FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why is Sennheiser HD250 Mr.Slee's favorite?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 11:37am
There was a pair needing new earpads that went for ~£45 four weeks ago. Compared to original RRP (£~170), £130 is not great for secondhand but for value, I'd say well worth a punt if you've not heard them. The seller claims refurbishment of pads. I have two pairs (only 1 fully broken in) and they get 80-90% of head time vs.

HD650 (more forgiving of poor recordings)
K701 (present vocals clearly and though I think GS has revised his opinion since '08, his criticisms are still largely correct IMHO)
RS-1 (need to try this with the ultra linear!!)
DT770 (decent once broken in but can still be harsh in the treble region and not absolutely best-paired with 2006 solo)
HD25-1 (brilliant on the move paired with voyager)
IE8 (when isolation is a must)
SE530 (additional backup!!).

Suffice to say... I'm considering picking up another pair as Graham's new-found HD800s are expensive and open backed (family household ;-) )

Good luck - let us know how you get on   

Edited by jamescodway - 04 Jul 2010 at 11:42am
Voyager - HD25
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 3:32pm
James if you RS-1 are new of have little head time you can improve the comfort by lightly washing the foam pads by hand in lukewarm water using a mild liquid soap. Rinse by padding/compressing and then air dry overnight.
Miguel
hotmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:12pm
Thanks for that info James. It seems that there are still plenty of HD250s to be found in the S/H market, then. Maybe I'll wait for one that's more competitively priced.

So now for the $64,000 question, to help me prioritise what I should do in the short term.
Which of the following two options do you think is likely to yield the greater improvement in perceived sound quality (after appropriate burn-in):

a) Upgrade my Solo MC to Ultra-Linear, and keep my HD650s for the time being; or

b) Defer the UL upgrade for the moment, and replace the HD650s instead?

Confused
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:19pm
I wouldn't say the HD250s come up *that* regularly in the UK... hence the £130 asking price. FWIW, 1 of the 4 has gone already.

I haven't heard even SRG, let alone UL but I can vouch for HD250 over HD650 w/ my '06 solo/psu1 (albeit takes a little ear/brain adjustment)... half decent HD650s seem to be going on ebay for ~£140 unboxed.

Miguel, thanks very much for the tip ... I'm really hoping UL will bring them alive (I know they can sound amazing - just not with any amps I have right now) as it happens, I'm pretty immune to can discomfort.

Best

James

P.S. tho' inconsistent with GS' view... I think HD250s sound better w/650 cable...

Edited by jamescodway - 04 Jul 2010 at 9:49pm
Voyager - HD25
hotmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by jamescodway jamescodway wrote:

as it happens, I'm pretty immune to can discomfort.

I thought I was, too, but I'm becoming increasingly conscious of, and irritated by, the excessive clamping force that the HD650s exert on my ears.

Discomfort notwithstanding, I am interested to see what the Ultra-Linear is able to coax out of them, and of course I do still have my trusty old Sony MDR-CD770s as a fallback if necessary. Having just re-read all the reviews, I think I will therefore take the plunge and go for the UL upgrade on my Solo MC. Smile

Edited by hotmog - 05 Jul 2010 at 1:46pm
pompeyexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pompeyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:52pm
I must be one lucky son of a gun because not long after getting my Solo last year my old pair of Sennhieser's (540 reference) died on me. Wondering what to buy I came on here for some advice and reading about Graham's favourite headphones out of curiosity I went onto Ebay. I immediately found a pair of 250 Linear II's for the princely sum of £50 still boxed still with a guarantee never been used.
Of course I was dubious but knowing that paying with Paypal I had some security if they were dud took a punt.

What can I say? They were as described in perfect condition and since using them have spent more and more time listening to my music through them. As a precaution I also purchased a spare pair of ear pads and inner foam covers, so i'm set for a few years.

Thanks Graham.

oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:32pm
I agree re the HD 250 Linear IIs. My old set are used mainly for at  home MP3 player(Cowon S9) listening through a GS Voyager when I can't be bothered flashing up the main hi fi and 'phones!
Like you pompeyexile I've a spare set of new, unopened, pads and foam, in fact only recently obtained from Germany.
I've read personal reviews of the 250s and the odd individuals say they're "rubbish, no bass etc.". They must be listening through their arse!

Edited by oldagetraveller - 10 Aug 2010 at 8:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic