FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Auditory Dementia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:25am
That's more likely to be the case.
With this dealer's argument, surely any HiFi equipment built with internal cabling, or indeed a printed circuit board 'wears out' after a few years & must be replaced - how nice for the dealer Party
Elevator, Accession, Majestic, Reflex M, Solo ULDE, CuSat & Lautus.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 11:18pm
Yes, it's almost admirable to warn unsuspecting hi-fi owners of their peril!
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 11:39pm
Well one amp I'm using is from 1974! I wonder why it still works,and sounds the same as I remember when I use to repair them in the 70 's.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 9:52pm
I'd almost forgotten what this thread sounded like...

When I played REM's Green this evening, I realised it had been some years since I last played it. Whilst enjoying the songs I noticed backing tracks I hadn't heard before and it generally sounded better IMO. Another example of auditory recollection that suggests the 4/8 second science has been taken out of context.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 31 Jan 2015 at 10:07pm
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
abmscopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abmscopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 1:44pm
With apologies for resurrecting a 5 year old thread !) Regarding the 4/8 second memory thing, i'd always need to refer to the original study to make a proper judgment on the validity of the statement. In context it may well be referring to one very specific circumstance and aspect of audio memory. I seriously doubt the study concluded that people can't remember what music sounds like or indeed what the relative bass/mid/high levels of a particular amp are. I suspect it might refer to less tangible aspects such as instrument placement in a soundstage, which between two phono amps, for example, might be very subtle.
Anyway, it sounds like the kind of study I'd enjoy reading so if anyone has a link to the research please do let me know!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic