FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best all-rounder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ManuelC View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManuelC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:21pm

"As far as I have been able to ascertain, the purpose of any "hifi" amplifier is to pass a signal from input to output without affecting the sound in anyway (other than gain, of course).  So, if the recording sounds poor, it should sound poor but louder at the other end." Originally posted by Dave Millier.Clap
I agree 100%. And I feel that messing with anything at the source won't help much.

Edited by ManuelC - 26 Jun 2008 at 2:31pm
stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by ManuelC ManuelC wrote:

"As far as I have been able to ascertain, the purpose of any "hifi" amplifier is to pass a signal from input to output without affecting the sound in anyway (other than gain, of course).  So, if the recording sounds poor, it should sound poor but louder at the other end." Originally posted by Dave Millier.
I agree 100%. And I feel that messing with anything at the source won't help much.

In a perfect world, this would be the perfect amplifier!!
In reality, this does not exist !

ManuelC View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManuelC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 3:44pm
Quite. I take the quoted words as a useful guideline.

Edited by ManuelC - 26 Jun 2008 at 3:45pm
stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:02pm
I think the same could be said about loudspeakers
a perfect speaker would be one that added nothing and took nothing away from the signal fed to it.
In reallity , in every speaker design there is a trade off of some kind !!
you could by the most nuetral source, amp, speakers and cabling, and it can still sound like a sack of sh*te !! 
Its a f*****g minefield

im also a big believer that room acoustics will ultimately dictate how good its going to sound through loudspeakers, with bass frequencies being the most difficult to get right Confused

Edited by stuxter - 26 Jun 2008 at 4:13pm
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:07pm
Well no........, I don't agree at all. Shocked
Messing with the source (LP) is what all different turntables/arms/cartridges combi's do.
Mechanical influence in one way or another changes the sourcesound very very much.
So even if we did have "straight wire amplifications" (luckily the Reflex has build in a correction Smile) we must live with that.
And let's not forget the variables on the other side of the sound-chain.

AFAIK; in my mediocre system, if I make a change in one piece of the chain, I'll have to change or adjust some others (cables, placement etc) to give me the better result I like.
It's never a question of get-out/drop-in change and OK for me. Han
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Cyreg Cyreg wrote:

Well no........, I don't agree at all. Shocked
Messing with the source (LP) is what all different turntables/arms/cartridges combi's do.
Mechanical influence in one way or another changes the sourcesound very very much.
So even if we did have "straight wire amplifications" (luckily the Reflex has build in a correction Smile) we must live with that.
And let's not forget the variables on the other side of the sound-chain.

AFAIK; in my mediocre system, if I make a change in one piece of the chain, I'll have to change or adjust some others (cables, placement etc) to give me the better result I like.
It's never a question of get-out/drop-in change and OK for me. Han
Ok , if its `straightwire`sound your heart and ears desire............
if you have ever had the privelage (brain drain)of mixing in a studio, the monitoring system is  ruthlessley revealing and uncloured and not at all musical( ask Graham) and a second (coloured) pair of monitors is required to`judge`the sound, to get a feel of how its gonna sound on a domestic system  . Its not for sitting back and listening, it is used as a tool. So in reallity, a slight colouration of sound on a domestic system is something that you would not want to be without. Smile
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 10:20pm
The quality of the original recording and the room acoustics are the most important factors IMO.

The room acoustics completely swamp the tonal differences between equipment. How can some tiny subtle improvement in say soundstage width between amps compare in significance with a 25bB resonant boom from the room at say 75Hz? The boom will absolutely dominate the sound.

But even if you are lucky with the acoustics and have a system whose colourations sit well with the room characteristics, there is still the question of recording quality.

IMO the differences in recording quality between a selection of typical commerical recordings are at least 10x larger than the differences between say a Dual 505 and a Pink Triangle turntable (or a NAD 3020 and a Mark Levinson or Acoustic Research or Krell amps)...

It's amazing how good my Barb Jungr recordings sound and how bad "Inflammable Material" sounds.  So many pop/rock recordings are horribly compressed, muddy sounding wall of sound effect. The Linn recordings are so "open" and spacius and dynamic in comparison.   

Originally posted by stuxter stuxter wrote:

I think the same could be said about loudspeakers
a perfect speaker would be one that added nothing and took nothing away from the signal fed to it.
In reallity , in every speaker design there is a trade off of some kind !!
you could by the most nuetral source, amp, speakers and cabling, and it can still sound like a sack of sh*te !! 
Its a f*****g minefield

im also a big believer that room acoustics will ultimately dictate how good its going to sound through loudspeakers, with bass frequencies being the most difficult to get right Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic