FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analogue remaster = Analogue original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Teesside Tom Teesside Tom wrote:

Good morning, 
                      If any member has bought the second release (on vinyl) of the Beatles album 1967 to 1970 which was rereleased a few years ago after being remastered from the original analogue tapes at Abbey Road I would like to hear their opinions of their listening experience(s) , thank you.

Hi David

If you've got the 2014 "AAA" remaster as cut by Sean Magee (https://www.discogs.com/release/6378753-The-Beatles-1967-1970), interweb consensus is that it should sound good (see also Michael Fremer on this - https://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-red-and-blue-album-reissues-aaa-all-way- though he's referring to the US issues pressed at QRP). 

The caveat with all of this is that cutting at Abbey Road is digitally controlled - so not strictly AAA according to the purist mob, e.g. this commentator on Fremer's piece: 

While the original analog tapes might be used, and an analog chain in processing, the signal cut into the lacquer [and hence, pressed into vinyl] may actually be digital. The reason is that most plants use a digital preview [or computer] to control groove spacing. That means that the actual signal is in the digital domain. No longer analog. As I understand it, purely analog cutter head signal previews are extremely, extremely rare, and even then engineers hate working with them due to the guessing and manual work involved. A digital signal, controlled by an app, solves the whole issue. Furthermore, I gather than probably all of today's wonderfully produced and pressed re-issues are actually digitally previewed, making them actually digital LP's, or pseudo-CD's.

A further complicating factor is the existence of the 2018 iteration pressed by GZ (https://www.discogs.com/release/15247726-The-Beatles-1967-1970), which claims the same "AAA" status as the 2014 issue via its hype sticker:

However, this one seems to be universally reviled by purchasers, many of whom describe it as "digitally cut". How to tell them apart? Apparently as follows:

You can identify the pressing by looking at 1. The logo next to the barcode on the back, 2. Reading the text on the right of the apple on the back. If it has a Universal logo, it is the 2014 Analog cut. If it has a Capitol/UMG logo, it's the awful 2018 version. 

For comparison, 'Near Mint' copies of the original 1973 UK issue (definitely AAA!) are currently going on Discogs for between £28 and a top-end £55 - of course, they're not as rare/collectible as the 60s LPs in that condition, and there must be hundreds of thousands of copies out there...

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:45pm
To me it looks like, If you are into 60s & 70s music then you are better off buy a second hand copy that way you know your getting pure analogue. That said I have had very good remasters, both on vinyl and CD. Again. To me there are good and bad when it comes to remasters and you have to take a chance or find a good review(s) THEY are out there.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 2:24pm
One company that I have good experience with is Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab their recordings have been vary good, A bit on the expensive side but you do have to pay that bit more for quality. The down side is they do limit the amount they release. In their word  "reissues"

Edited by lfc jon - 10 Oct 2021 at 3:31pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
Thank you for the replies, I have several Beatles albums including both the red and blue from way back on cd and possibly listening to these has coloured my expectations of the vinyl version however there has obviously been a lot of stitching together of different takes and speed alterations etc, very disappointing really from such musically talented people.
The good news is as pointed out by fluddite the cover carries the Universal logo. 

Can anyone tell me why the two screen shots which I loaded onto my posts did not transmit with my text. I first tried by adding them below the text (like an email attach.) when that did not work I converted them to pdf which also failed and then tried a 3rd time sending them without text, another fail. I have copied and pasted before (not screen shot) no problem, is the screen shot the issue ?    Thank you.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Teesside Tom Teesside Tom wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the two screen shots which I loaded onto my posts did not transmit with my text. I first tried by adding them below the text (like an email attach.) when that did not work I converted them to pdf which also failed and then tried a 3rd time sending them without text, another fail. I have copied and pasted before (not screen shot) no problem, is the screen shot the issue ?    Thank you.
Have you posted the images up on a 3rd party hosting site, such as postimages.org?

Edited by Chris Firth - 10 Oct 2021 at 5:29pm
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm
Hi Chris, the answer is no really, having done the internet search I could see near to the top of the page the two hits from Quora and Analogue Planet had the info I was looking for. 
As I could not select the part of the text I wanted in the normal way I did a screen shot and then Edit > Copy and then Edit > Paste - both were showing under the text I had typed when I clicked on Post Reply. Thanks.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:52pm
With a screenshot you need to open paint (assuming that you're using Windows) and paste the image.
You can then save the image to upload to a 3rd party host.

This image is from a screenshot.
It is uploaded to the image host I mentioned.

Edited by Chris Firth - 10 Oct 2021 at 11:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic