over the heads of some (latter) Genesis fans, Feeding the Fire was left off Invisible Touch, but released as B side on the Land of Confusion single. Only managed to find two "tubes" and both are poor sound, this being the best of the two...

I think it fitting for our "get" society.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
I enjoyed that track, thanks for sharing Graham! My journey hasn't taken me into the realms of Genesis yet. Embarrassed But which era is the best, Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins? And did the sound change drastically? I only know a few from the Collins era.

Tim

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
Hi Tim,
Regarding the 'best' Genesis era, it's probably down to personal preference, but If you're keen
on the 80's albums you might be in for a little shock listening to the Gabriel era LPs. They are
very different & can take a few listens to 'get into'.
'Selling England by the pound' (how prescient!) from 1973 is often considered their best Gabriel
album & is a delight. 
'Trick of the Tail' & 'Wind & Wuthering' are the the first albums without Gabriel & are excellent
& not too dissimilar to previous albums. 
'And Then There Were Three' is much more 'commercial' but has some strong songs.
Personally, from 'Duke' onwards they lost it.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Personally, from 'Duke' onwards they lost it.

Agreed.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:15pm
I agree too but others may flay me for adding that IMO The Lamb Lies Down belongs in the latter category - overblown & pompous (excepting Carpet Crawlers & Counting Out Time which are wonderful). 

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:21pm

I agree too but others may flay me for adding that IMO The Lamb Lies Down belongs in the latter category - overblown & pompous (excepting Carpet Crawlers & Counting Out Time which are wonderful). 

You forgot to include The Lamia Andrew!! Wink

-------------
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Also, on a sidenote IMO Counting Out Time sounds much more like later pop era Genesis than anything else in the PG years. Even has Phil singing :)

-------------
Johan

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:49pm
I think to understand "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" one needs to have heard "From Genesis to Revelation". After that most will probably agree even more with Andrew Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

I enjoyed that track, thanks for sharing Graham! My journey hasn't taken me into the realms of Genesis yet. Embarrassed But which era is the best, Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins? And did the sound change drastically? I only know a few from the Collins era.

Tim

I have now time to answer. I agreed with Andrew on where the trail went cold. Prior to that virtually all the albums had the same structure. Gabriel and Collins voices were so interchangeable that if you didn't know Gabriel had left in 1975, you could be forgiven.

The period from March 1969 to December 1976 saw the following releases:

From Genesis to Revelation (before Collins)
Trespass (before Collins)
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of the Tail (after Gabriel)
Wind & Wuthering (after Gabriel)

From Genesis to Revelation produced by Jonathan King was mainly tripe of a religious nature. The first really good album being Trespass featuring the guitar work of Anthony Phillips, and when you could hear it (the mix is quite a dark one) it was very involving. It is one of my favourite albums.

The basic format was then set for the rest of the albums which always featured at least one "comedy" track. Nursery Cryme has two: The Return of the Giant Hogweed and Harold the Barrel; Foxtrot - Get em Out By Friday; Selling England by the Pound - The Battle of Epping Forest; The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Counting Out Time (with biblical references...); A Trick of the Tail - Robbery Assault and Battery; Wind & Wuthering - All In A Mouses Night (which is where it started going downhill).

In fact I only include Wind & Wuthering because of the last four tracks and Your Own Special Way on t'other side.

Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and A Trick of the Tail follow very similar formats, and if you can get into any one of them, you'll get into the others.

If anything the Nursery Cryme track Musical Box sounds as if it's the product of sexual frustration of a public school and Nanny nature. The album goes on to take the urine out of ageing church goers, and then tells the tale of how the giant hogweed was discovered and its escape to Streatham threatening the human race. Side two sees Horold the Barrel cut off his toes and serve them up for tea (hasn't a leg to stand on...). Prior to that there is Seven Stones which states that the changes of no consequence will pick up the reigns from nowhere, which sent an acid tripping pal round the proverbial bend! The sexual frustration thing continues in the closing track The Fountain of Salmacis. Played on a good system it sounds fantastic, and I do like this album.

Foxtrot is a selection of concepts one side and back to the religious thing for Supper's Ready lasting most of side two. It is bloody obvious it comes straight out of the bible (plus some history) - a lot of it being condensed from the book of Revelation, like: There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice, "This is the supper of the mighty one", Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Has returned to lead ... (see Revelation 19:17). Even so, and unless you've played it to death like I have, it is a captivating album.

Trick of the Tail best tracks IMO are Mad Man Moon and Los Endos, and off Selling England by the Pound, The Cinema Show - especially the rip off of a few notes from the Cadbury Milk Tray ad of that time . . . or was it Gillette? Never mind.

Those are the best IMO.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is another trip into bible land by Gabriel with characters John and Rael with the dead giveaway lyric "is Rael" etc etc etc. Counting Out Time: the book of Numbers etc etc etc . . . but rude!

I was given a couple of latter albums: Invisible Touch and Three Sides Live, and had bought the 12" single of Land of Confusion (with Feeding the Fire as B-side). Don't like Invisible Touch really, whereas Three Sides Live is a great "sampler" of their developing format (backwards . . .). The 12" single features Land of Confusion twice - one a disco version - and its best track IMO: Feeding the Fire.

I hope this gives an insight to those considering adding Genesis albums to their collections.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
Good descriptions. 'All in a Mouses Night' is a bit naff!

'We Can't Dance' has its moments & is an improvement on 'Invisible Touch'.

Their last studio album, 'Calling All Stations' is a big disappointment & they sound like they
are going through the motions. Singer Ray Wilson has a good voice but alters the band's character noticeably.
I saw them on the tour for this album & they were excellent, but they just seemed to fade away
afterwards.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm
I saw Genesis on the Foxtrot & Selling England tours & for me those remain as my highlight albums - the climax of Suppers Ready never failing to raise the hairs on my neck as I recall a satanic flying Gabriel (there's a bit of comedy in that track too of course). Selling England is the album I have re-purchased the most times over the intervening years out of several thousand. 

The last time I watched Genesis was at Knebworth on the 'Then There Were 3' tour and I almost wished I hadn't (although, growing up just a few miles away, I was able to see Zeppelin, Floyd, Genesis, The Stones, Santana, Skynyrd & many more of the 'greats' over the years). 

Some time after I watched Tom Petty in 2008, pleased that I had at last seen him I was looking through my old Knebworth '78 programme & realised that he had been on that bill all along. All I remember is Genesis (& Devo Shocked) & another inebriated guy slipping down into the tented cess pit whilst we were all ejecting excess liquids balanced on extremely wet/slimy scaffold boards. He went right under !!!).

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:44pm

All I remember is Genesis (& Devo Shocked) & another inebriated guy slipping down into the tented cess pit whilst we were all ejecting excess liquids balanced on extremely wet/slimy scaffold boards. He went right under !!!).

I've seen people getting well p*ssed at concerts but..

-------------
Johan

Posted By: itsmanhattan
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 12:17am
While on the topic, Ray Davies has always resonated with me from The Kinks "20th Century Man" - Not essentially Classic Rock, but you wouldn't have Classic Rock w/o the Kinks IMHO.

"I was born in a welfare state
Ruled by bureaucracy
Controlled by civil servants
And people dressed in grey
Got no privacy, got no liberty
Cos the twentieth century people
Took it all away from me."

Also a little softer than Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"!

-------------
Manhattan

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
'War Pigs' - now there's a song.

Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds...

Never been more apposite.

-------------

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:57pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM" rel="nofollow - Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM

"They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot"

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
Prophetic . . .

Dead

-------------

Posted By: Phonoromeo
Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:32pm
It is a shame Anthony Philips suffered so badly with stage fright. He really was a fine guitarist as his solo outings confirm. However Steve Hackett did a great job in replacing him & was capable of making great guitar sounds in keeping with the era.

Posted By: nikydr
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 4:23pm
A tribute to Genesis:
https://youtu.be/-V7Dqf-FQL4" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/-V7Dqf-FQL4

-------------
niky

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:14pm
Two of my favorite hard rock/heavy rock albums from the 70s:

Blue Oyster Cult - http://https://www.discogs.com/Blue-Öyster-Cult-Secret-Treaties/master/68027" rel="nofollow - Secret Treaties  

Captain Beyond - http://https://www.discogs.com/Captain-Beyond-Captain-Beyond/master/44347" rel="nofollow - Self Titled

Another one people don't talk about too often is the http://https://www.discogs.com/Armageddon-Armageddon/master/23620" rel="nofollow - Self-Titled album from Armageddon. This was a rock band Keith Relf fronted just before he passed. 

Posted By: peterb
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:21pm
Has anybody listened to Keef Hartley, 'Halfbreed'? I bought their LP after hearing them at Uni as a support band that out shone the headliners! (who I don't remember!) A recording of its time.
Bringing it up to date, Joe Bonamasa, 'British Blue Explosion Live', he has the guitar skill to bring back the 'hairs on the back of your neck' effect of EC and so many others. The man has too much talent and can play any style, but he genuinely loves 60's British blues and it comes out in his playing. Had the pleasure to hear him this year in Plymouth, pity the 'hall' had to much reverb!

-------------
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2

Posted By: lwdykes
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 1:39am
Not sure what all has been mentioned so far. Love the Captain Beyond suggestion someone else made (we wore that one out!).
Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East
Jimi Hendrix: Axis Bold as Love
Crosby, Still & Nash debut & Deja Vu (with Young)
Neil Young Live at Massey
The Kinks
King Crimson Court of the Crimson King
You already mentioned Fleetwood Mac. Do you have the early Peter Green stuff?
Supertramp: Crime of the Century & Breakfast in America
...and so many more...........

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 1:41am
Yes - Fragile
The Byrds
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Ten Years After Live

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Two of my favorite hard rock/heavy rock albums from the 70s:

Blue Oyster Cult - http://https://www.discogs.com/Blue-Öyster-Cult-Secret-Treaties/master/68027 - Secret Treaties  

Captain Beyond - http://https://www.discogs.com/Captain-Beyond-Captain-Beyond/master/44347 - Self Titled

Another one people don't talk about too often is the http://https://www.discogs.com/Armageddon-Armageddon/master/23620 - Self-Titled album from Armageddon. This was a rock band Keith Relf fronted just before he passed. 

Love both of these albums!
Recently picked up a nice vinyl copy of Secret Treaties.
And I have very fond memories of Captain Beyond! We used to cut class my senior year in HS and wore that one out at my buddy's house! I think the band was Rod Evans on vocals (from original Deep Purple), 2 of the Iron Butterfly guys, and Johnny Winter's drummer. Several months ago I found a good vinyl copy with original halographic cover at a small local vinyl shop.

Posted By: WigglyWoo
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:30pm
I haven't scanned the full email thread so apologies if I'm repeating an earlier suggestion, but how about a bit of Kraut Rock and the 1973 classic from Faust (Faust IV)?

Definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it before... personal favourites: 'It's a bit of a pain' and 'Lauft...Heisst Das Es Lauft Oder Es Kommt Bald..Lauft'

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:02pm
Picked up the 2010 remaster of this one recently and enjoying it very much. Great album! especially the title song.

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by lwdykes lwdykes wrote:

Picked up the 2010 remaster of this one recently and enjoying it very much. Great album! especially the title song.

I just happened to listen to that yesterday. Great record. Another to consider apart from "Are you Experienced" is "Valleys of Neptune":

https://www.jimihendrix.com/music/valleys-neptune/

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:22pm
Great choice Keith.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:32am
Hi Tim
IF you can get a copy
Foreigner
with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. It's a box set with 2 vinyl LPs, DVD,CD.
NOT Foreigner just as a band but as the name suggest  with orchestra and chorus
it's well worth getting. I was Amazed how good it is, But I am a fan of theirs (the recording is ex)

Jonathan

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: rockyboris
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:09am
A little midwest Americana, Ann Arbor's own Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "Live Bullet". 2 record set that rocks. Listened to it last night with the Accession and I felt I was at the concert.

The album is well produced and the sound took me back to a time and place I'll never forget. just a great album.

mike

-------------
GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by rockyboris rockyboris wrote:

A little midwest Americana, Ann Arbor's own Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "Live Bullet". 2 record set that rocks. Listened to it last night with the Accession and I felt I was at the concert.

The album is well produced and the sound took me back to a time and place I'll never forget. just a great album.

mike

I must admit that I haven't listened to Bob Seger since the 70's but you have motivated me to buy one of his albums

Thanks!

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

I haven't scanned the full email thread so apologies if I'm repeating an earlier suggestion, but how about a bit of Kraut Rock and the 1973 classic from Faust (Faust IV)?

Definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it before... personal favourites: 'It's a bit of a pain' and 'Lauft...Heisst Das Es Lauft Oder Es Kommt Bald..Lauft'

Maybe "Krautrock" (also a track on Faust IV - albeit named with deliberate Teutonic sarcasm following the late great Ian MacDonald's unfortunate coinage in the pages of the NME) deserves its own thread? Or perhaps I'm alone in finding German "prog" music from (say) 1968-1975 much more interesting than its UK or US counterparts/contemporaries? Lauft... is wonderful - as is virtually everything from the first four Faust albums.

I'd strongly recommend Julian Cope's (ironically titled!) Krautrocksampler - see http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form - http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form  - as a great starting point for info and recommendations on this era.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Maybe "Krautrock" (also a track on Faust IV - albeit named with deliberate Teutonic sarcasm following the late great Ian MacDonald's unfortunate coinage in the pages of the NME) deserves its own thread? Or perhaps I'm alone in finding German "prog" music from (say) 1968-1975 much more interesting than its UK or US counterparts/contemporaries? Lauft... is wonderful - as is virtually everything from the first four Faust albums.

I'd strongly recommend Julian Cope's (ironically titled!) Krautrocksampler - see http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form - http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form  - as a great starting point for info and recommendations on this era.

I won't pretend to be an expert in that stuff but in college I was exposed to a few big names like Can, Neu, Faust, and so on. I do like that stuff. Matter of fact I didn't really circle back around to U.S. and U.K. prog again until much later. 

Cope is an interesting character. His band Teardrop Explodes made some great albums but his own tastes were much more pop-driven than the stuff he tends to champion. 

If you want to hear a really cool proggy jazzy thing that's just as cool as any of the German bands but available in the cheapo used bins look for a copy of Santana's Caravanserai. I'm not joking. That's a monster album that people often overlook. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:57pm
Oops - have just discovered that most of the links on that site don't work - and that the only paperback copy of Krautrocksampler currently for sale in the UK (mine is not for sale, thanks!) is on t'internet for a bonkers £538.62 (plus postage!) Ermm

So - here's a link -   http://https://rapidgator.net/file/f553cc9466ecf0c6f64e2342c3d68c1e/Krautrocksampler_%281994%29_-_Julian_Cope.pdf.html - http://https://rapidgator.net/file/f553cc9466ecf0c6f64e2342c3d68c1e/Krautrocksampler_(1994)_-_Julian_Cope.pdf.html  to the PDF scan I did manage to download. If that doesn't work, I guess interested parties could always PM me and I can email it to them as an attachment. As Mr Cope says he's never going to republish the book, I guess he's not going to lose money over it (plus I buy all his new vinyl when it comes out anyway!) - and I can't believe that any mid-90s paperback can cost more than (say) a new Era Gold V.... Shocked

Posted By: rockyboris
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:59am
ESSENTIAL Classic Rock

Between the Buttons
Exile on Main Street
Through the Past Darkly

Tonight my speakers are smiling and so am I

-------------
GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs

Posted By: Str8Wire
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:16pm
Don’t know if these have been mentioned:

Dire Straits  - (self titled) & Brothers in Arms
The Animals - (The Best of The Animals) will give you the best sampling
Savoy Brown - Hell Bound Train
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
To name but a few.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:38pm
I have both Dire Straits albums. have to get them out have not played them in a long time thanks for reminding of them

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: brubacca
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:53pm
Rolling Stones Hot Rocks Album...  Classic Classic rock.

-------------
Regards,
Charlie
Pennsylvania, USA

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:33pm
A pretty good way to spend some time!

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net