FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession Duo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:18am
You can have it plain - YAY! Big smile

As for the size, the plug-in boards aren't simple little 3 transistor boards some 70s manufacturer made a killing out of, and gathered an oh so one way mind following with. Those fitted in a 76mm high case.

The component density of the Accession MM is greater than the Majestic. It took down my beloved 1989 DOS CAD software through lack of available extended memory. A massive contrast to what some people get off on in this age.

In the Accession MC there are a lot of components which simply can't be fitted on in 2D, so have to be soldered on the underside.

And every single component serves a proper function. There's no bloat to boast with. Few designers are capable of packaging audio circuitry at such density and is the very reason why YRN used to pay me the equivalent of 50-60K in today's money... back in the day when one's abilities were actually rewarded (just before it all went down the tubes - as it is today).

Forget the mixer (it's OK, I can feel it being used to whip me) but there are two different phono preamplifiers to do two different tasks properly and which don't muddy the waters in the "accepted way" (simple minded designers - and reviewers it seems - believe an MC stage is an MM stage with more gain, or, an MM stage is an MC stage with padding).

Then there is need of an output board to which is switched the output of the phono preamplifier boards. So that makes three circuit cards and I have not yet included the one required to give an output so large as to drive the beloved valve amplifiers designed by revered designers who somehow cannot make them sensitive enough (although such mastery was abundant in the 1960s).

I must resist the temptation to publish the abbreviation FFS!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 6:28am
Thank you Graham. At what is double the height of the majestic I cannot accommodate the height so sadly will have to stand aside of the new MC Accession and spend pennies on something else. Width and depth not an issue.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Thank you Graham. At what is double the height of the majestic I cannot accommodate the height so sadly will have to stand aside of the new MC Accession and spend pennies on something else. Width and depth not an issue.

I don't think the height mentioned will apply to a solo Accession MC, but just to the twin.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

simple minded designers - and reviewers it seems - believe an MC stage is an MM stage with more gain

I suppose I should understand it all a lot better than I do, but I get lost in the technical stuff! In simple, very simple, terms how is an Accession MC better than an Accession MM + Elevator.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

135mm high, is that correct? Thanks over 5 inches and that is 2 1/2 times the current sizing?
I don't think Graham was saying that's how big the Duo would be, it was just an example of how big home equipment can be. Or have I got this wrong?Confused
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Then there is need of an output board to which is switched the output of the phono preamplifier boards. So that makes three circuit cards and I have not yet included the one required to give an output so large as to drive the beloved valve amplifiers designed by revered designers who somehow cannot make them sensitive enough (although such mastery was abundant in the 1960s).
So the Duo's development is (to put it simply) - taking the existing MM & MC circuit cards, making the output card(s) and physically arranging the controls for the casework? (And designing the front and back panels). So not a lot to do, then . . . Shocked 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 1:13pm
Based on what Richard said I think the duo or twin needs to be a new topic.

The Accession MC is the same size as the existing MM.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic