FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digitising LPs - a question for Graham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digitising LPs - a question for Graham
    Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 1:26pm

In perusing and experimenting with various methods of doing this, I have occasionally come across the idea (which I have not tried) of recording direct without RIAA equalisation and then applying that equalisation in the digital domain.

I would be interested, as I imagine, would be others, in Grahams thoughts on this approach and its merits or failings.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 7:45pm
You'd need an extra 40dB of dynamic range/headroom because the output of a magnetic cartridge rises with frequency...

...turning this (the actual output from a RIAA record):

...into this:

For those who don't understand it, if you were to play a record with a cartridge having a "flat" response, such as a condenser/ceramic or crystal cartridge (good luck finding a good one these days) you'd have a near "flat" frequency response.

Like an car alternator without a regulator, the faster it turns, the higher the voltage. So the higher the frequency, a magnetic cartridge puts out proportionally more. The range 40dB equates to a ratio of 100:1.

The reason why the "flat" output in graph 1 (which is graph 2 rotated +45 degrees) is so bumpy is because the cutter head is driven by coils (it's a solenoid) so it is highly inductive, and without additional signal conditioning (a bit of low bass boost and treble boost in the cutter head amp) it would simply resemble a hill, like really ancient records do.

The RIAA curve came into being 1953 using "appropriate technology" of the day. They thought a +/-2dB accuracy was good enough - after all, they had tone controls in those days.

Still, 58 years later, nobody has been able to make anything better!

Edit: (Friday 30th) Nostalgia. If you want the sound of a lovely old warm sounding Dansette or you long for the sound of a good-ol ceramic cartridge the phono preamp doesn't need all those "tucks and curves" just a single pole 6dB per octave roll-off Wink

Edited by Graham Slee - 30 Dec 2011 at 7:01am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:45pm
I tried mic preamp and ADC then applied a digital filter based on RIAA with the cutter head bump. Whilst this was only as good as my skills, my addition to the wise words above is that Reflex M followed by ADC sounded much better for less work.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 29 Dec 2011 at 8:46pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:11pm

Hmmmmmmmm, I have been pretty satisfied with the results of feeding the Reflex into an M-audio firewire interface (though not as good as just playing the record) - but being at a loose end for a day or two Wacko I have taken it into my foolish mind to tinker some more.

Source of the question was the Terratec DMX 6 Fire and Phase 26 USB both of which I own (as also the newer - "I want" DMX 6 Fire USB {24/192 I/O, 48V Phantom power for Mic all singing all dancing}), appear, from the rather scant documentation, to utilise this method.

Specs quote the phono inputs as 47Kohm impedance and sensitivity to suit MM or HOMC cartridges, there is a button on the control panel (software) for "RIAA Filter" but the rather cryptic documentation hints that this is for monitoring only and the "howto" guides one to use the provided Wavelab Lite software to apply RIAA correction using a .dll provided as a post-processing filter.

Down the rabbit hole we go - using ASIO drivers is a "good thing", but being Steinberg proprietary, not all software can use them, notably the freeware Audacity (Steinbergs licensing conflicts with the Audacity license) BUT - it is possible to "roll your own" for personal use (I believe).

My usual preferred, minimalist recording software, offers auto level setting, auto start and auto stop - all quite handy in a stripped down interface uncluttered with all the paraphernalia of Audition or Sound Forge and the like.  Sadly, it does not support ASIO nor high bitrates, which I rather prefer for initial "takes", no harm in down sampling to 16/44 later.

Why now ? - some other darn fool wanted to do some archiving and this one opened its big yap and volunteered to help out - I predict much regret of this impetuousness in the coming days.

Trouble with this stuff and software and 'puters in general, it is the stuff they don't tell you that you REALLY DO need to know to get it all to work and the only way to find out that stuff is to try all the wrong ways and any other avenues of frustration that offer themselves in the process.

Probably not much different to designing phono stages and headphone amps and such eh? Wink

That's about enuff from Groucho as he goes orf to make 'is Marx - Ermm - maybe this should have gone in Krabby Patty.

Lang may yer lum reek.

Oh BTB, had the lid off the Phase 26 (don't ask) and was impressed to see what appeared to be a decent looking digital pulse transformer on the coax out.

Let you all know how it went when I am done driving myself further round the bend. Ying Yang

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:09pm
Best of luck with that Tony. I share your usual approach of less is more on ripping vinyl but would be interested in knowing how it goes.
Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 2:01pm
My method, for years, has been to record direct to recordable audio c.d. using an old Philips c.d. recorder/player connected to the tape in/out on my pre-amp. The results are very good.
The c.ds may, after finalising, then be played in car or converted to MP3 (highest quality) for adding to my MP3 player.
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 7:43am
I think we need to define what is meant by "flat" when we talk about subjects like this.

I get a few emails asking me if I can make the Revelation or Jazz Club do "flat" to suit old acoustic records on 78.

"Flat" on a magnetic cartridge is always going to give a treble heavy/bass light output regardless of recording EQ, electric or acoustic.

In the case of an RIAA standard pressing the difference between the lowest bass and highest  treble is 40dB - a ratio of 100:1. That is miles off being flat.

Although the record amplitude itself is as near as dam it flat, the cartridge output, being a generator, goes up with increasing mechanical velocity - as frequency increases the stylus is moved faster, generating more voltage.

In my opinion flat should mean the equalisation of the cartridge alone. Then the EQ needed would just be for the differences in record amplitude alone, and therefore the EQ could then be done in the digital domain.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic