FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best punk album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
eduardo_nunez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote eduardo_nunez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:30pm
I love all the contributions, I nominate Pink Flag by Wire
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by eduardo_nunez eduardo_nunez wrote:

I love all the contributions, I nominate Pink Flag by Wire

Great album and a good pick. For Wire I will admit I prefer the next two albums by them though - those aren't really punk per se. 
goloba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goloba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
And these albums are also milestones:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Black Flag - Damaged

But I must confess that I am more into hardcore than punk.
Maybe my personal best but quite unknown punk album because of the "strange" language is Pankrti - Dolgcajt. My elder cousin introduced them to me and it was my beginning to fall in love with punk when I was 11 ;-)

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by goloba goloba wrote:

And these albums are also milestones:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Black Flag - Damaged

But I must confess that I am more into hardcore than punk.
Maybe my personal best but quite unknown punk album because of the "strange" language is Pankrti - Dolgcajt. My elder cousin introduced them to me and it was my beginning to fall in love with punk when I was 11 ;-)

Yes, of course, all classics and albums I listened to quite a bit when younger. My introduction to punk was also on the hardcore side. I didn't get into the 70s punk stuff until quite a bit later. I like both styles. Not familiar with the Pankrti album, will have to look into that one. 

My language is English but I've got no problem at all with punk bands that sing in other languages. One of my favorites is the band Lama from Finland, and I can't understand a word of their lyrics because I don't speak/read Finnish. 
Mack1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:37pm
Minor Threat - complete discography 
The Stooges - 1st 3 albums
Regards, David
shirivasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirivasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Interesting thread. One thing about the genre is that it began splintering before it was even a thing. So many early recordings are not complete albums. If you look at it from a certain angle, it was kinda a return to the single.

Another thing that is endlessly amusing for me is how there still exists hard feelings between the prog and punk crowds, fueled by journalism of the day. To that point. Peter Hammill's Nadir's Big Chance is historically mention by John Lydon as a favorite or influence.

I've also come to appreciate Electric Eels proto-punk work, and will always fondly remember the Stick Men with Rayguns shows I was able to see when I was young. Both of these bands have no albums from their active period. 

I've also really enjoyed listening to Bad Brains Black Dots Don Zientara recordings, which I like better than Ric Ocasek's take. 

There's really so much diversity under the punk label, and lots of good mentions already in this thread.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm
Not suggesting these are the best punk albums, more that they are examples of the explosion of new music in the post-punk era... I played the Undertones' Hypnotised and Positive Touch LP's the other day. Very good music and it made me fell nostalgic.

[I just had to correct my typos and add some missing words!]

Edited by Fatmangolf - 13 Apr 2020 at 9:43pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic