Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best punk album
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Subject: Best punk album
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:10pm
Never mind the bollocks here's the Sex Pistols? Discuss

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Replies:
Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 10:30pm
Well if any album can be described as era defining, then this can. Even if you don't like it! I now think it's a great rock n roll album & it was part of the soundtrack to mid/late teens, although I preferred other bands back then. A hugely influential time for me.

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Posted By: Task1
Date Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:46am
Never Mind The Bollocks from the Sex Pistols was the big 'Sell Out'! They had always said that they wouldn't do an album as that was the mainstream way to do things, then all of a sudden this- The Sex Pistols greatest hits before the world had had time to recover.
I was not a fan but one of my pals was devastated and has never listened to them again to this day! 

-------------
Does it really matter?

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 9:04pm
The eponymously titled The Clash. Just for White Riot if nothing else.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:53am
Good nomination.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:08am
We should get a list of the classic albums (that's if you can describe a punk album as classic) and have a vote.
So another couple for me are Damned Damned Damned and Rattus Norvegicus.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posted By: Fernando
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:05pm
X-Ray Spex a great punk reference too!

Posted By: Nihil Sleighride
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 5:26pm
I'll go with Adolescents - S/T

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 4:25pm
The Ramones first album - melodic & catchy punk

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 4:59pm
Not a big fan of pure punk. Can't see how it's any better than Live at Leeds Tongue
But if Gang of Four - Entertainment! counts then definitely that.

-------------
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 7:31pm
Good choice Johan

-------------
Jon

Posted By: goloba
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Hi there,

my vote goes to

Bad Brains - Rock For Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9kyty3xQwg&list=RDo9kyty3xQwg&start_radio=1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9kyty3xQwg&list=RDo9kyty3xQwg&start_radio=1

Great musicians, unique singer, energetic liveshows!

Posted By: Fernando
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
In my particular view and as I said X-Ray Spex was a iconic Punk album ever made, but Sex Pistols too, well, both are iconic and are absolute reference in Punk music.

Cheers 

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:00am
Some great albums mentioned here but it is very difficult for me to pick just one. I could probably pick a different album for each year up through the 90s and even then it would be difficult to pick just one. 

So for right now I'll just say Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

Posted By: eduardo_nunez
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:30pm
I love all the contributions, I nominate Pink Flag by Wire

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by eduardo_nunez eduardo_nunez wrote:

I love all the contributions, I nominate Pink Flag by Wire

Great album and a good pick. For Wire I will admit I prefer the next two albums by them though - those aren't really punk per se. 

Posted By: goloba
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
And these albums are also milestones:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Black Flag - Damaged

But I must confess that I am more into hardcore than punk.
Maybe my personal best but quite unknown punk album because of the "strange" language is Pankrti - Dolgcajt. My elder cousin introduced them to me and it was my beginning to fall in love with punk when I was 11 ;-)

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by goloba goloba wrote:

And these albums are also milestones:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Black Flag - Damaged

Maybe my personal best but quite unknown punk album because of the "strange" language is Pankrti - Dolgcajt. My elder cousin introduced them to me and it was my beginning to fall in love with punk when I was 11 ;-)

Yes, of course, all classics and albums I listened to quite a bit when younger. My introduction to punk was also on the hardcore side. I didn't get into the 70s punk stuff until quite a bit later. I like both styles. Not familiar with the Pankrti album, will have to look into that one. 

My language is English but I've got no problem at all with punk bands that sing in other languages. One of my favorites is the band Lama from Finland, and I can't understand a word of their lyrics because I don't speak/read Finnish. 

Posted By: Mack1969
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:37pm
Minor Threat - complete discography 
The Stooges - 1st 3 albums

-------------
Regards, David

Posted By: shirivasta
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Interesting thread. One thing about the genre is that it began splintering before it was even a thing. So many early recordings are not complete albums. If you look at it from a certain angle, it was kinda a return to the single.

Another thing that is endlessly amusing for me is how there still exists hard feelings between the prog and punk crowds, fueled by journalism of the day. To that point. Peter Hammill's Nadir's Big Chance is historically mention by John Lydon as a favorite or influence.

I've also come to appreciate Electric Eels proto-punk work, and will always fondly remember the Stick Men with Rayguns shows I was able to see when I was young. Both of these bands have no albums from their active period. 

I've also really enjoyed listening to Bad Brains Black Dots Don Zientara recordings, which I like better than Ric Ocasek's take. 

There's really so much diversity under the punk label, and lots of good mentions already in this thread.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm
Not suggesting these are the best punk albums, more that they are examples of the explosion of new music in the post-punk era... I played the Undertones' Hypnotised and Positive Touch LP's the other day. Very good music and it made me fell nostalgic.

[I just had to correct my typos and add some missing words!]

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Not suggesting these are the best punck album, more the eplosion of new music in the post-punk era... I played the Undertones' Hypnotised and Positive Touch LP's the other day. Very good music and nostalgic.

Classic band. I should get more stuff by them. I only have a CD reissue of the debut album. 

Also, I'm sure you know them and I've talked about them here before - but That Petrol Emotion, featuring a couple ex-members of the Undertones, also made some great albums. 

-------------
Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:46pm
You are right of course David. TPE was what the O'Neill brothers did next.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:26pm

Never mind the bollocks here's the Sex Pistols? Discuss

Yes. Of course. No home is complete without one!

My choices would be...

Essential pre-punk - Kick Out The Jams/The Stooges/Raw Power/Horses

Foundational/definitive - Ramones/The Modern Lovers/Never Mind The Bollocks/The Clash

Notable follow-ons while punk was metamorphosing into post-punk - Pink Flag/Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts/Germfree Adolescents/The Undertones

Post-punk - too many to list. Personal favourites - Chairs Missing/Metal Box/This Heat/Entertainment!/Cut/Fear Of Music/The Correct Use Of Soap/Unknown Pleasures/Three Imaginary Boys/....

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:13pm
Bang up to date the  Petrol Girls  album Cut & Stitch

-------------
Pro-j tt,Ortofon 2m Bronze cart,Audiolab 8300CD,GS Reflex M. Solo headphone amp both with PSU1,MF M2si amp,Monitor audio silver 100 speakers, Atlas cables

Posted By: Dignan2000
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:38pm

Chemicrazy is a severely underrated TPE gem.

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Dignan2000 Dignan2000 wrote:

Chemicrazy is a severely underrated TPE gem.

Absolutely love TPE - my very favouritest "geetar band" of the late 80s and early 90s Big smile. While Chemicrazy is certainly the LP to take to a desert island if you could only have one, all the others are not far behind IMLTHO - and what a storming live act they were!

For those similarly inclined, you may want to know that 80% of the final TPE lineup (i.e. everyone except the US-based Steve Mack) reconvened in 2014 and made another cracking LP under a new moniker:

http://https://www.discogs.com/The-Everlasting-Yeah-Anima-Rising/master/887060 - http://https://www.discogs.com/The-Everlasting-Yeah-Anima-Rising/master/887060

I gather they're hoping to record a follow-up post-Covid....

Posted By: ProPhono
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:07pm

Me too, I actually collect quite a bit of 80s and 90s hardcore subgenres and in particular post-hardcore. One of my absolute favorite albums is Shoulder's Touch LP. My favorite 80s bands are Gray Matter and Squirrel Bait. I also religiously collect Sunny Day Real Estate and Small Brown Bike.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by ProPhono ProPhono wrote:

Me too, I actually collect quite a bit of 80s and 90s hardcore subgenres and in particular post-hardcore. One of my absolute favorite albums is Shoulder's Touch LP. My favorite 80s bands are Gray Matter and Squirrel Bait. I also religiously collect Sunny Day Real Estate and Small Brown Bike.

Whoa. Never expected to see some of these bands mentioned on here. 

I love Gray Matter and was lucky enough to see them do a reunion set around 12-13 years ago. They sounded great and were very tight. Only downside was they didn't play more than two songs off my favorite release from them, which is Thog (I may be in the minority on this). 

Re: Shoulder, I was aware of them, I think they split up around the time I started to going to more shows in the 90s. Sadly I never managed to pick up their releases and some of them are difficult to find now. 

Sunny Day Real Estate, kind of cliche now because so many bands attempted to imitate them but their first two albums have held up over time IMHO. I saw the tour for their third album and they were great also. I thought the third album was decent at the time but may have to revisit it as I haven't heard it in years. At one point I think they started sounding like an indie rock version of Rush or something and it just wasn't my thing at all. I do like Jeremy Enigk's first solo album which I think is underrated. 

Small Brown Bike - I was at a few of their early shows and bought their demo tape and first couple 7''s. Funny story - there was a big pressing defect on all the initial copies of their second 7'' so I never got to hear those tracks properly until they were reissued on CD a bit later. I liked their early material best and only heard the album stuff here and there. They were also excellent live. 

-------------
Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Only downside was they didn't play more than two songs off my favorite release from them, which is Thog (I may be in the minority on this).

Love Thog! Hope it gets a new pressing soon.

Re: Shoulder, I was aware of them, I think they split up around the time I started to going to more shows in the 90s. Sadly I never managed to pick up their releases and some of them are difficult to find now.

If you get a chance to pick up a copy of the Touch LP or CD, I highly recommend it :)

Really cool regarding the stories -- unfortunately I haven't had a chance to see any of these bands live and I didn't get into punk rock until around the mid-90s.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm

If you get a chance to pick up a copy of the Touch LP or CD, I highly recommend it :)

The label (CTW) that put it out used to have a travelling distro (this was common back then - other labels had them also) and would appear at many shows I used to go to with records and CDs for sale. For some reason I never picked any of the Shoulder stuff up. Later on the label developed a shady rep and closed in the early 2000s, and by then most of their releases were very difficult to find. I still have a couple releases on the label on CD (Thoughts of Ionesco) that I repurchased years after I sold my original copies. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:52pm

Later on the label developed a shady rep and closed in the early 2000s, and by then most of their releases were very difficult to find. I still have a couple releases on the label on CD (Thoughts of Ionesco) that I repurchased years after I sold my original copies.

Yea it seems to be a very unfortunate issue of that time that many of the small labels weren't run properly and a lot of artists unfortunately seemed to get screwed as a result. Not that it doesn't happen with major labels either of course.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 3:35pm

Yea it seems to be a very unfortunate issue of that time that many of the small labels weren't run properly and a lot of artists unfortunately seemed to get screwed as a result. Not that it doesn't happen with major labels either of course.

I didn't know the guy personally, but in a lot of situations like this what happens is the label owner is just a regular guy that has no idea how to run a business, doesn't try to get help, and ends up in over their head. I've seen this many times with a variety of small businesses, and at the end of the day, record labels are just small businesses. 

In the case of CTW, the owner got into a very public spat with two different bands on his label at two different times. One band ended up re-releasing the recording on their friend's label and went out of their way to tell folks not to buy the CTW version. This was in the mid-90s so mostly played out in zines and advertisements in distro catalogs, and so on. 

After the label closed the owner formed a MySpace marketing agency for bands - no idea what he is doing now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:20pm

I didn't know the guy personally, but in a lot of situations like this what happens is the label owner is just a regular guy that has no idea how to run a business, doesn't try to get help, and ends up in over their head. I've seen this many times with a variety of small businesses, and at the end of the day, record labels are just small businesses.

Yea that's more or less what I figured. It's kinda amazing to me that any labels survived from that era though, like Dischord. Really interesting to hear some of that history tho.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:58pm

Yea that's more or less what I figured. It's kinda amazing to me that any labels survived from that era though, like Dischord. Really interesting to hear some of that history tho.

When Dischord started, it was a seat of the pants thing like any other indie label. Over time they got organized, which is why they were able to survive, not to mention having a good catalog and loyal fans. 

One problem a lot of labels got into in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s was a Production and Distribution deal through a third party distributor. Companies like Rough Trade U.S., Dutch East India, or EFA would have an arrangement with a bunch of indie labels to actual oversee manufacturing and distribution of physical releases. Gradually it became a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul for those distros to stay open, and when they collapsed a lot of labels went with them and were owed money, since the distros also took care of things like accounting and royalty payments. A huge mess. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 9:08pm
Yea that just sounds like a recipe for disaster. I do recall there were a lot of old distributors that went out of business too like Lumberjack and Cargo and a bunch of others I can't remember

Posted By: AlienRendel
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 6:16pm
I'm a big fan of "Return of the Giant Slits" as it took the punk fascination with dub & reggae into a really interesting place and presaged the 80s world music movement.

-------------
Ortophon 2M Blue cartridge> Music Hall mmf-2.2le > Graham Slee V Era Gold (w/mono switch)> Kenwood AR-A5080> Paradigm Titan speakers

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net