FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digitising LPs - a question for Graham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:19am

Gary,

not to put the dampener on your technical enthusiasm at all, but my reference for improved quality of vinyl digitisation is the original recording.

If I play both on my system I can tell how good my rip (and my DAC) are.

I am not sure how one might use spectral analysis for relative SQ analysis.

If I cannot hear an improvement when I play back and compare to the original, then, to all practical purposes there is none.

If it sounds better (than the original) then there is a problem Shocked

Have fun anyway.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:07pm
Seems about time for some further guff in this thread so here are a few more thoughts.

Having taken care of the primary source, we are at the stage of creating an input signal for recording.
The objective here being to provide the best possible signal to the ADC.

Most phono preamps are of fixed gain, phono cartridges vary widely in their output level and recordings also vary widely in their average level, so the output from the phono stage will also vary quite a deal from a nominal "line level" as might be required by the input to an ADC.
Certainly IME the output from the cartridges I most commonly use, when passed through a Reflex, provide an output that is "too hot" for direct input to my PC interface/ADC resulting in "clipping" of the recorded signal.

I have posted links in another thread regarding optimal input levels but will repeat one of them here http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.php well worth the time to read and digest.

It would seem to me that the optimal, least harm, approach here, is to reduce the signal level in the analogue domain prior to input to the ADC at a level optimal for it and not to use any level control provided in software for that interface, but to leave it set to full range.

I am aware of some recording interfaces having their own phono preamp and onboard input level control attenuator, these would provide what is required, analogue attenuation at input.
My own and many others do not have such control.

Essentially then, this requires the ability to attenuate the signal between the phono pre and the ADC input, for many perhaps the simplest method will be to take the signal from a preamp output and control that with the preamp volume control.

In my own system I have yet to hear an active preamp that does not take something away from the signal.
That includes a preamp I obtained many years ago from a recording studio and a couple of far from inexpensive preamps I have trialled at one time or another, the difference being both audible and detrimental in all cases.
I am therefore reluctant to use that method.

Inline attenuators of the fixed variety will also inflict some detriment to the signal, but probably not as great as most active preamps.
Their greatest advantage after ease of use being their relatively low cost. They do not offer much in way of flexibility however.
If the amount of attenuation were to be fixed, then a high quality solution might be DIY assembled using high quality resistors such as Vishay Z-foils.

The one device I have successfully inserted into my system between source and amp with no apparent detriment to the sound, has been the Burson buffer I purchased some years ago to aid the output of my then DAC.
That now being surplus to requirements I have fitted a 100K stepped attenuator between its inputs and the active circuitry and am hoping this will provide both the transparency I want and the flexible attenuation I need for this application.  
With very low output Z and 100K input it offers the flexibility to be placed either between Reflex and ADC or, with suitable load adjusting plugs in parallel, between turntable and phono stage.
A DIY TVC might be another viable option, as might be an LDR type device, I have not investigated the possible drawbacks to these approaches, but suspect that impedance matching might be an issue.

Basically I prefer the attenuator -> buffer arrangement however it might be achieved, this does provide the best impedance matching between devices.

I have long been interested in the passive, buffered linestage in the following article - http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/54/index.html - unfortunately a number of the components are now no longer available and I have not taken the time to pursue suitable alternatives, but I have  seriously considered that this might be a solution to the preamp issues I have noted above.

In all of this, I am trying to keep the focus at the enthusiast level of equipment and options and not considering more professional grade equipment that might be beyond the budget of many (me included), particularly for the occasional project.

Edited for inclusion of additional content and to correct some spelling.

Edited by tg - 03 May 2012 at 7:44am
zwazoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:33pm

tg,

I agree, based on my experience digitizing audio over the past 10 years or so, obtaining an acceptable input signal for recording is the greatest challenge. I have worked with tapes, cassette and reel to reel; and vinyl using various ADCs with a constant issue related to input signal level and noise.

My experience has convinced me, it is an impedance mismatch issue between our phono preamp outputs and whatever type of ADC we connect with. Your point about the buffer is a good approach to try. It could provide the impedance match or correction allowing signal from your phono to fit, so to speak, nicely into the window provided by your ADC, therefore cleanly digitizing the signal maintaining minimal loss.

I have been trying to find the matching capability with the output of the phono preamp. What we do, digitizing vinyl, does not generate enough interest in the marketplace for a vendor to spend their resources developing products specifically for our application, especially within your “enthusiast level” focus. Therefore, it is up to us to find the solution and apply it.  Just look at the compromises we make to do this, yes I appreciate the challenge, but I also have years’ worth of vinyl to deal with.  I have modified my phono preamps over the years as my ADCs have changed, but I’ve never felt confident I ‘m getting the best sound.

I have been very interested in Graham’s discussions concerning a phono preamps design and the theory behind it. His insight has helped answer numerous questions I have had over the past years concerning problems with level matching between my phono output and the ADC.

I look forward to discussing this down the road.

Tom

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:57am

Hi Tom, welcome to this forum.

It will be good to have some more contribution on this topic.

enjoy your time here,

Tony G

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 8:49am
Going back to the original question...

Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

In perusing and experimenting with various methods of doing this, I have occasionally come across the idea (which I have not tried) of recording direct without RIAA equalisation and then applying that equalisation in the digital domain.

I would be interested, as I imagine, would be others, in Grahams thoughts on this approach and its merits or failings.

The output of a magnetic cartridge as established already is a rising one where the highest frequency in the accepted audio range - 20Hz to 20kHz has 1,000 times the amplitude of the lowest frequency. Because of the "tuck and nip" of the RIAA recording curve the actual output playing a record will give a range of 100:1, or in decibels: 40dB.

The analogue input to an ADC (analogue to digital converter) chip is 2 volts peak to peak in the case of a Texas Instruments PCM2902. In r.m.s. that is approximately 700mV. It should be similar for most chips as all now seem to work on a 3.3V supply.

700mV r.m.s. is therefore the maximum the ADC input will take before clipping. The input would have to be adjusted down to cater for the dynamic peaks of the record. If reduced by -14dB which seems to be the "pre loudness wars" input level, the input at -14dB is 140mV.

140mV is therefore the input level to the ADC input at 20kHz and therefore the input at 20Hz is 1/100th of 140mV which is 1.4mV. In decibels that is -54dB.

If the dynamic range of the ADC is 16 bits there is 96dB dynamic range. At -54dB there is 42dB left.

In this 42dB has to fit the low frequency (20Hz) dynamic range less the peaks. Beyond that is the noise floor which is different from an analogue noise floor - in digital nothing can exist at or lower than the noise floor. If 42dB is considered sufficient then noise wise the idea seems OK.

However, please do not forget that the distortion increases in proportion with falling digital signal level and may be in the region of 10% on the quietest lowest bass notes, whilst being much more respectable as frequency increases.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
zwazoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:54pm

I have tried an unequalized phono preamp for digitizing vinyl. Adjusting the input levels on my ADC was really a pain. Once I found a good setting, the digitized audio had high frequency distortion. Suspecting an overdrive condition, I reduced the input gain only to find that when the high frequencies were better, but the low frequencies were muddy. After Graham’s explanation it seems maybe the phono preamp was producing a distorted output. The phono preamp manufacturer blamed it on the ADC input circuit being too sensitive. Using a properly equalized phono preamp produces acceptable results. Actually, it was the same device, a switch produced the "flat" circuit vs. the "normal" circuit.

It seems that just as much care must be given to the design of these unequalized preamps to handle what is basically a highly complex signal as is required of equalized preamps. Something about if it’s not broken don’t fix it, or a solution looking for a problem. I do understand the claims that a software program can be consistent and doesn’t drift, etc., but the original method works just fine with properly designed phono preamps. My software screws around with my sound just about enough as it is.

Tom

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 4:50pm
Tom, I don't think it's your phono amp set to flat, but as I explained, the ADC input range is simply insufficient for the 100:1 level difference. If you set it so the highs are OK, then you'll have lows down in the distortion - distortion in the digital domain.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic