FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which headphones sound good with the Solo ULDE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:39pm
Our own John C is looking after the UK loaner program and is 22 miles from you in South Anston if you wanted to collect (hint).

Gringley, Blyth, Oldcotes, Dinnington, ... not giving away your exact location Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:48pm
I'm a bit of an opportunist here but I intend to sell my last AKG K1000 soon. I would ask £1700 for it, due to the excellent condition and it is complete with box and manual. So that is close to your starting point. It beats the HD800 in my opinion and if you take care of it, it will maintain its value, unlike the HD800. Just an idea; I would like to do a few more listening comparisons with it against MySphere 3.1 before I finally part with it.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 4:52am
Ash is so right about the K1000 vs HD800. Comfortably. It’s an acquired visual taste, but if you’re after sound it’d be tough to beat at that price. I think your idea of buying secondhand is exactly the way to go. You’ll get a much better product for the money. Same with the DAC. A used Qutest plus a used high quality headphone could have you set for years. Then a Solo ULDE would make perfect sense. Please borrow one from the loan programme. Then you don’t need to take anyone’s opinion because you can form your own. 
As for headphones, my first quality one was the Jecklin Float Model 2. It blew my mind for detail and soundstage. After that I bought a HD600 used. I instantly understood why it’s a classic. And it was bang on half retail price. When I sold it I got my money back - that’s the beauty of the used headphone market, you can try and if you don’t like it, re-sell for little or no loss.
Good luck!
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:39am
I support Mick's suggestion about buying good quality second-hand headphones to learn and progress. That is exactly what I did and I managed to experience products that would have otherwise been unobtainable. If you do wish to use the K1000 with the Solo ULDE, it will give you an insight into what MySphere can do. The Solo doesn't have enough gain to use the K1000 drivers completely fully opened out at high volume; you would need the Proprius for that. I used Majestic DAC into Solo UL with fully-opened K1000 about 6 years ago and both gain dials were being almost maxed out. If I recall correctly, I set Majestic to maximum but Solo could not go past 3 o'clock without pushing the signal into severe distortion; it had reached its very limit. So you will have to use the drivers closer to the ears to reduce the required amplification. Half-open drivers will allow you to provide plenty of volume while maintaining signal fidelity. A very musical experience that led me to sell all of my "chambered" headphones as the difference of listening in completely open-air was VERY significant compared to having the ears enclosed. The bass; oh my god! I never understand people who say K1000 lacks bass, WTF?? Amp them properly and position them on the head with some care and the bass quality slays the competition, assuming you don't want a highly elevated dB SPL response. Although you could apply EQ to tweak it if you want. The mid-bass to low midrange is actually slightly elevated by a couple of dB SPL so I would personally use an EQ to attenuate this slight emphasis. But it can be fun with some music and barely affects the tonal accuracy of the whole.

P.S I don't currently have a jack cable for the K1000 and would have to obtain one so you can plug it in to the Solo. I would request an additional £50 and some time to source it and have it made.

Edited by Ash - 26 Jun 2021 at 7:53am
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 9:28am
Hi apj
I'm a bit late to the party 
Are you going to be only using headphones? and what way are you going to listen to music ie vinyl or digital? If you are going to be only listening with headphones that's fine. But if you going to be listening with speakers too may I suggest as you are on a budget you get a amp with out a headphone amp and phono amp as I did, as I was going to use GS gear for this. this can save you money and may get you a better sound with speakers listening, this is not a given but why spend on a amp with both when you are not going to use them.

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic