Print Page | Close Window

Bitzie + Lautus USB

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: UK Loaner Program
Forum Description: A members only service in the UK
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2015
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bitzie + Lautus USB
Posted By: gbr2004uk
Subject: Bitzie + Lautus USB
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:42am
I'm soon to be getting the Bitzie for a fortnight's testing -- wow, looking forward to it.  But I've been looking at the photo on this website and am not sure from the look, exactly where each plug will go on my pc.   Hoping it might be obvious when the package arrives, but does anyone know if there's a photo of the whole set-up here or elsewhere?

Just to clarify one very elementary point (with suitable embarrassment for naivety) -- is the Bitzie only for headphones, or can I use it also with the speakers connected to my pc?

Thanks in advance for any links to info, or simply a few words of guidance!

all best
Brian
UK

Replies:
Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

I'm soon to be getting the Bitzie for a fortnight's testing -- wow, looking forward to it.  But I've been looking at the photo on this website and am not sure from the look, exactly where each plug will go on my pc.   Hoping it might be obvious when the package arrives, but does anyone know if there's a photo of the whole set-up here or elsewhere?

Just to clarify one very elementary point (with suitable embarrassment for naivety) -- is the Bitzie only for headphones, or can I use it also with the speakers connected to my pc?

all best
Brian
UK

Brian, I am not sure if there's a photo of the whole set-up.

I did find this on the Bitzie product description:

"USB Preamp

Line output drives active speakers, integrated amp, preamp or separate headphone amp. Sound quality and sound staging is as good as it can get!"

There are instructions included with the Bitzie,

BUT feel free to ask us for any assistance you require.

This forum is here to help all who are interested.

Bruce

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Posted By: Humboldt
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:18am

all best
Brian
UK

Bitzie is an USB DAC. It means you have to connect it to an USB port of the computer. I don't remember, but i don't think it was explained how to connect it to an USB port. I suppose it is assumed that you know what USB is and how to connect to it.
I regard Bitzie as an small headphone amp. If you want to connect speakers you need some kind of amplification. Either active speakers or an separate ampifier between the bitzie and the speakers. In such a setup the Bitzie works as a small preamplifier. BUT, if your main purpose is to drive a speaker system, I think Grahams Slee's upcoming Big DAC.is a better choice.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:33am
Oh. I just saw you asked about your speakers connected to your PC and not about. speakers in general. Your PC-speakers most probably have some kind of amplification inbuilt, ie they are active speakers. So, in principle it should work. If your speakers are connected with a single plug to a line out on the computer, I think it ought to work if you just connect the speaker to the Bitzie headphone out.
I don't know what kind of speakers you have, but most PC-speakers are not what we usually call HiFi. Your PC-speakers will most probably not do the Bitzie full justice.

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:12am

and that's it... Smile

The two analogue outputs on the front panel are both equivalent line-outs so you can connect two headphones, two sets of active speakers, two amps with their own sets of passive speakers, or a headphone and a speaker system. There are many applications.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:24am
Thanks Humboldt.   The speakers aren't Hi-Fi at all, not exactly the one pictured here http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/personal/?sku=P102 - http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/personal/?sku=P102 probably, since I've had mine some years, but it looks pretty much like it.  I have them attached to the pc in a very small room and as I said elsewhere it's not an ideal setting but one has to make the most.

Which is one reason I prefer greatly listening through headphones, and why I'm hoping to invest in the Bitzie!

By the way, if I buy the Bitzie (really for use with my pc and headphones) could I dispense, ie sell, my Voyager, can one use the Bitzie with an iPod, that's ipOd ('o' not 'a' for clarity, LOL)?

I don't think I'd be using the Bitzie with the speakers, and I asked mainly to be sure that if I do experiment with it and them, I don't blow the precious kit up.

all best
Brian

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:25am
Thanks very much N-E, that's very helpful.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:31am
A computer headphone output is at line-out level, same as the Bitzie analogue outputs, which are also at line-out level. Unless you have high-fidelity speakers however, it is fruitless to connect generic computer speakers to the Bitzie and expect a complete transformation. There may be some very minor improvements in the sound but these would likely be difficult to hear because such transducers would severely limit the Bitzie's performance. Stick with headphones for now as you get a much higher price-to-performance ratio with headphones and will be able to experience what the Bitzie can really do at a moderate cost.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 10:37am
By the way, I still need to do my Bitzie review. Well, a review of my whole system. I still need some more time. The equipment needs more use before the results become consistent enough to make conclusions. So far though, VERY VERY good. I consider the Bitzie with Lautus USB to be a benchmark of high-fidelity sound. Truly a benchmark for a computer audio enthusiast like me anyway. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:32pm

By the way, if I buy the Bitzie (really for use with my pc and headphones) could I dispense, ie sell, my Voyager, can one use the Bitzie with an iPod, that's ipOd ('o' not 'a' for clarity, LOL)?

You can NOT use the Bitzie with an ipOd.

Keep you Voyager and use it with your Bitzie. It might bee that you like the combination Bitzie + Voyager even better than just the Bitzie alone. And, you will need your Voyager for your iPod, if you have one.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 1:25pm
A Bitzie will work with an iPad and the camera connection kit (which provides the USB socket).

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm
I have a question. How does the performance of the Voyager compare with the performance of the Bitzie (+Lautus USB)?

I am considering buying the Voyager and an appropriate Lautus phono-phono cable for maintaining signal purity to its input. How do you think the two devices would compare? I'd imagine that the Bitzie would have a little bit of an edge over the Voyager but only a little bit. Both are suitable for use by a professional audio engineer, I'm sure. Can anyone comment from experience?

No doubt you'll all just say: "Use the loan program and find out for yourself..." Tongue I don't want to borrow GSP equipment though, because I'd have to send it back... and I might not want to! Tongue LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

No doubt you'll all just say: "Use the loan program and find out for yourself..." Tongue I don't want to borrow GSP equipment though, because I'd have to send it back... and I might not want to! Tongue LOL
Here's a thought! You could borrow one, Ash . . Big smile

Unfortunately I've never heard a Voyager, because if I borrowed one I know I'd hate to send it back . . LOL

Seriously, my feelings would be that you'd find it hard to tell the Bitzie and Voyager apart since both benefit from Graham's analogue output magic. 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

...since both benefit from Graham's analogue output magic. 

That's it! The perfect strap line! "Analogue Magic"

Thanks! Wink

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
You're welcome!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:36pm

you'd find it hard to tell the Bitzie and Voyager apart since both benefit from Graham's analogue output magic. 

Just as I thought... Smile

I'd be a fool to not just buy it upfront. Wink

I have decided to select the Voyager instead of the Solo ULDE because of portability, size, not mains dependent, reduced cost and just sheer flexibility of applications. Gives me extra money to buy a Lautus cable for it as well. Big smile Remember that I'm a digital guy so the ULDE might well be overkill for my needs. Vinyl is required to get the most out of the ULDE. Thumbs Up I feel I need Graham's understanding of analogue in a product purchase so the Voyager will be the answer. For computers and USB devices, I have a Bitzie. For everything else, the Voyager will be my saviour. That superior analogue stage should be very audible indeed. I don't care about specs, I'm just going for sheer enjoyment of audio material. This is the greatest gift that Graham has given us; enjoyment and appreciation of our music collections.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:16pm
Hey Graham, I have a request.

The high quality dual phono-1/4 inch jack adapter that comes with the Bitzie... Are you able to sell two 3.5mm mini-jack versions (DAP audio??) of the adapter to me when I buy a phono-phono Lautus cable from you? Just add the cost to my bill? Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:39pm

Hey Graham, I have a request.

The high quality dual phono-1/4 inch jack adapter that comes with the Bitzie... Are you able to sell two 3.5mm mini-jack versions (DAP audio??) of the adapter to me when I buy a phono-phono Lautus cable from you? Just add the cost to my bill? Thumbs Up

Your wish is our command (so be careful...). Just mention it when you order. Thanks

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:42pm

my feelings would be that you'd find it hard to tell the Bitzie and Voyager apart since both benefit from Graham's analogue output magic. 

I think it is rather diffucult to compare the Vovager end the Bitzie since they are very different animals. I have both, but basically Voyager is built for iPods and similar devices. As soon we are talking about computers Bitzie is the obvious choice. Remember, the Bitzie is first and foremost a DAC. The Voyager is an small amplifier with small portable devices in mind.

I have sometimes plugged the Voyager into the Bitzie, and have now and then liked the added warmth, but I would not really recommend the combination for someone who don´t already owns a Voyager. The Bitzie is very good as it is. The SOLO ULD is something completely different. I say, if you want to ad a headphone amplifier to your Bitzie, then the SOLO is in my opinion what it takes to make a significant step upwards. 

I don´t agree at all with the opinion that analog is needed to get the most out of the SOLO.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Humboldt Humboldt wrote:

I don´t agree at all with the opinion that analog is needed to get the most out of the SOLO.

I'd be happy to be wrong in this regard. Thumbs Up (I'd prefer to be.)

My dilemma with the Bitzie is that there are many audio devices that I cannot use it with. So I have to go down the route of the Voyager as my alternative. I'm assuming that I can drive my Equator D5 active speakers with the Voyager using my Lautus cables?

Or does Graham recommend the Voyager for use with headphones ONLY? I'm presuming that because the Voyager has a line-out, that this would be a suitable input for speaker amplifiers?? Am I wrong again? Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 3:16pm

My dilemma with the Bitzie is that there are many audio devices that I cannot use it with. So I have to go down the route of the Voyager as my alternative.

In your case, as you describe it, I assume the voyager can be an alternative.

I'm assuming that I can drive my Equator D5 active speakers with the Voyager using my Lautus cables?

But why do you want to drive your active speakers with an headphone amp? Why not just drive them with the Bitzie?

Or does Graham recommend the Voyager for use with headphones ONLY?

Well, you must ask Graham about his recommendations, but as I see it the Voyager is a design with devices like iPod etc. in mind. But this do not necessarily mean it can´t be used in another context for other purposes.  

I'm presuming that because the Voyager has a line-out, that this would be a suitable input for speaker amplifiers??

I don´t understand. Why do you want a headphone amp to be used as input for speaker amplifiers? Can´t you just use the amp?

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 3:41pm
Humboldt, I can only use my Bitzie with USB devices... USB is its only input so for non-USB devices, it is of no use at all... so I'm stuck. I have several non-USB devices such as a portable "mp3" player and various video game consoles such as Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Gamecube. Ideally, I need to select an amplifier that is both portable and suitable for use in the home, so that I can extract high fidelity sound out of all of them. The Voyager is the only thing that I can think of. As long as I can drive speaker amps using the Voyager line-out, I am completely sorted for connectivity.

I doubt that I will need Graham's "Big DAC" as it will feature many things that I do not require and isn't portable.

So my question is can the Voyager be used as a preamplifier? For the sake of extra fine tuning of overall sound volume as well. In the future, I might find myself with two Proprius and the LS3/5A V2 instead of my Equator D5 so it would be good to know if the Voyager is suitable for both driving scenarios. Smile

-------------

Posted By: kwmac
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 3:55pm

I do not think you are at all wrong in your assessment of the Voyager’s virtues NE. It’s only where you try lock in your good decision by slightly knocking the digital application of the ULDE down a notch or two that you are mistaken IMO. Unfortunately, both pieces of kit could be the correct answer in the right circumstances. ‘Horses for courses’ is the expression I have read around here before, I think.

As a portable device, the Voyager is fantastic. I use primarily use it with a Zune player (I hear that snickering!) and it is a night and day improvement in dynamics and richness over the stock player.

The ULDE is, again IMO, in a totally different league again. Of course, in my case, the quality up the (digital) chain is completely different for each kit, but the impact of the ULDE is stirring. For me, I have found my muse!

At the end of the day, if you stumbled across a pot of $, I think you could be very satisfied with both!

(I do not actually dispute your assertion that vinyl would get the ‘most’ out of the ULDE. My vinyl days have passed so I cannot compare first hand. I can say that a digital system has great possibilities and can absolutely be a satisfying path to choose. Sometimes I think we spend too much energy deciding on which ‘different’ is the better ‘different’. Again, for me the answer is somewhat irrelevant as circumstance has led me to digital so I’m out the make the best of it. And I’m happy with the journey so far!)

Hope you run into that pot!

Steve

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm
Sod it, I'll just buy both and find out for myself. LOL Embarrassed I'm just a minimalist, that's all, and I don't like to have, for example, 6 products that all do the same thing when I could achieve the same results with just 2 products. Smile

I wasn't digital bashing either. I love digital audio. I'm simply accepting that ultimately, when it comes to cutting edge playback, vinyl still has the lead at the current time.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by kwmac kwmac wrote:

if you stumbled across a pot of $

I stumbled upon the finest pot of gold on the 16th October 2012.

^_^ The day progress was finally made.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 5:21pm

So my question is can the Voyager be used as a preamplifier?

(In the future, I might find myself with two Proprius and the LS3/5A V2 instead of my Equator D5 so it would be good to know if the Voyager is suitable for both driving scenarios. Smile)

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:17pm

Humboldt, I can only use my Bitzie with USB devices... USB is its only input so for non-USB devices, it is of no use at all... so I'm stuck. I have several non-USB devices such as a portable "mp3" player and various video game consoles such as Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Gamecube. Ideally, I need to select an amplifier that is both portable and suitable for use in the home, so that I can extract high fidelity sound out of all of them. The Voyager is the only thing that I can think of. As long as I can drive speaker amps using the Voyager line-out, I am completely sorted for connectivity.

If you want a portable amp for your MP3 player and video game consoles, the Voyager is perfect. At least if there is a line out from the video game device.

It was the active speakers that puzzled me. I mean, if they already have an inbuilt amplifier, can't you just connect the line out from your mp3 player directly into your speaker? Do you understand how I mean?. I am not sure I understand why you want to put the voyager in between so to say. But from a technical point of view i don't think there would be a problem to do as you suggest.

I have never used my Voyager for anything else than for headphones, so I can honestly not say anything about it as an preamplifier for speakers. But as an headphone amp, keeping it' s intended use in mind, I think it is the best you can find.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 7:00pm
Thanks for getting back to me Humboldt. I mainly want to use the Voyager inbetween the mp3 player and the speakers to provide a single stereo volume control. This would provide two advantages. Firstly, I would then not have to adjust the volume control knob on each of the monitors speakers, as they must be in exactly the same position on both, which is frustrating to do quickly. Secondly, these volume control knobs are quite a coarse and unprecise adjustment where each "jump" on the dial reflects quite a large volume change... I can't set them at a volume somewhere inbetween. With the Voyager inbetween, I have that simple Alps volume pot, which is perfect for fine tuning the volume level. My mp3 player has a very very low output as well so could use the extra amplification and the superior analogue output stage.

I need to check with Graham about the compatibility with speakers. I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as I don't connect the Voyager to something that tries to draw too much current from it, I can't understand why there would be a problem. Smile

EDIT: Although, yes, I could just use the software volume control on the mp3 player, I suppose.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:35pm
UPDATE: Humboldt, I connected the mp3 player directly to my active speakers using Lautus interconnects and the sonic results were quite disappointing... Ermm The audio lacked dynamics and was very dull and uninvolving. The output needs more power and some GSP "analogue magic"©2013. I played the audio information from the player through my laptop and Bitzie to the speakers and it sounded so much better!! The difference was very significant. Much more involving and spatial.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 6:44pm
Hi Bruce

Thanks, my trial Bitzie arrived this afternoon UK time and I've been putting it through its paces.  It's just so easy to set up (in fact it sets itself up, all I had to do is watch) apart from the equally easy bit about making sure the Foobar2000 was set to USB Audio CODEC.

I chose several extracts from ripped CDs -- some really good tests of full orchestral sounds, eg Delius, Mass of Life, huge chorus and orchestra; Bartok Concerto for Orchestra; Stravinsky, Rite of Spring (an ultimate test!), back to Bartok, the Dance Suite, finally the first movement of Walton Symphony 1.

I've had these CDs for years and now realise I've never really heard them properly until today!  Truly.  I was able a few times, until I realised it was no longer necessary, to quickly unplug the headphone cable, change the audio CODEC and hear the same piece without the Bitzie, and the difference is just amazing.

I realise this is a rave notice, but it's how I feel about it.  I presume that the test machine is already well played-in and so my test is showing it at its best.

There's a depth and richness to the sound, giving the headphones a much fuller sound and the spread of sound is hugely more spacious.   The bass is now really a different experience altogether on the HD650 -- and I've heard notes in all the above music I've never heard before.

The clarity in the densest orchestral passages is wonderful to hear -- the inner parts.   I shall try over the coming days other combinations -- eg piano solos, unaccompanied violin etc.

But today I'm thinking the bank balance is going to be seriously depleted (but in a great cause!)   I've got a good zoom lens for sale (slipped that bit in).

all best
Brian

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 7:01pm
Brian,
I appreciate your exuberant and heartfelt response to receiving your Bitzie DAC!
I do think the thanks should go to the designer, Graham Slee.
He is the one who works the magic into reproducing musical quality.Smile
Forum member Jon (Fatmangolf) is in the UK and he is also here to help those wishing to experience Graham Slee quality equipment.
I am glad to help further knowledge of quality audio equipment.
Here to help,
Bruce

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 7:41pm
Great write up Brian, and your musical examples all feature in my collection too!

I'm rather obsessed with Walton 1 - which recording were you playing?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:30pm
I'm glad you asked, Bob -- me too!  It was the Rattle/CBSO (coupled with Belshazzar).  But I also have an old one with Previn and the LSO (a terrific performance), and Haitink with the Philharmonia (a long time since I played it and from memory I think I found it a bit too measured and staid, but I'll give it another outing with the Bitzie -- it might jazz it up no end!).
Cheers
Brian

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:38pm
Thank you Bruce.  Will my comment be forwarded to Graham or do I send him a copy privately?  Of course you're right.   I've been playing more stuff, and my enthusiasm is growing by the hour.  The Bartok Sonata for 2 pianos and percussion (Labèque sisters and Rattle), razor sharp articulation, xylophone and drums thrilling.
Brian

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:12am
I've been using my Lautus USB and Bitzie all day today and I have finally come to the realisation that headphones ultimately pale in comparison to speakers... My beloved HD250II does not match the spacious performance of monitor speakers. I reverted to listening through the HD250II after a day of speaker listening and suddenly the HD250II sounded terrible!! Confused Shocked Cry Cry Cry It felt like two-dimensional audio due to the missing depth and the midrange seemed to have gone AWOL. The sound just seemed restricted and cramped in comparison... Confused Cry At first, I thought that I was just suffering from severe listening fatigue but no, headphones just don't beat speakers, for me, not even the HD250... Cry I guess I have been in denial a little bit.

The Bitzie and Lautus are fantastic and the HD250II offers fantastic performance as well, but only for a headphone. Monitor speakers will reveal just how incredible the Lautus and Bitzie really are!! The HD250II only conveys limited information in comparison. However, even though I like the speaker presentation more, my monitors aren't flawless either. My Equator D5s exhibit some amplifier hiss noise at the woofer cones and I feel this detracts from the openness and purity of the audio. Put simply, they are holding my Bitzie and Lautus back so these monitors will eventually be sold. At least the HD250II doesn't have such hiss problems. I'm also getting the impression that the HD250II excels with vinyl more than it does with digital although I'm not sure of this so please don't take this or anything else I've said as too much of an assertion. Embarrassed All my equipment does sound very good though despite me scrutinizing the living hell out of it. As soon as I receive my HD540 reference, I will be doing some more tests then after that, I'm just going to mainly use speakers.

Bring on the LS3/5A and especially the Proprius and Spatia. This is where the Bitzie and Lautus will excel as well. The Bitzie is excellent for speaker audio!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:21am
I agree, Brian, Haitink's Walton 1 is very measured in the first movement - though weighty and monumental I think; his 3rd mvt is very slow and intense and he holds it together very well. Good recording though. Previn's Telarc version is much lower voltage than his 1966 RCA. A good modern issue is Martyn Brabbins on Hyperion IMO. I've also got recordings by Handley (2), Fremaux, Boult, Walton, Thomson , Ashkenazy, Slatkin, Daniel, Mackerras, Sargent, Leaper, Boughton, Davis, Gibson, Harty - and Rattle. Did I say I was obsessed with this piece?

And you mentioned the Labeque Sisters. I was playing a Gershwin disc of theirs only yesterday: two piano versions of Rhapsody in Blue and the Piano Concerto. Splendid stuff!

It's good to talk about music - after all it's what hifi should be about.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:08am
Hello Brian, thanks for your review - I'm pleased it's making you happy. I especially liked your comment: "It's just so easy to set up (in fact it sets itself up, all I had to do is watch) apart from the equally easy bit about making sure the Foobar2000 was set to USB Audio CODEC."

Graham

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:43am
It's great Graham.  Spent several hours last night ripping and playing CDs.   Even a remastered CD from old analogue tapes, like Earl Wild classics from 30 years ago and earlier sounds just amazing, indeed with eyes closed it was very nearly as if I was in the room with the piano.  I'll try a modern piano recording later, and I expect it may be even better.

all best
Brian

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:55am
Er, yes, but there aren't that many better things to be 'obsessed' about!  I was happy about this for another reason.  Far too many people, and not least some professional musicians who should know better, are terribly 'sniffy' about Walton.   I'm not entirely sure why.  There's a human warmth to his music, along with the lyricism and contrasting violent excitement that was missing in so much contemporary music last century.  And crikey, the man knew how to write a great tune -- opening of the violin concerto if anyone wants evidence.  (It's sometimes compared to Gershwin's Summertime, but Walton was a bit indignant when a music critic once pointed that out to him.)

Did you ever manage to get to the Walton Gardens on Ischia?  I don't know what they're like now that Susana has died, I hope they're being well looked after.  I was there a year after the centenary.  The Tony Palmer bio-doc, At The Haunted End of the Day is really good.   Oh, and then there's the whole saga around Troilus and Cressida -- a concert performance in Birmingham with Richard Hickox, magnificent, revealing it's many beauties (even if in total it's a slightly flawed work).   I think he was planning a full staged revival.  Such a tragic loss to music.

I'd better stop, I could go on all day about Willie W!
cheers
Brian

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net