FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie. Took the plunge & iTunes alternative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:06am
I too have Bitperfect which is fairly cheap at about $10. However the bugs annoy the heck out of me and thus I do not use it anymore.

Jeremy, enjoy your new Bitzie.
Miguel
wolfie01902 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfie01902 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 4:28pm
Hello again,

Interested you are using the squeezebox/slim-server on your Mac. I do too as I have a five year old Logitech Transporter which I love, so long as its connected by Ethernet not wireless.

Also I too heard iTunes could not play FLAC but... there's a mac app called, believe it or not, FLAC. This converts FLAC to apple lossless by just dragging the file into the app then it puts it in iTunes as 24 bit ALAC.

This is what i did with a wonderful studiomaster version of Tubular Bells purchased from the Bowers & Wilkins site. Seems to work (except on the transformer it does shows as 16 bit?) In iTunes though it does show it 24 bit.
On the Linn site I downloaded the Rolling Stones Grrr studio-master - they do ALAC (and this does show up as 24 bit on the transformer)

A little confusing as I'm all a bit (pardon the pun) new to this.
What I do know however is normal Apple MP3 downloads even at 256kbps are awful
The few I have I now avoid playing on the transformer or especially through the Grado GS1000's where they sound an insult , which is what they are, to music.

Thanks for the much appreciated advice. I'll have a look at COG but may wait until I get my Bitzie, so looking forward to it especially after the tremendous support its getting here.

Thanks to you all so far for your help

Regards Jeremy
Ps anyone have or heard any Monitor Audio Studio 20's? Bought them secondhand 10 years ago and think they are fantastic. Never met anyone else who's got them though.

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm
Hi Jeremy,

I love my Transporter too - such a shame Slim Devices got bought out by Logitech Angry. But I suppose they did go on with the Jive platform and bring us the Touch. My SB server runs on a Windows Home Server box in my study, not on the Mac - though I did start with it on the Mac when I bought my first SB3. I now have 6 rooms with players of varying types, plus there are 5 iPhone/Pod/Pad devices running iPeng with the player plug in. (So no-one is ever far from music!)

Anyhow, I'm really behind the times with music playback on a Mac because it's not something I do much. When I demo'd the Bitzie though I did listen to a lot of music via Cog. I have to admit I'm not much of an iTunes fan, but if it works ok for you, and you get the quality you want, then that's great! I've not come across the FLAC app for conversion to ALAC. If I ever need to change a music file's format I use a little program called Switch (on both Mac and PC).

And, no - I've not come across MA Studio 20s!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by wolfie01902 wolfie01902 wrote:

Also I too heard iTunes could not play FLAC but... there's a mac app called, believe it or not, FLAC. This converts FLAC to apple lossless by just dragging the file into the app then it puts it in iTunes as 24 bit ALAC.
Hi Jeremy, can you point us to where to get this?  I've found Fluke, but not Flac.
To date I've converted FLAC to ALAC using Max, which has good reviews, but I've not done enough to have an opinion.

Cheers
Ifor
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:09pm
A 'google' suggests it is MacFlac you might need.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

I know nothing about Macs so don't ask me for help!!
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Yes, I found that, but assumed it wasn't the one since it's so old it doesn't work on Intel Macs.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Yes, I found that, but assumed it wasn't the one since it's so old it doesn't work on Intel Macs.

Sounds pretty oldLOL
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic