FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digitising LPs - a question for Graham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:46pm
Thanks for pointing me back to here Tony. Now to see what can be done without fancy sound card, I just have a Mac mini, or is it a mini Mac!
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 2:53pm

If there is interest, perhaps this thread could move in the direction of some "how to" type tips.

My first in that direction focuses on the source, GIGO is very apt here and the first step to satisfying results is the cleanest possible record that can be made from what is to be recorded.

This applies regardless of whether the record is new or used.

Wash the record, play it a couple of times and check for improvement in SQ, rewash if it is felt that further improvement may be possible (for new or mint condition records NO extraneous noise should be acceptable), play at least twice more.

During replay after cleaning, there will be noted a continuing improving in SQ for the first 3 - 4 plays, this may be, in part, due to the stylus removing "gunk" loosened by the washing, but I feel there is another mechanism in play here and it is referred to in the excellent articles by Rudolf Bruil on his website http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/rc1.html 

Following the cleaning and replay routine, I then apply Last record preservative, which, to my hearing, does "what it says on the tin" - providing a fuller and smoother sound, exactly as one might expect from the stylus pressing against/being moved by, a less yielding surface.

All that and not a computer in sight yet Wink

Who knows, do all that and you might forget the idea of trying to digitise them altogether.

If not, watch for further installments.

Edited by tg - 24 Mar 2012 at 11:16pm
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:09pm
Thanks Tony, very informative.
Any how to on how to wash a record? Assume it is not put it in the bath with my daughter and her bubble bath!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
I agree with Tony that clean records sound better and record better. I had a few LP's cleaned and was persuaded. I bought an Okki Nokki RCM and use their solution (soak for longer on old/dirty records) suck, then distilled water and suck. There are other ways to clean records. There is a Jim Lesurf posting on the S/N improvement if anyone wants to see graphs/dB empirical stuff.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:53pm

Aside from the various RCMs available at prices from a couple of hundred dollars to many thousands of dollars, there are various manual or semi-manual methods of cleaning records.

The method with which I have been happy for several years combines products from 2 different suppliers.

I use the hardware (trough, drying rack & record label clamp) from the Knosti system, which I tried but was not completely happy with, as a post wash rinse bath.  Use distilled or filtered water in the trough and tip it out after 10 - 15 records or after a cleaning session.

The actual cleaning I do using the Disc Dr cleaning solution and brushes, the brushes have replaceable pads and will last a long time, you may prefer a DIY cleaning solution, there are many recipes to be found for that.  

I clean one side, turn over and clean the other side, then rinse and air dry.  

The record is laid on a soft and fully supportive surface such as a clean towel or similar on a table top during the cleaning and held down to the surface by manual pressure on the label area whilst "scrubbing", the majority of the cleaning solution is removed from the surface using the cleaning brush prior to turning over, at which stage the surface will be moist rather than flowing wet.

Occasionally there will be sticky muck on a record that may require solvent removal, isopropyl alcohol (or even methylated spirit) will often loosen these.  The record is then washed with the normal cleaning solution, rinsed and air dried.

Where records have only a paper sleeve, I will put them in a good quality poly sleeve after cleaning, since paper sleeves will abrade and leave mould feeding debris in the grooves.

I keep on hand a pack of new sleeves for such replacements and for replacement of any no longer serviceable poly sleeves from S/H acquisitions.

There have been articles on the net WRT the use of small portable manual steam cleaners for record cleaning, this is not something I have tried, but could be worth investigation with the obvious proviso that this method may entail some risk if insufficient thought were given to the possible effects of over enthusiastic application.  eg HOT steam + vinyl = potential damage.

I also regularly use a carbon fibre brush to remove static and airborne dust from the record surface immediately prior to play, a light touch on the turning record combined with a rolling action of the brush will lift most of this.

For records holding a static charge, I have found the Milty anti-static pistol effective, this is not commonly a problem for me here and is more common in air-conditioned or centrally heated environments I think, decent anti-static sleeves are also a help.

The bath tub idea might be a lot of fun but could introduce some undesirable factors detrimental to  optimal sound quality, aside from hazards to baby, bathwater and the record label. Wink 

Will get round to some of the hardware stuff next.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:48pm
Thanks again for this guidance Tony.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 26 Mar 2012 at 5:49pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 8:27pm
TG,
It seems you use some of the same stuff I do, but you are way more advance then me.
Have you used the spectrum analysis in sound forge?
I want to see if the quality of my vinyl rips have gone up with each new piece of equipment I buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic