FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie + Lautus USB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bitzie + Lautus USB
    Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:42am
I'm soon to be getting the Bitzie for a fortnight's testing -- wow, looking forward to it.  But I've been looking at the photo on this website and am not sure from the look, exactly where each plug will go on my pc.   Hoping it might be obvious when the package arrives, but does anyone know if there's a photo of the whole set-up here or elsewhere?

Just to clarify one very elementary point (with suitable embarrassment for naivety) -- is the Bitzie only for headphones, or can I use it also with the speakers connected to my pc?

Thanks in advance for any links to info, or simply a few words of guidance!

all best
Brian
UK
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

I'm soon to be getting the Bitzie for a fortnight's testing -- wow, looking forward to it.  But I've been looking at the photo on this website and am not sure from the look, exactly where each plug will go on my pc.   Hoping it might be obvious when the package arrives, but does anyone know if there's a photo of the whole set-up here or elsewhere?

Just to clarify one very elementary point (with suitable embarrassment for naivety) -- is the Bitzie only for headphones, or can I use it also with the speakers connected to my pc?

all best
Brian
UK

Brian, I am not sure if there's a photo of the whole set-up.

I did find this on the Bitzie product description:

"USB Preamp

Line output drives active speakers, integrated amp, preamp or separate headphone amp. Sound quality and sound staging is as good as it can get!"

There are instructions included with the Bitzie,

BUT feel free to ask us for any assistance you require.

This forum is here to help all who are interested.

Bruce

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:18am
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

all best
Brian
UK

Bitzie is an USB DAC. It means you have to connect it to an USB port of the computer. I don't remember, but i don't think it was explained how to connect it to an USB port. I suppose it is assumed that you know what USB is and how to connect to it.
I regard Bitzie as an small headphone amp. If you want to connect speakers you need some kind of amplification. Either active speakers or an separate ampifier between the bitzie and the speakers. In such a setup the Bitzie works as a small preamplifier. BUT, if your main purpose is to drive a speaker system, I think Grahams Slee's upcoming Big DAC.is a better choice.
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:33am
Oh. I just saw you asked about your speakers connected to your PC and not about. speakers in general. Your PC-speakers most probably have some kind of amplification inbuilt, ie they are active speakers. So, in principle it should work. If your speakers are connected with a single plug to a line out on the computer, I think it ought to work if you just connect the speaker to the Bitzie headphone out.
I don't know what kind of speakers you have, but most PC-speakers are not what we usually call HiFi. Your PC-speakers will most probably not do the Bitzie full justice.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:12am

and that's it... Smile

The two analogue outputs on the front panel are both equivalent line-outs so you can connect two headphones, two sets of active speakers, two amps with their own sets of passive speakers, or a headphone and a speaker system. There are many applications.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:24am
Thanks Humboldt.   The speakers aren't Hi-Fi at all, not exactly the one pictured here http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/personal/?sku=P102 probably, since I've had mine some years, but it looks pretty much like it.  I have them attached to the pc in a very small room and as I said elsewhere it's not an ideal setting but one has to make the most.

Which is one reason I prefer greatly listening through headphones, and why I'm hoping to invest in the Bitzie!

By the way, if I buy the Bitzie (really for use with my pc and headphones) could I dispense, ie sell, my Voyager, can one use the Bitzie with an iPod, that's ipOd ('o' not 'a' for clarity, LOL)?

I don't think I'd be using the Bitzie with the speakers, and I asked mainly to be sure that if I do experiment with it and them, I don't blow the precious kit up.

all best
Brian
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:25am
Thanks very much N-E, that's very helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic