FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alignment tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment tools
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 12:55pm
On my Rega P3-24 and Technics SL1210 I have been using paper alignment protractors for a few years now. These are arc protractors I got from the Vinyl Engine website and I would put them on top of an old LP, using Blu-tac to lock the platter in place. I bought a Clearaudio Alignment Gauge recently and would now recommend this.

Why do this: records are cut in a straight line from edge to centre but the standard tonearm is pivoted so the stylus (and cartridge) follow an arc. The various alignments will minimise the distortion caused by the angle of the stylus in the groove.

How 1: Paper arc protractor - see above. Assuming you use the correct arc and it is to scale, the main challenge is ensuring the protractor is correctly positioned. That means cutting the right size hole for the spindle and pointing the baseline at the pivot.

How 2: the Clearaudio alignment gauge has a ruled arm with a thin rod you position on the centre of the top of the arm pivot. It is quite easy to use after the first go (!) and now gives me quick and repeatable results on both decks with different cartridges. It is £190 but is well made and offers some alignment options I liked.

Tip: I use a Linen Tester I bought from Maplin, A82AW - £7.49. It's a 6x magnifier lens in a hinged frame. Before moving the tonearm across I put the magnifier just in front of the alignment grid cartridge, centred and focussed on the alignment point. The new Smart Tractor uses the same idea!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 1:50pm
Thanks Jon, I may one day get one of these, although with a single turntable/cartridge I have previously only used the Vinyl Engine paper protractor

A tip for anyone printing a Paper arc protractor: One way to cut the hole accurately for the spindle is to use a pin and make small holes closely spaced as possible along the printed centre circle. If done carefully and using slightly thicker photo print paper, it pushes out easily along the perforations. Done this way, the hole can be pretty accurate

I also found that printing in red ink made it easier to see the stylus tracking the arc during alignment

Not as good as the Clearaudio gauge of course but may help for anyone on a tight budget.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 2:57pm
Jon-is the Clearaudio device calibrated in millimetres or inches for the effective arm length setting? Thanks.
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 5:11pm
The ruler on the bar is in mm and measures the arm mounting distance pivot to spindle, with the thin rod centred on the tone arm pivot. You then adjust the cartridge position in the head shell so the stylus/cantilever is aligned to the grid on the protractor.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 5:38pm
Thanks Jon. I was mistakenly under the impression that the adjustable "rod" was first set to the arm's effective length. I've been considering one for sometime now but the price has put me off somewhat.
It certainly looks much easier than setting the stylus to two separate points and still ensuring the cantilever lines up with the grid too! I get quite irate with myself at times trying to align a cartridge, this might well help control the blood pressure!
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 6:05pm
Those are/were our shared frustrations! I have found it much easier, especially when I put the 6x magnifier to use to assist my aging eyes. I use a standard Helix ruler to keep the magnifier square to the grid.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:58pm
It also offers a useful feature that can be emulated with multiple paper protractors: increasing the inner groove radius from the IEC standard of 60.325mm. Using 75mm halves the distortion provided your records have plenty of space between the last track on the side and the record label.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic