FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

DC on the mains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:47pm
Here's my scrap box version for those wishing to save some money.

&amp;quot;DC on mains filter&amp;quot;

Estimated cost: £10 ex case

Be bloody careful!

Edited by Graham Slee - 29 Jan 2022 at 9:53pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

The schematic is above.

You did get his written permission? I wouldn't want him to come after the website's owner (me).

Nope.So I removed it.
It is available on his website for anybody that is interested.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 8:27am

The schematic is above.

You did get his written permission? I wouldn't want him to come after the website's owner (me).

Nope.So I removed it.
It is available on his website for anybody that is interested.

Why not put a hyperlink to the image instead? Something in the order of "click here to see the circuit" using the hyperlink tool (^ up there in the reply composer). That would put it in another browser tab and be on his website, and it would still be available for all to see.

I know you're well meaning and you put the link in image tags which isn't really uploading but he wouldn't be able to see the HTML.

I wouldn't want anybody to think I was pushing my latter circuit contribution - it's just another idea that does the same number of DC stages.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
I have added a link to the owners product info.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm

Here's my scrap box version for those wishing to save some money.

&amp;amp;quot;DC on mains filter&amp;amp;quot;

Estimated cost: £10 ex case

Be bloody careful!

With 50A bridge rectifiers, I assume that some kind of thermal dissipation should be provisioned?
Obviously, it won’t be pulling anywhere near 50A, but something like that could happily feed my entire system?
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:02pm
My version that I currently have fitted has a single 10A 600V bridge rectifier, and two 4700uF capacitors, so a little cheaper, but also possibly a little less effective if there is a large “DC element” on the mains.
Kevin
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 1:17pm
(Replying to the post before last)

Not really. There are a few lying about on my R&D bench, and they're overrated for the job, as you say, but they're highly popular for some reason at the moment, so are very inexpensive.

I've been using them in my amplifier experiment's power supplies because they're pretty "bomb proof".

Apart from switch-on inrush, the primary current to your amplifier's transformers will be less than two amps, with amplifier at full output, so the bridge's won't get hot at all. Mine have a metal base for heatsinking, which is really well insulated from the diode junctions, but even so, I'd insulate them when used on the mains.

And the voltage doesn't really matter, as the reverse current flow sees the opposing polarity diodes limit the reverse voltage, and vice versa.

The capacitors can be any voltage above say 6V, but 16V is common, and there's nothing to stop the constructor using a higher voltage rating. I think the combined series-parallel rating of what your building at 102,000 uF is a bit OTT. I too have used a couple of 4700uF, but maybe 10,000uF (giving 5000uF because of the series connection) might rid all worry about phase lag.

Edited by Graham Slee - 30 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic